Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Invitation to Pre-War Prescott, Saturday 21st July
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

JMH

United Kingdom
913 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2012 :  22:00:07  Show Profile
Seconded - a nice relaxed day "tinkering" & going by the number of times some went up the hill & good time was had by all, also the REAL J2 brought back some old memories. It's so nice to take your own time warming up & not to hear "would all cars in class X now go to the paddock exit" when you've got a stone cold engine!

JH
Go to Top of Page

Colin Morse

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2012 :  08:18:00  Show Profile

Just returned from pre-war prescott, it was just great. Almost every type of MMM car there, drive straight in through the gate, no crowds, completely relaxed atmosphere, met lots of old MG friends, spitfire flypast, climb the hill as often as you like, and as competitively as you care to make it, or just let the wife trundle up with the kids!!! It will be interesting to compare it with the VSCC event.
Thanks to the organisers, couldn't be better!
Colin Morse
J2332
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2012 :  09:17:36  Show Profile
Sadly I didn't manage to get there - clutch failure at Cirencester and home for an early bath - see my other entries in the relevant sections!

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2012 :  18:59:41  Show Profile
Hi all

The attached photo shows part of the dislay of Triple-M cars plus the small D Type marquee put up by Ted Hack.

How about a good turnout for next year?

George
L2023 and NA0960
Nr Buckingham

Go to Top of Page

saltandvinegar

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2012 :  20:00:11  Show Profile
Wonderful day at the Vintage Minor Prescott meet. 'The right crowd and no crowding' as they used to say. No noise police so very relaxing! The Spitfire display was excellent -a Mk XIX- judging by the cannon. Regrettably due to staff sickness during the week we were unable to load and bring the S&V Spares Lorry -so brought the Evans C/R Sprint Car instead. Congratulations once again to Ian Grace and Frank Ashley for a wonderful day.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2569 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2012 :  20:28:40  Show Profile
Hi Mike,

Sorry to be anoraky, particularly as I wasn't there! If the Spit had cannon it cannot have been a Mk XIX as they were unarmed photo-recce aircraft. The BoB Memorial Flight used to have 2 but I think may have sold one of them, or swapped it for something they hadn't got.

All the best & many thanks for all your help,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
705 Posts

Posted - 22/07/2012 :  22:14:49  Show Profile
Dave,

Continuing the anorak theme the BBMF still has two Mk XIX Spitfires. They used to have three which were pensioned off from the Temperature and Humidity Monitoring Flight in 1957 to form the Historic Aircraft Flight (which subsequently became the BBMF) at Biggin Hill.

John R
Go to Top of Page

saltandvinegar

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  17:30:35  Show Profile
Sorry guys it must have been a MkIX then! What do you expect from an ex Cessna/Piper driver!

But still a wonderful sight and sound.

Mike

Edited by - saltandvinegar on 23/07/2012 17:33:16
Go to Top of Page

saltandvinegar

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2012 :  17:45:58  Show Profile
In response to Colin Morse's Post I don't think you can compare the excellent Vintage Minor Prescott to the present VSCC Prescott. Maybe it was what Prescott used to be like pre-war! In the 21st century VSCC Prescott has become a victim of its own success. Too many people, too many competitiors and not enough room.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2012 :  00:10:02  Show Profile
As Mike said "Wonderful day with the right crowd and no crowding"! Went in Ewan's F up the motorway from Devon, 3 hours to arrive at Prescott, 6 hours there and three hours back. 12 hours of Triple M heaven! Then down to Paignton in the M on Sunday. Super weekend!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

FrankAshleymgm

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2012 :  16:46:03  Show Profile
According to the message from the BBMF office on Friday, the Spit was a Mk V. The 4 flypasts were wonderful to watch brought a lump to many a throat and received a well deserved applause. I don't know what we will be able to get for next year, but I'm sure Ian will be able to conjure something out of the hat.

Frank

Frank Ashley
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2569 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2012 :  20:57:26  Show Profile
Oh well then 2 cannon & no cannon stubs as the IX would have. Not that you'd see the stubs from the ground.

More anoraking from Dave.
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 24/07/2012 :  21:40:06  Show Profile
We stayed for the tour on the Sunday. It was an excellent route with nice places to visit, beautiful scenery, quiet country lanes, several challenging hills and a couple of fords, one of which came over our seats.

Altogether a really smashing weekend.

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

Ian Grace

USA
662 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2012 :  09:17:31  Show Profile
In haste - we're touring Yorkshire prior to the VMR Northern Weekend.

We got lucky and were allocated the Spitfire Mk Vb AB 510: http://www.raf.mod.uk/bbmf/theaircraft/spitfireab910.cfm

Thanks to everyone who came along and made Prescott such a great day, and we all had fun on Sunday too - all under blues skies.

Ian
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2012 :  09:44:45  Show Profile
Hello Ian

When is next year's? If I can get the date in my diary I may be able to juggle other events!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 25/07/2012 09:46:13
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000