Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MOT test possible change
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  12:26:32  Show Profile
If change is in the air, it may be prudent to nominate key establishments that have an "empathy" with vintage motor vehicles.
I feel sure, knowing VOSA that, if the were a skeleton network of vintage savvy MOT stations, they could liase with... It would provide a sounding board for historic motoring.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  16:01:51  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ray Masters

Input from members around the UK would quickly build a list of MOT stations best suited to our cars. What do you all think ?.

Don't forget, chaps, that in Northern Ireland our test centres are run by the Driver and Vehicle Agency and not by private garages. Having said that, I don't believe that the old car fraternity there really has any problem with testers not recognising that you can't put a car with a set of spindly 19" wire wheels on the rig that is used to test the shock absorbers which gives the suspension quite an alarming workout.

But that aside, I agree with those who advocate keeping the test for older cars, not only from the point of view of the reassurance that an annual test gives you that everything is in good shape, but also to prevent insurance companies finding yet more excuses to extract money from us.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 14/01/2012 16:03:59
Go to Top of Page

TomDrewett

United Kingdom
277 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2012 :  20:14:19  Show Profile
I prefer the MOT stays, why draw attention to ourselves by seemingly having special treatment.There are stations out there sympathetic to 'our' cars often run by garage owners with real enthusiasm. I know of 2 in Monmouthshire, one of whom passed my long term rebuild this morning A second set of eyes is also of benefit in checking over some of the key components, as well as the opportunity to get the car up on ramps in daylight for reasons outlined.
Go to Top of Page

captain bobo

United Kingdom
10 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2012 :  12:07:13  Show Profile
FWIW I think the annual MOT should stay despite our abilities to maintain and service our cars. There are clear guidelines for garages about how to test classic cars (many may not read them, however) and some of us may be lucky enough to have a savvy "classic aware" garage. My local village garage falls into this category. They insist that I attend with their technician, partly for me to explain some of the more esoteric aspects (such as fluid flywheel on my pre-war Daimler) and partly to make recommendations to me about things that might need attention before too long (not all of them associated with MOT pass or fail). Getting under the hoist is a revealing experience: I always take my camera with me!

For the brake test they ask me to drive and the technician carries a portable dynamometer. They don't do a rolling road test (not necessary under the current guidelines). They conduct a very detailed inspection of the car, primarily focusing upon the structural integrity of chassis and body, steering, lights, general condition of the electrics, wheels, tyres and brakes.

I should point out that this is above and beyond the guidelines; they tell me that they just want to see more classics on the road and want to establish a reputation in the classic market.

I suspect that this garage falls into a minority, but it can't be beyond the wit of man to create a list of garages sympathetic to classic cars and aware of the appropriate testing requirements. I wonder if the FBHV already has such a list?

Best wishes, Dave B
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
731 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2012 :  09:56:07  Show Profile
Just for the procedure here in Luxembourg, once any car is over 25 years old it only needs the test once every two years, and the road tax is dropped to €25 a year.
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  18:41:24  Show Profile
But we pay no tax at all for our cars . We try not to think too much about the fuel though .

JH
Go to Top of Page

morisani

Italy
109 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  14:04:12  Show Profile
Just fot he procedure, in Italy historic vehicles (more than 20 years old and registered in the Historic Registers) need the test every two years, like modern cars). Historic cars manufactured prior 1960 have to pass the test in Department for transport test stations; in this case is applied a test of lower level, that is they are environmental requirements exempt, foot brakes should be tested by a dynanometer, hand brake is tested in static form, etc. Post 1960 cars my have the test in registered centres (private).
These rules are two years old, the situation is not yet clear (rolling road tests are still on use)and getting an MOT (we say "passare la revisione") is still a big stress. Nevertheless I think it is usefull.
Francesco
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  10:09:15  Show Profile
When I owned my PA I had a very understanding garage in Bury-st-Edmunds, he tested quite a few pre war cars from around the area. He new the car was properly maintaind and looked after mechcanicly. He never used any of the test equipment ment for modern cars knowing full well that a 1935 MG had no chance of passing, like the brake test etc. I never had a fail just given a few jobs to do. I had no problem with an annual test. I had more of an isue having to had my 3 year old Porsche with 20,000 miles and fall Porsche service history having to be tested at 3 years old.

Rodney Collins
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  12:47:59  Show Profile
In the USA, we are like 50 different countries, each state doing as they please . In New Jersey, my state, vehicles over 25 years and not used for daily use, but for historical purposes and display only,(whenever I am on the road I am displaying my car!) are exempt from everything. No tax, no fees, no inspection.

I see no problem with this. The New England MGT Register runs a "Safety Fast" inspections at our meets, where the cars are examined by expert mechanics. This is of course voluntary. I wonder in the end how much mandatory inspections actually ,in practice rather than in theory, save lives. I know it is hard to argue against having turn signals, better brake lights, and brakes in perfect shape to name a few of the considerations, but as I said, in the end if you had no inspections would there be that much difference? Maybe a few more cars on the road and more money in your poclet.
I know I am going to be blasted for this opinion. New Jersey is the most crowded state in the US and we survive very nicely.

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  21:52:00  Show Profile
Australia is a bit like the USA, each State does "its own thing" in registrations and the like. Here in South Australia we have had an inexpensive "concessional" registration and personal injury arrangement for many years for (unmodified) cars over 30 years old. The cost is about a quarter of the normal fee. No inspections are necessary, but recognised clubs must certify that the car is authentic (eg no "hotrods") and a log book entry is necessary for every trip. Despite early misgivings the system has worked well and owners, as well as clubs, are keen to ensure that the scheme continues (to the point where other States are slowly adopting our system). Perhaps local conditions elsewhere do not suit our arrangement, but it has worked perfectly here for many years, even though I am sure that the "authorities" have kept a close eye on it (or maybe used to!).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000