Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG 'TA/Q Special'.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  21:50:19  Show Profile
Thanks Phil! Rich, we all make mistakes; me probably more than most!

Original caption included just to emphasise the destruction.

In sorrow,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  22:14:26  Show Profile
Mmmmmm......This was certainly not the car I was referring to.

Cheers Dave

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 06/03/2012 22:14:49
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  22:30:29  Show Profile
Hi Richard,

No matter what car you meant, both cars will never be anything bút a K1 and a K2, no matter what they will look like or already look like.

Sorry, am not giving up! No need to rename things that already have names.

Cat

Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  10:21:11  Show Profile
This TA was in SW France a year ago and owned by an English resident. Don't imagine it has been subjected to verification by the FFVE who authenticate classic and historic cars for the French registration authority.
Sounds like the dealer may have a history regrettably not un common. I saw a Riley special reqcently which had been sold by a French dealer at great cost. The engine was running but had been damaged because the previous owner had the firing order / timing of the engine was incorrect.
To get FFVE approval the origin of the chassis has to be verified to Type. The FFVA will only issue homologation papers when they have proof from the UK that it is a genuine (TA) with a verified chassis number, production date, and now they require a V5C which can only be issued when the car has an MOT is insured and has been inspected by the DVLA.
The body on this type of special should be described on the V55/5 as a lightweight 2 seat sports. Since body which must be compliant to road regulations, is not as originally fitted and hence homologated. Roy Miller, the MG T register historian and DVLA V765 autority has an execellent description for these specials. MG TA - re built using a new body in the style produced by the MG Car Company in the mid 1930s for competition and road use. No mention of a letter, a spade is a spade!
The FFVE got thier fingers burn't when they authorised registration of a Type 35 Bugatti which turned out to be a fake from the wheels up!
No genuine chassis with number, then no registration, in the UK or in France. In our village we have a 35B it has no badges and all castings with EB have been removed and all visible parts are stamped with the owners own numbers.
The French don't have a kit car process so importing a home build like a Caterham on a V5C on Q plates is tricky.
Information provided by someone who has registered 4 MG's in France through the correct route.
Allan
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  11:55:20  Show Profile
I do not understand what the problem is here - this car mentioned is a TA special end of!
The fact that it has a body styled after the shape of a Q type is not really a problem - the car is a TA special!

This trader is being rather "ambiguous with the realitae" (to misquote a former minister) but the car is not a MMM car and can not be considered as one.

The problem is that the cars have become comodities traded on a free market - the less scrupulous traders trading up the image and history of what they have to gain the best return on their investment.
These traders know that they are pretty good ground - legal costs being high the chances of them being sued is low.
As long as they do not claim too much then they can not be sued anyway.
This guy is claiming the car as a TA-Q special - there is no such car but he is not actually selling a lie either.

The problem comes with recognition of the cars in their home country - in the UK we are luckier than most but the issue is still there.
Cars come back from extinction - I know of at least 3 which are known to have been broken up pre-war but have re-surfaced.
The biggest shame is that for the restorers and sales outlets - these people know that a K3 "replica" (I prefer facsimilie copy) can return a much better profit than a real K1, KN or N type - hence a number of really good cars have been broken to make them.

I personally dont really have a problem with these cars as long as they are used and as long as they are clearly labeled for what they are.
These T type specials are more often being hailed as something historic - when they often are not!
There are a number of K specials and a few P type based specials with bodies similar to a Q used in competition to great effect and they are nice to see - however I personally do not like to see them refered to as replicas.

Arguably a lot of the genuine cars are in fact replicas of the original pre-production prototype.

Enough spleen vented!
Regards David
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  13:50:20  Show Profile
The car on carsandclassic.co.uk is actually being sold as a Q-type and "probably one of the best" too. No reference to a TA at all ...

Cathelijne
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  15:48:11  Show Profile
Maybe it is being sold on the QT? :)
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  16:10:23  Show Profile
'probably one of the best'

Three areas of doubt in a single phrase; worthy of TV cosmetic adverts..

Go to Top of Page

spyder

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  16:15:55  Show Profile
or lager
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  19:22:12  Show Profile
Cat,

You're absolutely right, and in fact perhaps it's quite appropriate. In naval warfare a Q-ship is one that is not what she purports to be. Seemingly she's an innocent merchantman until, as perhaps you go to board her, covers drop away revealing surprisingly heavy guns....at point blank range!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  23:01:55  Show Profile
The "Q" flag is yellow......so just as well a certain Q-ish looking P-type wonderful special got painted ORANGE!
Foz
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000