Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Events | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 News about the website
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3254 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  19:07:01  Show Profile
Hi Bruce

Apart from the MGCC I am also a member of the VSCC hence some of my details appear in the membership list they send out - I think the last such listing was published in 2009. Members can indicate whether or not they wish some or all of their contact details to be withheld i.e. phone numbers and email address.
I believe the application form for the VSCC still has a tick box whereby the new member can indicate if they will permit the Club to publish their address. I am not sure but I believe the VSCC also sends each member a questionnaire prior to issuing a fresh listing of members asking for an an update on any changes as to address, contact details, cars owned etc. At this stage a member can opt out of having their name in the new listing.

In contrast the MGCC does not give any option hence we are bound by the provisions of the Data Protection Act. If anyone wishes to make contact with a member then all we can do is to pass on the enquirers address to the member concerned,and it is then up to that member to make contact if they so wish.

I presume the Austin 7 Register must treat their members in the same way as the VSCC?

George Eagle
Hon Sec

Edited by - George Eagle on 31/01/2012 20:05:47
Go to Top of Page

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  21:53:28  Show Profile
As I appear to have started something of a hare running by suggesting that it would be an advantage to be able to identify MMM owners by area,I have to show my lack of computer skills by admitting I had not realized that it was possible to sort the member list by "city". Nick's suggestion therefore pretty well meets my requirements. I am persuaded that the facility to email a member is preferable as an initial contact rather than a telephone number,as the recipient then has the option of replying or ignoring. It would always be interesting to know car owned or interested in,but the amount of information shown on a member's profile or in a post must always be what that member is comfortable with.

As to the other Clubs I am a member of,my membership of the Pre-War Austin 7 Club goes back many years and I cannot recall the application form details. However,a very limited few members withold their details. The North-East Club for Pre-War Austins - a misnomer as its membership encompasses vintage,post-vintage and classic cars of all types - lists members with their car(s),town and phone number. I think there was an opt-out on the application form but again only a handful of members take it.

I see tonight there is a vacancy among the Knighthoods. Obviously the time to put Nick forward!

David R

J 3355
Go to Top of Page

billysfolly

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  21:55:52  Show Profile
While the main discussion here appears to be the accessibilty to members contact information, I would like to second "spitfire's" proposal to also use the Triple-M site as a more complete repository of technical information pertaining to our various MMM models, rather than always having to refer members to a separate yearbook, bulletin, or website for the desired technical information. And the more technical the better. I have been thoroughly impressed with the information available on the D and J (Dutch) websites, and have for a long while wondered why the same could not have been done directly somewhere within the Triple-M register. Certainly, copies of information from all of the legally available manuals and parts lists should be accessible here, but if not, members who have rewritten the original information for their own use might provide the equivalent information. I am surprised that there are not such listings as a comprehensive bearing size and type number, or BSW hardware details, related hardware and manufacturer (Lucas, Rotax, etc.) of electrical component type, size specifications, lubrication and other specialized information, for only a few examples. I realize that there are a some charts and diagrams scattered here and there, but there is no centralised area for easy reference. As a personal example of the value of a repository for such types of information - my own rebuild proceeds so much more slowly than would otherwise be necessary, because of the simple necessity of determining the proper nut and bolt sizes to be used for attaching each specific component in order to restore an un-original vehicle to its proper specification. Apologies for the lengthy response.
Bill Burk
PB 0443

Edited by - billysfolly on 31/01/2012 21:58:42
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2592 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  21:57:12  Show Profile
Hi Nick,

Now I've tried sorting members by town that seems to me the way to go although, as I thought aloud in my last post, might county or state be more useful?

If there was a column for model I could then see at the same time if I have any neighbours with the same type.

Just the further thoughts of a country bumpkin!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  22:44:47  Show Profile
Dear Bill Burk, Yes. Mindbogglingly indirect network of information.
Teasing information out of peoples' heads (having to ASK for it) is a bit lame.
Regarding search engines... The Internet, websites. I want the information within a second
On the bearings point. I WAS actually looking at a page from this site that had a bearings cross reference table on it.
Is the opening text to this site/Club "Unrivalled source of information?" It's along those lines.
Considering the almost biblical tomes of information on ONE MODEL I have found elsewhere on the web, it is as you say, and as I said a few days back... A bit short of comprehensive lists of, for instance.. bolt thread, length.. tables. Always nice when you are going to strip down an eighty year old car, to have a new set of fasteners on hand.
To order a car's worth in one hit!

These NEW IDEAS just seem to focus on information being immediately accessable.
Once again, THE DUTCH SITE shines out like a beacon as how to PROMOTE Our beautiful cars.
Nick, any thoughts of listing by postcode/zipcode eg AB or OX as an area that an owner dwells in?
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3457 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  22:55:14  Show Profile
Hi Dave
I am thinking of adding a search facility where you could select Country, State (or County/Province) and then town (or all towns) and then type (again or all types). If there is sufficient interest, I will look into the idea.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3457 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2012 :  22:57:05  Show Profile
Bill
That is pretty much what I have in the pipeline in embryo form. Once I have the software up and running it will very much be up to everyone to contribute material. Watch this space as they say.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

billysfolly

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  06:22:41  Show Profile
Thanks Nick, that is welcome news. Perhaps someone then will be able to update the bearings list that 'spitfire' mentioned, to include the missing information for example. On my own I have been compiling a list of measurements, which is like others presently incomplete and may not be until the rebuild is completed. If that information would eventually become of use to anyone else, it would be nice to have a suitable place to post it here.

