Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Bonnet Stampings
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  10:42:15  Show Profile
Hi All

I had a rather interesting email yesterday, enquiring about original bonnet stampings. i.e. chassis number and colour code details stamped on the central hinge. For register purposes, I'd like to collect a set of images showing each original colour code. Black (BK) is easy as I have this on the J2 Bonnet.

So, my request is, please can anyone who can do so, take a nice sharp close up picture of their bonnet hinge stamping and email it to me at robin.hamblett@gmail.com

I think I am correct in stating that in the event of a two tone car, the colour relates to the body colour. All input valued on this, it's not an area of expertise for me.

Many thanks in advance.

Robin

J2 J3666

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  12:56:43  Show Profile
Robin,
Am I correct in assuming you would like bonnet chassis number stampings from all Triple-M cars, not just J2's?

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  14:18:10  Show Profile
Hi Bruce

All cars welcome please.

Many thanks

Robin

J2 J3666
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  20:55:00  Show Profile
Hi Robin,

I have never seen an N-type bonnet with other than the chassis number stamped on.

Best wishes,

Mike
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2012 :  23:05:38  Show Profile
Mike I have also seen J's with obviously original bonnets and just the chassis number stamped on the hinge.
Wonder if cars that were painted special colours to special order had no colour ID letters ?

TH
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1722 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  18:48:22  Show Profile
Four F's for you.

It has been said that the cars sold in chassis form to other coach builders might have not had their bonnets stamped at all and I do know of one Stiles with an unstamped bonnet...

Cheers

P

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  19:41:07  Show Profile

The bonnet on the L2 is stamped 2023 BK whilst the bonnet on the NB is only stamped 0960.

George
L2023 and NA0960
Nr Buckingham
UK
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  20:36:49  Show Profile
I viewed a newly discovered, derelict and highly original PA on Sunday. Its chassis number was stamped on the bonnet hinge but there was no trace of a colour code.

The bonnet of my own PA (bonnet sadly passed on to someone who wanted to make up a special) had both number and a colour code - red - although I didn't appreciate that fact when I decided to restore the car in blue!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 23/02/2012 20:54:22
Go to Top of Page

PaulusPotter

Netherlands
202 Posts

Posted - 23/02/2012 :  22:36:07  Show Profile
Robin my L1 Continental Coupe mentions L 0645 BY. Which stands for Black and Yellow. I send you an e-mail directly with photograph since i do not know how to up-load a photograph.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  00:34:49  Show Profile
Hi Paul
Have a look at the FAQs, there are full instructions for uploading pictures there. It is really very easy, send me an email if you have any difficulties.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

PaulusPotter

Netherlands
202 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  09:07:50  Show Profile
Let's try to add the picture.

Seems easy indeed.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  09:38:10  Show Profile
Hi PeterL
I was very interested in your reply to Robin's posting as it is perhaps relevant to an investigation Robin and I have corresponding over for some months.
I am investigating the origin of a L1 special which had its chassis number removed when re registered in Bristol 1947 after the war. This car is L Type forward of the body tub. The body is from a P Type, The dashboard is set under the scuttle with the profile of a saloon or early F Type. The first place I looked for a number was the bonnet hinge this has no number. Could this chassis have had a non factory body? Robin has reviewed the records of possible cars but there is no record of body type for our candidate range of cars. So this may be another clue.
I will post another question regarding authentification of chassis numbers shortly.
Without authentification by the MGCC including date of manufacture and the all important chassis number, I cannot apply to the DVLA for recovery of a UK registration and V5C. The owner who lives in France cannot register the car for use in France without registration documents from the country of origin. Latest EU rules and the reason the V5 became the V5C.

PeterL. Did you live in london Colney in the 1990s and at that time restoring a P Type?
Allan Bentley

Go to Top of Page

Jerry Preston-Ladd

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 24/02/2012 :  12:58:09  Show Profile
Hi Robin,

My PA bonnet has 1187 stamped on it (my chassis is 0417) but no other marking is evident re a paint code.

Jerry
PA0417
Go to Top of Page

pauly45

United Kingdom
435 Posts

Posted - 26/02/2012 :  20:18:54  Show Profile
The stampings on the bonnet with our PA. No sign of a colour stamping though.

Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2012 :  11:14:27  Show Profile
Thanks to everyone who has posted or mailed me directly with images, apologies as well because I've been rather busy to reply to everyone directly. It's been very interesting to see the lack of consistency with it all ( What did you expect? I hear you say ). So I will put together a summary and post the series up here in the next few days.

Thanks again.

Regards

Robin

J2 J3666
Go to Top of Page

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 27/02/2012 :  15:14:44  Show Profile
I am a little late I know, but my PB has only the body number "0543" stamped on the bonnet hinge.

As George has kindly pointed out I should have written chassis number, not body number.

Keith

Edited by - Keith Wallace on 29/02/2012 06:53:16
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000