Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Rhombic panel switches
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

taterry

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  02:28:02  Show Profile
Nick, you swiches are wrong...should be push buttons...there is a neat electronic solution available from speedway.com
Terry
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2010 :  12:55:08  Show Profile
There is no reason why you cannot devise a suitable relay circuit to make use of the original push switches so that a single push is all you need to activate the indicator's, whether you are using flashers or semaphore or both. It is equally possible to devise an relay based self cancelling system operating in the conventional manner of a modern car. I have done this on my car and it works well.

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

michaelsproule

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  18:53:50  Show Profile
Dick - where did you position the repeater light on the dash? Thanks - Michael.
Go to Top of Page

michaelsproule

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  19:01:29  Show Profile
Gordon - can you explain exactly how you did this. I would like to copy what is a very good solution. Thanks - Michael
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 03/01/2011 :  22:23:46  Show Profile
Michael

I used the spare hole (usually blanked off with an MG medallion) on the n/s ignition switch panel.

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  11:27:15  Show Profile
Interesting thread, when I restored my PA I left the switches as they were, however I purchased new rear lights which looked the same as the originals but had a yellow panel built in for rear flashing indecators for the front flashers it was a simple conversion to the original side lights which allowed for one extra yellow bulb. I used a modern flasher unit plus a buzzer hidden away under the dash. To activate the flashers either left or right I had a small double switch just to the right of the steering wheel and just sticking out from under the bottom of the dash. It could not be seen and best of all it could be operated without taking you hand off the wheel, the system worked perfectly. The original press buttons operated the original indecators arms which I would say are the next best thing to useless in modern traffic.
Happy new year to you all.

Rodney
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  12:45:11  Show Profile
Hi Rodney,

Glad to see you still have an interest in MMM stuff.

Happy New Year.

Fred...
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  13:21:54  Show Profile
I am working on a small circuit that will make the push button a "press for on", "press for off". It works nicely on the bench but I need to try it in an actual car next as the electrical environment in a car is really noisy and renders circuits that work perfectly on the bench completely useless. I will report back when I have completed that task.
My switches are incorrect as they are the same as the panel lights switch, pull on, push off but they will work fine for indicators that have to stay on so I will stick with them.
Nick

Nostalgia just isn't what it used to be.
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  17:35:30  Show Profile
Over the years I have modified my indicator wiring. I had a system as described with relays for push on and the push off and with a buzzer. I had a change over so that I could have flashers on the road and semaphore working on MG displays. As I have to travel around the M25 to get anywhere you cannot hear the loudest buzzer with the tyre noise from lorries etc.

I have now reverted to MK 3 a simple system which is as Rodney describes.

The Semaphores work on the MG switches as original.

The flashing indicators work on a toggle switch which is mounted on a right angled bracket behind the dashboard with less that a 1/3 of the toggle showing pointing downwards. So I know what the indicators are doing if I cannot hear. This also allows for hazard warning system to be fitted.

I reused a relay from MK1 and a similar non locking toggle switch mounted to the right of the steering wheel to give me headlamp flashers which is VERY useful when lorries wish to pull in and is much safer than rotating the combined ignition and light switch.
All my cars will be like this from now on. Terry A
Go to Top of Page

michaelsproule

United Kingdom
58 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  17:43:51  Show Profile
Dick - of course, thank you. And where did you get the repeater light? (I have a horrible feeling the answer is going to be as obvious)! Many thanks - Michael
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2011 :  19:24:27  Show Profile
Michael,
I have sent you an email - hopefully with a drawing attached. I might add that the design makes use of the 30mph light which will flash when the indicators are working irrespective of whether you are going at under or over 30mph so no extra lights or switches on the dashboard or ones that don't have their original functions!

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2011 :  10:28:13  Show Profile
Michael, I think I got the repeater light from Paul Beck - see http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/ and http://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/en/1339~ignition~indicator+lamp-details/

Best wishes
Dick
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000