Bill Burk
PB 0443
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  09:29:47  Show Profile
Let us take a step back and consider what WE are custodians of-

We are collectively in ownership of A CAR, built around eighty years ago.
Be it an M, J,P whatever.. Each design has it's unique characteristics, and for the new owner, it's own learning curve.
It seems, the more isolated an owner is, the more (committed?) resourceful they become.
We all own a MACHINE. Why is there not a Technical index of what the car entails?
This can be a point where archived posts (and future posts) can be linked to.
Having owned motorcycles, it's hard to avoid the mass of technical data on one of their sites.
As Bill states, Bearings, fastener size, thread, electrical components..
There is a first point of reference where IT is a machine, comprised of a long list of parts.
Dimensions, colours and materials.

WE HAVE ALL THAT KNOWLEDGE TO HAND So why isn't this the first (and only) port of call a new owner would want.
There have been many publications covering this sort of break down of data.
With the staggering amount of detail conveyed by a decent set of detailed photographs (data) We should be able to provide the ultimate reference companion.

Given the extra dimension that we can all comment on the cars we own, only bolsters the depth of knowledge, model by model.
That's why I believe there should be an individual model division.

There is the Family (MG) and the offspring (Models)
All are individuals, carrying family traits.

I don't see why model recognition, within this club, creates any sort of division in MMM Register commitment... The Register, in itself is a subdivision of the MGCC, but allowed to flourish in it's own right.

Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
996 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  10:33:43  Show Profile
Nick:"I am thinking of adding a search facility where you could select Country, State (or County/Province) and then town (or all towns) and then type (again or all types). If there is sufficient interest, I will look into the idea."

Yes, this. Or by first half of postcode in the UK. I've just tried searching for members near my home town of Montrose, and as it stands I have to scroll through many pages to get to "M", then the same again for all local towns and villages. By the time I've found someone I'm beginning to lose the will to live .

There would appear to be about 900 names on the list, but presumably this is only members who have signed up for the forum. To make the list more complete would presumably involve contacting all the other MMM owners and asking them to join the forum and give permission for their home town to be shown. I'm not volunteering for that job!

Once one has found a MMM owner living nearby, the profile doesn't show the member's car details, so it would help if there were a field for this. I personally add some model details to my signature, as you can see.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  11:40:43  Show Profile
Spitfire - if you are offering to assimilate the information then I am sure that Nick would welcome your help - what you are asking for though is a considerable amount of work.
Putting together an online version of the workshop manual is huge!

Putting together specific information for individual models is even more work.

This work would probably be better done as a pdf document - placing the content requested would be a very slow web page (photos - technical drawings, graphs etc..).
With experience of developing technical web pages - I can tell you that we normaly place technical content as a download.
The information though can often be more trouble than it is worth - often mis-read or mis-interpreted and leading to confusion.

Fastners and the like on MMM cars were originally all either BSF or BA threads.
Although there is also some BSP involved with the pipework of course.
However many cars have had work done on them more recently and had modern threads fitted - either as repairs or out of necessity because of a repair in the field.

The Bible workshop manual often reffered to as "Blower" has been out of print for some time - although you can pick them up in book stalls and Amazon.

I would probably advise in the first case copying the W E Blower manual as a PDF download in sections for appropriate models.
Then people can download the appropriate chapters for their car.
Other articles are already available - in fact the information you want is all there somewhere - it is just that it requires patience to find it.

If you are offering your help to the committee long term - then I am sure you will be welcomed with open arms.

Seeing as I am not any longer involved with the Club or MMM Register and my opinions (for what they are worth) are normally restricted to advice based on the way I have done things in the past - or the way things used to be done way back when.
I am careful not to admonish the committee, chiefly because I would incurr the wrath of my father (that is something nobody wants I assure you).

Please guys if you want to help change things - please give Peter, Nick and the committee every help you can.

Regards David

Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  12:22:53  Show Profile
I have just found out that Blower is in fact still available - Dad said it was still in print last year.

Regards David
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2012 :  14:47:51  Show Profile
Hi David, and your father in the background.
I contacted Nick, last week, with an offer to lend my services.
I have only suggested things that were already in the pipeline.
I don't think anything I have flagged up is a totally unique idea,
just might have hammered it home a bit more.
I wouldn't suggest a major rethink of the site, unless I was willing to "roll my sleeves up!"
Although- It is Nick's baby and the Committee would have to champion the changes.
I am just trying to give a fresh viewpoint, from someone with a dog of an MMM car!

Despite all that I say, I am not lambasting The Committee. Far from it. I am trying to put forward constructive criticism.
I find the club has a reserved and filed away approach.
I think I've explained earlier THE HUGE reshaping that would document the car types.
Promote these iconic cars in beautiful and factual surroundings.
I drive the J2, as fast as it can go, and it's like a mad March Hare of a car.
I look at the site (you'll disagree) but I see it like a butterfly collection. Drawers and draws of little dazzling pictures hidden under all that brown and cream.

The J2 is eighty, this year.
Has this been "Dealt with" on this site yet? If so, it has managed to slip by me.
My one is 79 on March 14th, same day as a Canadian Bob Grunau's!
I don't mind doing something to celebrate it's "Never say Die" attitude.
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  10:48:15  Show Profile
This is the best forum of it's type that I have come across and it is a great credit to its creators and maintainer.

We're so fortunate that we have people who give up their expertise, time and energy so that others can enjoy the fruits of their labours.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  21:36:30  Show Profile
Hear, Hear.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: