Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Graham Howell - J2 Restoration Book
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  08:11:09  Show Profile
Does anyone know if this book is still available and if so, from where

Regards

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

charley

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  08:46:47  Show Profile
Hi Richard.
this book is still on octagon car club list of books.
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  08:49:20  Show Profile
Ha ha!
The Octagon Car Club have it on their lists.
I've left a message on their answer phone, yesterday, to get back to me.
The Register's own Mr Hamblett, e mailed me suggesting the book via The Octagon CC.
Just has tha back axle die in a "boring the Mont Blanc tunnel" soundscape.
Only BUYING N E W PARTS for it now.
Awaiting Vintage MG hubs on shafts, as another suppliers said he had a set for my J2. Drove all the way there. No, he didn't.
Have you costed machining up NEW DIFFS at all Rich?
I am going to start going through my old contacts, and theirs...To see how much it would cost for a batch.
Anyone else interested?
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  14:37:44  Show Profile
I believe Brit Books in the US has it. See http://britbooks.com/prgutorejty.html

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  15:24:22  Show Profile
It was originally puiblished in three individual parts but then republished as a complete book. I have the original parts covering the chassis and bodywork, but not the one covering the engine. Graham was an excellent engineer and if anyone has seen the J2's he restored some years ago, they were quite superbly done. I'd recommned the manual on the basis it is still available.

Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  17:54:57  Show Profile
Robin is quite right. The original publication was in three parts:

The Rolling Chassis - Yellow booklet
The Engine and Gearbox - Green booklet
The Body and Electrics - Pink Booklet

If you acquire the 3 part version there should be an important single page amendment sheet relating to the gearbox.This single page is incorporated in the one volume republished version - Orange booklet - which also has additional material and is therefore the version to go for.

David Rawlinson

J 3355
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  22:24:38  Show Profile
Thank you all for your responses. I have a complete compiled version already from years ago. I am helping an overseas J2 novice restorer out at the moment and thought that this book would be a god send to him. I will contact the Octagon CC

Also looking for an original J2 rear wingstay bracket for the J2. The original was a one piece as opposed to modern repros which are a two piece. A modern repro set would do I guess if anyone can assist. I will also add this post to the Parts Wanted section

Cheers

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 24/01/2012 22:44:08
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  23:46:11  Show Profile
Rich,
The originals were as you say but I understand that the factory changed the design as water collected on the ledge this created causing the petrol tank to rust out very quickly. The separate design should not be fitted parallel to the ground and a slight slope formed so any water will run off from the centre to the outside of the car behind the tank. The tank rubber should also follow the line of the wing stays. The split design is much better than the all in one design...Hope this helps....regards... Terry A
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  00:06:53  Show Profile
Good point Terry, thanks. I will await hearing from you or anyone else re brackets

Cheers

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Barry Walker

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  09:25:16  Show Profile
I have plenty of the book(s) by Graham Howell on the rebuilding of the J2, but whilst it was a good effort, it was a very early effort, and there are so many mistakes in it, that as a trader, I'm hesitant to sell it, or even give it to anyone. It needs me to go through it and bring it up to date with all we have all learnt overthe last 15 yrs. since it was written.
Yours, Barry Walker.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  09:35:37  Show Profile
Bring the free copies to Stoneleigh, Barry.
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  09:46:25  Show Profile
I agree with BW. There are quite a lot of mistakes. I dont have a copy but did mark up a friends copy a few years ago now. It needs someone with some time on their hands to correct it as Barry says.

TH
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  09:51:12  Show Profile
Richard original J rear wing stay brackets can be either one or two pieces. It is possible that some may have been cut in half when originally fitted to ease fitting at wing end due to body variations.
Whilst I agree with what Terry says about getting water away I doubt if the factory worried about that !

TH

Edited by - tholden on 25/01/2012 09:55:29
Go to Top of Page

Bob Grunau

Canada
290 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  13:01:30  Show Profile
J3017 has been off the road for at least 40 years and has the split rear wing support on the body. Even so, the fuel tank had rust perforations on the front of the tank. No idea if the supports were sloped or not, as the original body was rebuilt when I got the car, but a good idea and will certainly do no harm..
Bob Canada
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  18:57:42  Show Profile
Octagon Car Club phoned me today.

Yes. They have copies in, about £28 delivered (UK)
Go to Top of Page

doctorbob

United Kingdom
145 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2012 :  12:22:32  Show Profile
It would be a boon to all of us who are new to MMM rebuilding if the experiences and knowledge of the 'old pros' could be set down in print. I do have a copy of the Howell book and would readily welcome a 'corrected' version.
As a slight aside, the 'search function' of this forum provides a lot of information, but never the less I always find it more comforting to be able to have a paper manual in oily hands when out in the garage.

Edited by - doctorbob on 26/01/2012 12:34:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000