Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 P Type prop shaft tunnel holes
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  23:13:28  Show Profile
On cleaning up my tunnel for painting I have found a row of 3/32 holes each side approx 1 1/2 inches above the flange. They are fairly evenly spaced with 3 on the LHS, 4 RHS of the main section & 1 on RHS of the short section over the diff.

Can anyone suggest what their purpose is please? Could they be used in retaining the leather cover? If so, what goes through them? My first thought was the good old bi-furcated rivet, but the holes are too small.

Puzzled,
Dave

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  23:25:50  Show Profile
I believe there was a felt padding between the transmission tunnel sections with bifurcated rivets securing the felt (approx 3/8" deep)
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2011 :  23:40:23  Show Profile
Thanks Robin. Yes, I know about that which is around their ends.

Perhaps I was insufficiently clear that "my holes" are in a horizontal line along the length of the tunnel about 1 1/2 inches above the flange.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2011 :  11:09:33  Show Profile
apologies ......

for your interest I have no such holes on mine which I believe to be original
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2011 :  11:35:00  Show Profile
No apology needed Robin, and it appears they must be non-standard otherwise I imagine someone else may have commented by now. I certainly can't think what their purpose may have been!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2011 :  15:45:36  Show Profile
Mine also does not have them.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2011 :  20:13:21  Show Profile
Thanks Maurice.
Dave
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2011 :  02:49:02  Show Profile
Dave,

I've had the opportunity to see 7 or 8 original tunnels, none of which have had the holes you describe.

I think you're assumption may be correct with the holes having been used in the past to attach the leather cover to the tunnel, with, perhaps 1/8" pop rivets. Sounds like they're in the right location for it.

tommm in c-c-cold but clear northern oHIo
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2011 :  09:39:09  Show Profile
Thanks for that Tom. That was certainly my guess but it doesn't account for mine being seemingly the only one. I wonder how the leather was retained on other cars? If indeed it was. Mine has never had, in my long ownership, carpets or leather. Until I found them I had assumed the leather was just laid across the tunnel and I suppose held in position by the seats.

Dave
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000