Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Things we never knew about our cars
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Nick Dean

United Kingdom
444 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  21:21:07  Show Profile
When rebuilding my first P type (DG 9126) in the late 60s, we found
a pair of molegrips in the sump,,obviously not rusty, my flatmate
Nigel Reilly also had a PA, and the landladys son was rebuilding
a Nippy in the dining room, the dog was called Austin. Happy days.

N A Dean
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2010 :  22:38:04  Show Profile
Hi Nick,

I had a Nippy a few years back, great little car but not as quick as my PA.

My PA came with a TA engine and gearbox, then it had a Morris A series engine and box but now it has the proper one fitted.

Previous to my ownership there was evedence of a F**D engine,
That's four different types of engines fitted.
I wonder if I can squeeze a Merlin V12 in it.

Fred...
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
431 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2010 :  18:59:15  Show Profile

On the topic of fuel gauges reserve taps and all that.
J midgets had a reserv tap. Slightly more expensive L magnas had a reserve tap and an archimedian fuel gauge on the tank. Top of the range K types had a reservetap and a fuelgauge (Hobson I think)on the dashboard.

So what was the use of a fuel gauge on the tank? After long thinking I have a possible explanation. In those days petrol was pumped up by a handpump in a glass on the pump and then dispensed by gravity into the car's tank.
So you needed to tell the attendant how many gallons (or units of five litres on the continent) you needed. No fill her up please.
Is that a plausible explanation? Any better?
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2010 :  21:49:00  Show Profile
One of the maintenance jobs which I love to hate is lubricating the chassis and brake cables. Messy job if you want to make sure that the oil has fully penetrated every where it should. I use a Wanner grease gun as an oil gun. However to prevent leakage I drain it when I have finished the job. On one occasion I unscrewed the barrel of the gun and "Whooosh!" ; I had forgotten to de-tension the spring so my bench and I got covered in 140 oil.

A contributing problem was that the thread had stripped in the ally housing on the n/s/f brake cable so it was difficult to get oil in without it leaking everywhere. The housing is tapped 5/16 BSF and is not really big enough to take 3/8 BSF so I decided that a 9mm thread was the solution. However a new 9mm taper and plug tap and die was rather a significant investment considering that I would probably not use them ever again. So I put up with the inconvenience for some while. Then when I went to an open day at Myfords factory, I found, on a stall of used tooling, the two 9mm taps and the die which I wanted; cost a fiver. Obviously Myford has also had a one off requirement for a 9mm thread sometime in the past. So I tapped the brake cable housing 9mm, bought some brass hex and made a new banjo bolt with a 9mm thread. Yes imperial head / metric thread, read about that somewhere before! (You have to win sometimes)

Peter
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2010 :  16:19:25  Show Profile
Have you notices how when you remove the swept wings of (in my case) a PA, there is much more room to walk round the car in the garage?! (They are to be repainted and refitted but I'm very tempted to switch to cycle wings ...)

And what a pain it is to remove swept front wings, what with the Hartford brackets and wiring etc.

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2010 :  11:47:17  Show Profile
Dick

I story told to me regards the beniifit of swept wings came via the great MG storyman Wilson McComb when racing a Riley special in Ulster.

"I noticed that my car was every bit as quick as everyone but I was still a second or so slower than 1 chap with swept wings.
Having been told the weight saving etc.. of cycle wings I was amazed that he was quicker than me - until entering a conrner side by side with him in the race he was able to brake later than me.
When I tried to brake later the axle tramp was so bad that both front wheels looked like they were trying to meet across the top of the bonnet so I backed off.
After the race I enquired about the swept wings and did that help with the axle tramp to which my new found freind said "Sure I had the self same problem meeself with cycle wings - now with the standard wings I cant see them bouncing so it doesnt bother me!".

Also cycle wings aints as good in the rain!

Plus you want to try one with naked wheels all round in the wet - that is really LOVELY!
Your right elbow gets soaked of the rear wheel.
Both front wheels deposit about 20 gallons a second straight into yer lap and when you turn into a sharp corner and lean out to balance yourself the right hand front tyre throws water straight at yer face!

I love swept wings - why else was the J2 fitted with em in 33?

Mind you swept wings are a pain in the sit upon when trying to work on the car I agree - but spare a thought for TF owners they really ARE cramped and difficult to work on - plus the bonnet sides dont lift up with the bonnet top giving you a letter box to work through!

Car designers do not tend to think of working on their vehicle once completed.
In fact I am sure they dont really intend them to be used at all - just looked at and admired.
The most lovely to look at are usually the worst to work on - T35 Bugatti you have to take the engine or back axle out to remove the gearbox!

This is why we LOVE our cars so much - the fun it gives us moaning about their little shortcommings - when in fact the best bit is actually using them.
This was we tend to forget and forgive the shortcomming and remember what fun they are to drive.

Regards David
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000