Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 K-Type Dashboard
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Martin Warner

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  19:20:18  Show Profile
Having given up on trying to make my engine oil tight for the moment I am slowly building up to a more cosmetic Winter project. It is to replace the dashboard on my KN tourer. It has been replaced at least twice before in my knowledge and although roughly following the original is not exactly right. In Wilson McCoombe's book there is a picture on pp114 of a K2 dash. It follows the layout of my dash exactly but I can just about make out some subtle differences. It is deeper than mine and has some quite gentle curves at the bottom edge. Does anyone have an original that I can copy or would the original drawings still exist somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated. - Martin Warner

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2011 :  21:39:14  Show Profile
Martin,

We have the dash from K2010 but I cannot confirm that it's original. If it's not, it looks like a very clean copy.

It's solid, not veneered plywood, and looks to be ash or oak, with what appears to be dark stain and gloss finish where the octagonal bezels used to live.

I can send you a photograph. This one is obviously very similar to the ND's at Silverstone.

tommm in Ohio
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2011 :  14:27:11  Show Profile
Mike Waggot in Haddington has K2 which looks to me to be largely original. I don't think he follows this forum, but if you like I could email him and ask him to sent you a photo.

Colin

PA 0613 - MG3242
Go to Top of Page

Martin Warner

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2011 :  15:29:18  Show Profile
Tom/Colin

Thank you for your interest. Any straight on image of a dash would be a great help. I can probably extrapolate the measurements from a known item such as an instrument.

My email address is: martin.warner@codelmark.com

Regards

Martin
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2011 :  08:55:51  Show Profile
Hi Martin,

The K-type dash is well illustrated on page287 of Eric Blower's esteemed book, which has been my "bible" for the past sixty years, however I thought your car was a KN, in which case the dash is different. Peter Hemmings' car will give you the pointer you need, and his car is seen more often than most K-types I know of.

Regards,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

Martin Warner

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  09:42:42  Show Profile
Mike

Thank you for the pointer. You are right there is a clear picture on pp287 in Blower. Interestingly the bottom edge is different to other reference pictures that I have seen (see MG by McComb pp115). The gentle concave curve in the middle is there but all the other pictures seem to be an inch or so below the door line at the outside ends curving up sharply as a finisher.

I know Peter's car well and I agree that the dashboard layout on his car is completely different. I seem to remember that Fran Ernst's car was different again. My car came with a dash as the picture on pp287 when I bought it in the early seventies. I was always under the impression that these cars were put together by University Motors from whatever they had on the shelf so were likely to be a bit different from each other. Mind you anything could have happened to it in its thirty-five year life before I bought it.

So probably anything is right and anything is wrong. I will have to make up my mind on what will be the most aesthetically pleasing.

Regards

Martin
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  08:26:43  Show Profile
Martin,

You are so right: people get smokey about "originality", but the true answer is that unless we have access to the actual built sheet for the car we just do not know. Tom Viner (who had been the factory line inspector at MG in the Triple-M period, and, yes, there was only the one) once said to me that he doubted that there were two IDENTICAL J2's ever built! Things got better with the P and N, and improved immeasurably after 1936, when he got help in his job!

In the case of your car, I suspect that the first owner MIGHT have requested the older K-type instrument layout, but then, a rebuilder after the war might have read Blower, and decided that what he had was wrong!

See you around!

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Martin Warner

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 02/08/2011 :  09:22:30  Show Profile
Mike

Thank you for your interest. Am I right in my supposition that the KN "Speed Models" were put together by University Motors themselves from KN saloon rolling chassis and K1 tourer bodies all bought as a bit of a clearance sale from the factory. If not were they built up at Abingdon to UM's order?

Martin
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2011 :  11:58:11  Show Profile
Martin,
had the chance to see ex Fran Ernst's KN-tourer recently.
Could not see a shape difference in the dash-layout to the K1 dash in Blowers manual.
I think only the K2 (and ND) ones are deeper.
Have sent you a e-mail.
Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2011 :  11:25:25  Show Profile
If I may take this discussion onto a slightly different area I have an ND and I am trying to establish the original shape of the dashboard. So far I have been told that the car is based on a K2 body and the instrumentation should therefore follow the K2. In Richard Aspen's book "The Classic MG" he shows MG4314 on the inside cover - a K type with a dashboard as per Blower K2, he also shows a picture of MG 3614 an ND with a simlar shaped dashboard but with different instruments. Malcolm Green in his book MG Road Cars 1931-1936 shows a picture of an ND BKL 265 with a much deeper dashboard as referred to by Gerard in an earlier post.Several other ND owners have similar dashboards.
When I bought the car in the 70's it came with a deeper dashboard but with NA instrument cut outs but made of mahogany. This brings in a further question and that is what wood should it be made of?
I hope you can all understand this thread as I am completely confused and as I am wanting to make a new dashboard I want it to be right (if there is a right & wrong?)
I am sorry Martin as I appear to have hijacked your subject but perhaps youi'll agree that it is all about the autnhenticity of our cars - a fascinating subject
All comment swill be greatfully noted.
Malcolm Bailey
Go to Top of Page

aubert

France
9 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  14:47:49  Show Profile
Hello,
I seed you the photo of the original dashboard of my K2008.

quote:
Originally posted by Martin Warner

Having given up on trying to make my engine oil tight for the moment I am slowly building up to a more cosmetic Winter project. It is to replace the dashboard on my KN tourer. It has been replaced at least twice before in my knowledge and although roughly following the original is not exactly right. In Wilson McCoombe's book there is a picture on pp114 of a K2 dash. It follows the layout of my dash exactly but I can just about make out some subtle differences. It is deeper than mine and has some quite gentle curves at the bottom edge. Does anyone have an original that I can copy or would the original drawings still exist somewhere?

Any help would be appreciated. - Martin Warner

Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2011 :  17:20:56  Show Profile
Hello Marc,
fascinating photo !!
Are there possibly anymore photos of your car, which were done before the rebuild of your K 2008 ?
Gerhard ( m.g.erhard@gmx.de )
Go to Top of Page

Kallenberg

Germany
70 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  09:46:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Colin McLachlan

Mike Waggot in Haddington has K2 which looks to me to be largely original. I don't think he follows this forum, but if you like I could email him and ask him to sent you a photo.

Colin

PA 0613 - MG3242

kalle
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2011 :  15:38:30  Show Profile
Walter - I'm currently trying to persuade Mike to bring his K2 to our Border Reivers' Raid next May. There is a chance that he will try to show up on the Monday, and if he does, I'll get some photos for Martin.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000