Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Lubricating Adamant Box on M Type?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

WAAF Winsum

Australia
39 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  09:17:48  Show Profile
My M type manual says there are two grease points on the Adadmant box, the steering box thrust and the steering box. I can only find one, on the upper surface of the column an inch or so up from the box. Where is the actual box lubricated please? I am wondering if I have to take the top plate off and pack it? I am sure it is simple but so, regrettably, am I! Will be grateful for a steer (groan).

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  16:50:42  Show Profile
Mine is just like yours - just one oiler
Should we be feeling deprived?
Short changed by the factory??
Tony
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  17:00:51  Show Profile
On the chassis side of the box there should be a tab washer that locates into the slotted nut shown on your picture. This is to stop the nut undoing. The tab washer has two fixings into the side of the box. The one nearest the slotted nut is a simple bolt. The other one on mine is an oiling nipple. Your photo does not show this part of the steering box but I assume the oiling nipple has been replaced by a bolt.
Hope this helps.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  17:03:24  Show Profile
I have filled mine with SAE 140 gear oil for 40 years. It may come out of the cracks but it gets everywhere it needs to.
Use an old fashioned oil gun (typicaly supplied with 1950's Ransoms lawn mowers), you don't want to blow it appart with a Wanner!
Same goes for the Marles boxes. Wear in the bearing of the drop arm shaft means that when loaded it is properly lubricated. One advantage of old age and the onset of incontenance.
Allan
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  19:55:59  Show Profile
Hi Robin,

I think Allan's mention of SAE140 should be emphasised as you talk of greasers & packing. This all sounds (possibly I'm being unfair?) as though you are intending to use grease which I think you will find will be the death of the box.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

WAAF Winsum

Australia
39 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  01:39:02  Show Profile
Thank you Dave,
No, was not intending to use a normal grease but a Penrite product which they call semi fluid grease which has an NLGI 00 spec, pretty thin. It is a little bit thicker than the the 140 oil. I find it liquid enough to push through the lube tubes on my VA.
Cheers
Robin

quote]Originally posted by Oz34

Hi Robin,

I think Allan's mention of SAE140 should be emphasised as you talk of greasers & packing. This all sounds (possibly I'm being unfair?) as though you are intending to use grease which I think you will find will be the death of the box.

Dave
[/quote]
Go to Top of Page

WAAF Winsum

Australia
39 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  01:52:44  Show Profile
Many thanks Keith,
Photo attached confirms what you say and yes there is a bolt where a nipple could go. I will have to check the thread size and put in an angled nipple to avoid the oil line which runs to my filter.
Regards
Robin

quote:
Originally posted by Keith Durston

On the chassis side of the box there should be a tab washer that locates into the slotted nut shown on your picture. This is to stop the nut undoing. The tab washer has two fixings into the side of the box. The one nearest the slotted nut is a simple bolt. The other one on mine is an oiling nipple. Your photo does not show this part of the steering box but I assume the oiling nipple has been replaced by a bolt.
Hope this helps.
Keith

Go to Top of Page

WAAF Winsum

Australia
39 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  01:57:41  Show Profile
Thanks Allan, see my reply to Dave regarding lube product. I recall when I purchased my VA being told to use 140 oil in the remote lube system and asking how do you know when there is enough with the answer being when it drips everywhere. My good lady has enough trouble with my dripping MGs without me going totally overboard and deliberately creating drips. One incontinent machine in the household is quite sufficient!
Cheers
Robin

quote:
Originally posted by Allan Bentley

I have filled mine with SAE 140 gear oil for 40 years. It may come out of the cracks but it gets everywhere it needs to.
Use an old fashioned oil gun (typicaly supplied with 1950's Ransoms lawn mowers), you don't want to blow it appart with a Wanner!
Same goes for the Marles boxes. Wear in the bearing of the drop arm shaft means that when loaded it is properly lubricated. One advantage of old age and the onset of incontenance.
Allan

Go to Top of Page

WAAF Winsum

Australia
39 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  01:59:28  Show Profile
Probably short changed by a restorer somewhere along the line Tony.
Best to you
Robin

quote:
Originally posted by tonym

Mine is just like yours - just one oiler
Should we be feeling deprived?
Short changed by the factory??
Tony

Go to Top of Page

WAAF Winsum

Australia
39 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  07:17:38  Show Profile
Problem solved, bolt replaced with a grease nipple. Thanks all.
Robin

quote:
Originally posted by WAAF Winsum

Many thanks Keith,
Photo attached confirms what you say and yes there is a bolt where a nipple could go. I will have to check the thread size and put in an angled nipple to avoid the oil line which runs to my filter.
Regards
Robin

quote:
Originally posted by Keith Durston

Hope this helps.
Keith

Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  16:45:15  Show Profile
Robin
Well I never! - so that's where the second nipple should be - will have to get out the rusty old spanners.
By the way I have been putting grease in [throught the single nipple] for over 40 years without any ill effect to the steering box.
You and I must be part of a very select - and lunatic - club to own both an M and a VA!
Tony
Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  17:30:18  Show Profile
Yes lurking in the dark under the side valence on my C Type is a second nipple. I shall give it an oily treat before the spring!
Allan
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  23:12:53  Show Profile
Hi lucky owners of Adamant steering.......the top lube point (connected to the central system on D and F) oils the bush that the steering column inner shaft and worm shaft run through. The bottom one fills the box up. You should have a felt washer between the box and the steering arm to slow oil flow...which beside lubricating also removes any metal worn from bush or shaft. The Rat gets well oiled (some say like its keeper) when I put it on the trailer to go to a race meeting....then lots of people get to share the oil drips!
Foz
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2012 :  11:46:42  Show Profile
Penrite Semi-Fluid grease is excellent in steering boxes - I was worried about the felt seal on my Adamant box leaking but hardly any escapes....
It also works well on sliding trunions
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000