Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Rhombic panel switches
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  22:05:36  Show Profile
Nick,

The switches are "push-on, release-off" i.e. momentary or, as Colin says, "self-cancelling"!

Dan, here are pics of an original one

As has been suggested above, I was thinking in terms of using electronics to turn them into "push-on, push-off" however I'm now leaning more towards using "milk churn switches" as used for the dash lamps & spare as being a simpler & barely noticeable mod.

As a warning lamp I was thinking of replacing the "MG" button on the octagonal panel with an ignition warning lamp with a green glass. All just ideas at present though.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  22:50:02  Show Profile
Dave,

I have used brown push pull milk churn switches for the lower indicator switches and work well and look good.
I even have hazard warning if I pull both out and I have wired a green lamp on a small chrome "L" bracket just under the rhombic panel for visual warning.

Fred....
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2010 :  22:58:04  Show Profile
Thanks for that Fred. Yes, you have to look quite hard to see they're not momentary ones don't you? I think that may well be what I'll do.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  03:37:44  Show Profile
Thank you Fred, that answers that question. Whilst we are on that panel, is the ring under the horn push plated or painted?
Nick

Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be.
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  10:04:17  Show Profile
Hi Nick,

The whole panel is chrome plated and then painted brown leaving the square rings and the outer edge showing the chrome.

The chrome rings are part of the panel and are not separate.

Fred..
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  11:24:06  Show Profile
Just to be clear, the round chrome bits are in fact chromed bezels for the switches. The surrounds of the odometer and trip as well as the outside of the panel are exactly as Fred says - part of the panel.

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  12:23:29  Show Profile
My apologies, I was not clear. I was referring to the horn push & dip switch that is not shown on the picture of the panel. The whole assembly is held together and to the panel by two screws that pass through a metal ring that sits on top of the bakelite housing for the dip switch. Is that ring plated or painted?
Nick

Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  12:53:08  Show Profile
I wonder if this thread should really ask a different question. Who, driving behind you, will notice or understand?
When I drive my PA ,I use the original "self cancel switch" and push it in several times, the theory being that the movement of the arm in and out might catch the eye of the driver behind me. I doubt that 99.9% of drivers in the US would know what that funny thing sticking out of the bonnet means. I then use a hand signal anyway to be sure.
Even that scares me as I estimate that only 50% of drivers know what a hand signal is today and especially from a driver sitting on the right (near the curb) where the hand signals are reversed.

I guess, that the ideal solution would be to devise a method where the arm would go out, stay out and the internal bulb (now an LED) would blink until the unit was cancelled.(self or otherwise)

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  13:22:32  Show Profile
Nick,

I think the answer to your question is, plated.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

whirlwind

New Zealand
94 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2010 :  20:35:15  Show Profile
Mike L
suggests:

I guess, that the ideal solution would be to devise a method where the arm would go out, stay out and the internal bulb (now an LED) would blink until the unit was cancelled.(self or otherwise).

This is exactly the scheme that I'm proposing to use on my PA.
I will be using flashers front & rear, as well as a lucas tumbler switch {Push On-stay on, push again -Off],& since I will be separating the trafficator solenoid from the flasher bulb circuit I also intend to incorporate an isolating switch to prevent the trafficator arm extending when using the car on the open road.

Colin Smithson
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2010 :  12:15:31  Show Profile
Peter - thank you.

Colin - good idea, I will explore that system myself although my experience is that most drivers here haven't found the switch that makes that funny clicking sound. Also turn signals of any sort are probably a waste of effort since between texting, drinking coffee and do their makeup they just do not have time to look out of the car.
Nick

Go to Top of Page

Tim Phelps

United Kingdom
167 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2010 :  20:37:25  Show Profile
Nick,
I agree with Peter. My PA had a horn / dipswitch with a chrome plated separate bezel that was trapped between the switch and the rhombic panel by the two screws. The bezel had an upstand and was L shaped in cross section (if you follow me)so you saw about a quarter of an inch of chrome upstand around the base of the switch. It was loose and I have seen switches without this, but I believe a P Type should have it and it makes that switch more in keeping with the rest of the panel.
Tim
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2010 :  13:12:03  Show Profile
Tim
Thank you, I had forgotten about the chrome baseplate (for want of a better word) but it was actually the metal ring that the screw heads rest on to which I was referring.
Nick

Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2010 :  21:31:51  Show Profile
That was an interesting discussion, thanks all. My idea of the timer came from having a ride in a friend's Alvis Firebird which has a Trico switch with a clockwork timer which seemed a good idea which I had not seen before. I now lean towards adapting the original instantaneous switches to push on / push off with a timer or a bleeper. I look foreward to Nick publishing a circuit.

Maurice Blakey.
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2010 :  22:31:11  Show Profile
All of my cars, except my M-type which did not even have a stop lamp when new and still hasn't (but I always drive with the hood down and wave my arms about!), have "blinkers" on the front and rear. I realise that they look out of place (although I try to hide them as best I can, I count on the "blinking" to draw attention) but I think that safety issues are more important than aesthetics? I live in dread that some following car will run into my restored "slab" tanks! The older MG's, except the M-type, have "winking" lights built into the original front mudguard parkers.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000