Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Rhombic panel switches
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  21:46:24  Show Profile
The two upper switches are Push/Pull which is presumeably Pull ON but what action are the two lower indicator switches please. Forgive my ignorance but I never had more than the oil pressure gauge, horn button and ignition light of the original dashboard.

Maurice Blakey.

Edited by - Cymber on 06/12/2010 21:47:18

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  21:58:38  Show Profile
They are momentary contact switches to operate the trafficators - one switch for each trafficator.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2010 :  22:24:43  Show Profile
Thanks Lou.
That is just what I wanted them to be as I have an idea for an electronic flasher system with a timed cancel which would give Hazard warning by pressing both buttons. Unfortunately I don't know enough about modern electronics to design it but probably know someone who can.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  00:25:27  Show Profile
Hi Lew,

You are right of course about the indicator switches, but one of the most amusing bits of MG sales literature is that they were sometimes described as "self cancelling". So they are, as naturally when you take your finger off the semaphore drops down.

Oh well, it makes me laugh - old age I expect.

More technical ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  03:30:08  Show Profile
On my TD, I simply hooked an electronic beeper to the indicator on the instrument panel so as the signals flash the beeper sounds. Not exactly self cancelling, but certainly reminds me to turn them off.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

whirlwind

New Zealand
94 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  06:11:49  Show Profile
I'm also looking at the problem of the momentary contact switches used for the trafficators. I thought about using them to control electronic flip-flops to give a push-On/push-Off function and (as mentioned by Lew) a buzzer/s to indicate that a traffictor was functioning.
I now intend to take a step backward in technology and use the front part of the momentary switch (to give the correct look) & connect it to a Lucas mechanical tumbler switch for the push-On/push-Off function.

Colin Smithson
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  11:48:07  Show Profile
Electronics are the coward's way out.

The digital determination needed to combine changing gear, manipulating the trafficator push-button in the full and certain knowledge that following traffic won't see the lit-up arm anyway is what makes the MMM driver grey-haired while keeping one young. Add frantic hand signals for the full experience.

On the other hand, most MMM car are very easy to drive when compared to, say, a pre-'30 Austin 7, for instance, where use of the handbrake to work the front brakes, foot pedal for the rear, a very wide-ratio three-speed plus an advance and retard lever and an absence of electric signals, let alone any of the more quirky pre-'30 motors with back to front 'boxes and central throttles.

Only an M-Type comes close.
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  11:54:35  Show Profile
Some time ago I fitted flashing indicators to my PA, with an old three way (non self cancelling) switch hidden just under the dashboard. To make sure I remember to cancel, I have wired this through the dashboard lights, and during the day I remove the diver's helmet in front of me, so that the light flashes in my line of sight.

I love the idea that the original system was "self cancelling"

Colin.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  12:18:17  Show Profile
I also fitted flashing indicators to my PA and added a repeater light on the dashboard. The repeater light was a bit intermittent (earthing problem? Who knows?!)

So I added an inexpensive bleeper (obtained from Maplin) to the circuit and that always seems to work OK, as you just can't forget that you are flashing!

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  12:34:37  Show Profile
Hi Maurice
Thank you for the update to my brain. For my rhombic panel I have two pull on / push off switches and two twist clockwise on / twist anti-clockwise off. I guess the twist switches are incorrect? I thought the problem was going to be how to remember to turn them off (light and/or loud clicker) but if my switches are wrong and the issue is how to make them stay on for a set number of seconds then an electronic solution is simple. Let me know about the switches and I will put some thought to a circuit.
Nick

Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  12:38:59  Show Profile
Hi Nick

Sounds like you'll need another chapter or two for that book!

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  13:44:49  Show Profile
Hi Dick
Don't! It is already much bigger and taking much longer to write than I expected. Still, I have learned alot about other MMM models along the way and I am certain not to have all the details correct. I had better call it version 1?
Nick

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  18:49:57  Show Profile
The trouble with a timer is that, as with the vacuum one fitted to the MGA, it always turns itself off just as you reach the junction; unless of course you start indicating only yards before as so many seem to.

Throughout the '80s our family car was a Citroen whose indicators were specifically NOT self cancelling. You soon developed the habit of cancelling them after use. Unfortunately Citroen now follows the mainstream.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  20:40:46  Show Profile
Hi Dave
Another option would be to have the switch arranged one press on, next press cancels?
Can you tell me if the turn signal switches should be momentary ON push switches?
Nick

Go to Top of Page

Dan F

USA
845 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  20:52:32  Show Profile
All very interesting. Does anyone have any pictures of what proper switches should look like ?
Thanks,
Dan
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  21:21:01  Show Profile
Dan
Yours may be correct, if someone can post a picture that will clear up yet another question.
Nick

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000