Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Events | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 News about the website
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1582 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  22:18:52  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Stringfield

Hear, Hear.

Seconded ................ resoundingly.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1582 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  22:43:25  Show Profile
Dear Spitfire,
You eulogise about some fantastically state-of-the-art website for our cars and you advise that you are a designer (of websites?), so why not go away and develop something then come back and show us?

Respectfully yours.

Bruce. (PB0564)

Edited by - Bruce Sutherland on 02/02/2012 22:48:54
Go to Top of Page

gsrun

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  22:57:32  Show Profile
Here, here to that also!

Edited by - gsrun on 03/02/2012 07:59:20
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
839 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  23:01:54  Show Profile
This is a really good forum. I have been on the vscc one and that's awful I can't get into it at all theres stuff everywhere. You don't know what to read, its not very well organised. This forum is 10 times better.
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1530 Posts

Posted - 02/02/2012 :  23:50:29  Show Profile
No offence, but I think you possibly need to 'lighten up' a bit, Spitfire. It all feels slightly confrontational from where I'm sitting.

Enthusiasm and new ideas = good.

Over zealous application = less good.

This is a very friendly place (unlike the VSCC website which has hosted some rather ugly spats over the years).

I'm sure some/all of your ideas can be given a proper airing and introduced if the committee agree but I respectfully suggest that a gentler approach might be more effective. If I may say so, banging your fist on the table will certainly get you noticed although possibly not in the right way...

If there are any aspects of you car you need help with, ask away. If I can't give you the answer personally (having rebuilt/owned a J2 for many years) I can virtually guarantee somebody else will. So, what's not to like?

Welcome, by the way.
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  10:07:59  Show Profile
Thanks for the welcome Kimber.
I feel sure if I "went away and designed what I have eulogised about" then there would be the rant that Gideon has kicked off.
I contacted Nick privately about lending my services (if they are required)
Confrontation works both ways, Kimber et al.
Sometimes Respect means having the gumption to express what you see, experience.
This is a forum. Most of what "I" have "put forward" were other members' ideas. Some that have "sat" for years.. Because no one actually "pushed" them to a forum level.
...So, what's not to like? As you say.
Now you are the one who is being confrontational.
I have put forward other members', mostly shared with other members, ideas..I have backed those with my initial experiences.
I find the odd warning shot fly across the rigging!
Peter Green and Nick have asked for ideas.
Are We to be straitjacketed into "tiny increment ideas?"
I make comparisons with Alternative website constructions.
I don't see it as "banging my fist on the table" maybe opening the curtains, shedding a little light.

I don't know if you are part of the Kimber dynasty, or the moniker felt right. My user name is not for "buzzing" the site, but the engine in my J2.
I am going to change precious little, don't suggest taking anything away.
It's a great site.
Just could be so much better.
Does that satisfy "What's not to like?"
I do represent the thoughts and frustrations of many MMM owners, who "hoped for more."
Most of that is simply logic, maybe a bit more cohesive output from what is seen as "The Stable" of the breed.
I've said to Nick, I'm quite happy to take the flak by kicking a few ideas about.

Now can we get on with discussing "new" ideas. That is ideas, that go before a committee, and staff/members who would advise as to their worthiness. See if we have the resources and members enthusiasm to promote those concepts.

On the Lighter note. There is a ton of respect for Kimber, everyone in the Club, for weathering the ideas I have "put forward."
The "Look" of the site is Nick. So am I having a pop at him?
No.
Have to dash. Regards. Gary.

Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
950 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  10:24:30  Show Profile
As a relatively new comer, I have held back from this discussion, in part to avoid treading on toes which have been made sensitive by earlier feet.

However, I can say that, for me this site and members have both been immensley helpful when a basic question is posted, and the site frustrating when trying to find more detailed information from amongst the replies.

My suggestion therefore, for the future I suspect, is for a Wiki type information data base for use by logged in members. This has two essential aspects, that the database can be edited 'on the fly' by members to correct errors and extend information. The text can also be cross-linked to other relevant pages and items of information.

I believe that a private wiki set can be created using well established engines. Starting from nowhere this would build up over time into what I think we all seek, which is an invaluable resource in one place. I don't think it is free, but someone may know more on this.

Hopefully this takes us a small step forward, and that no toes were damaged in writing this note!

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  10:45:39  Show Profile
Gary

Your help long term is very much appreciated and any sniping has been defense rather than offense I assure you.
We need to protect what is good, improve where possible and I think that your ideas have great merit.

Ian

I am not convinced of the Wiki idea - there is a considerable amount of bad information on Wiki which remains unchecked for a large amount of time.

I honestly think that the free exchange of information and correction on the forum is better than the Wiki idea.
This forum is one of the better ones I contribute to and the risk of dis-information is quickly addressed and corrected.

There will always be issues which cause disquiet - but better they are discussed and argued in a democratic forum I think.

Regards David
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  16:49:55  Show Profile
David, I read it as Ian suggesting a wiki TYPE of information base. Not "All the world and his dog" one. He's had the bottle to stick his head over the ramparts.!
Despite what others have wailed about...I would see the whole MMM shabang being done through Nick's editorship. Feature elements could come from elsewhere, but this knowledge base, and "spiritual home" is recognised as a delightful cohesion with the past, and the start of MG.
Anyone been out in theirs today?
A bit fresh!
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1644 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  17:29:50  Show Profile
This all reminds me of something that I witnessed many years ago at an air show. It was the rare sight of one of our belloved Spitfires spluttering and missfiring. Everybody held their breath as it came in to land and a big cheer went up as it landed safely and was pushed away in to a hanger.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Jon Marsh

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  18:38:30  Show Profile
Reply to Spitfire. Anyone out in theirs today?
Yes, I was out in my J2. So cold I had to stop and put the windscreen up, only had the aero screen up before.

Jon
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  22:20:28  Show Profile
I've ONLY GOT aero screens!
It's surprisingly snug tho.
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 03/02/2012 :  22:24:02  Show Profile
J3026. Last registered owner had a screen on it. Dealer must have "lost it."
Come on snow!
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
996 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  10:46:25  Show Profile
Ian - I like the Wiki idea.

David - Your argument against it seems to me to be slightly self-defeating. "there is a considerable amount of bad information on Wiki which remains unchecked for a large amount of time."

"This forum is one of the better ones I contribute to and the risk of dis-information is quickly addressed and corrected."

Surely if your second comment above is correct, this would work even better with a wiki style of content. The advantage of a wiki information database is that one could quickly find the required advice with the latest corrections applied. At present one has to sift through many posts in differing threads, and try to work out which is the best advice. Don't get me wrong, I love this forum, and read it regularly. I would not want a wiki to replace it. But I do agree with Ian that it could be a valuable addition.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
693 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2012 :  16:39:15  Show Profile
I agree with Colin's comments about a Wiki style additional database

However, where accuracy/correctness changes are made how could the validity of the change be confirmed before the database was altered so that multiple changes as opinion 'hardened' could be avoided?

Should there be an additional forum where a proposed change would be suggested for comment by others and allow a considered alteration/improvement to be agreed before the 'Wiki' style database was altered?

Would this not improve over time the value and integrity of the database?

Gordon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000