Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 luggage racks
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  12:16:59  Show Profile
In anticipation of touring sur le continent in the J2 in the autumn I'm thinking of fitting one of the luggage racks that are available from the usual dealer sources. My question is, can you get at the spare wheel on a J2 with one of these racks fitted? And also does the fitting at the rear of the body require any adjustment of either hood or tonneau cover?

David R

United Kingdom
289 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  17:21:20  Show Profile
Hello Simon

I have one of these luggage racks fitted to my J2. It looks a universal type bolted through the bolts holding the tank straps at the top and with two legs attached to the rear spring trunnion mounts. It slopes slightly upwards.

There is no problem attaching or detaching the spare wheel. It can be a little difficult attaching the hood to the two longer rear studs due to the clearance or lack of it and sometimes I leave these studs undone,particularly if I am in a hurry in wet weather. It can also be a bit fiddly filling the tank as the nozzle has to be inserted between the cross tubes.

The real problem is one of visibility. With luggage on the normal rear view mirror is useless as the rearward view is totally obscured. I have to rely on the wing mirror/passenger/leaning out of the car. With the hood up it would be even worse.

I have seen luggage racks that fit over the spare wheel in various ways so that the luggage is out of the rearward line of vision. This obviously makes the wheel more difficult to get at,and with a heavy load the handling/steering may be adversely affected.

David

(J 3355)
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
431 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  17:45:49  Show Profile
Less luggage ??
Sorry all I could not resist...

All the best
Sven
L2 that has the same amount of "space"
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  18:49:53  Show Profile
David,

Many thanks for this reassurance that it does fit and not obscure the spare, even if rearward visibility is non existent. Would you have any photos of the installation that you could let me have? And clearly I'd also need to get a mirror on the left hand screen pillar for driving on the 'wrong' side of the road.

And Sven, you're absolutely right, but I doubt if I could convince Mrs. J of this
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  20:03:11  Show Profile
Simon - how about having a purpose made leather holdall designed to strap onto the spare wheel? This type of arrangement is often seen on Bugatti type 35s, and I have seen it on a couple of European Triple-M cars at past MGCC Silverstone meetings. I am thinking of doing this on the L2! George.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  20:48:56  Show Profile
George - sounds very 1920s/30s although 'slumming' it with Bugattis might be going a bit far. But there again, style is everything! So any pointers as to where I might see such items online?
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1045 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  23:02:45  Show Profile
Get a 4 seater!
Now you are all disappointed you rebuilt those J1/F1/K1's in to 2 seaters ;)

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2012 :  11:36:12  Show Profile
Here's a small one:

One that's a bit bigger:

And the biggest I have seen, but I guess you can go as big as you want :

Regards,
Cat
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2012 :  18:52:52  Show Profile
The best holdall I recall was on on the P type owned by Philip Quy who made it out of leather and with the MG logo - very posh.

Marks and Spencer make a canvas holdall - I think it is in their Autograph range at £45 - which would look the part? It was mentioned in one of last month's classic magazines, I cannot recall which magazine, as being possibly suitable for use with a classic car.

George
NA0960 and L2023
Nr Buckingham, UK
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2012 :  20:07:43  Show Profile
Many thanks for the photos, Cat, but I fear it's null points for style with these! I'll check out the M & S holdall, George, but not sure that having it dangling off the spare wheel is the right look!!
Go to Top of Page

Nick Dean

United Kingdom
444 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2012 :  20:33:30  Show Profile
Simon, IKEA sell a stainless steel 4 bar towel rail which fits perfectly on a PA etc. Width 31.5 inches, depth 11. inches.All you need is 2 vertical bars up from the chassis to support it on top of the spare wheel. £17-99. It looks fine and carries a vintage siutcase or holdall . Good luck. Nick Dean.

N A Dean
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2012 :  20:39:12  Show Profile
Thanks, Nick, I'll check that out.
Go to Top of Page

BobRichards RIP

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2012 :  09:43:36  Show Profile
Keith Wallace described how to make a neat spare-wheel mounted rack in Bulletin no 63 (October 2011).
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2012 :  10:23:39  Show Profile
Thanks, Bob, I'd missed that article. Looks promising. although perhaps best suited to a P than a J as the latter's spare wheel cradle isn't as robust as a P type one and hanging a suitcase onto the wheel might put quite a bit of strain on the carrier and also on the fuel tank.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 30/04/2012 10:25:59
Go to Top of Page

Irish Man

Ireland
16 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2012 :  11:54:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Simon Johnston

Many thanks for the photos, Cat, but I fear it's null points for style with these! I'll check out the M & S holdall, George, but not sure that having it dangling off the spare wheel is the right look!!

google Mark and Spencer Autograph collection code T093677 and hit your image button.
or page 59 Classic and Sports car may 2012.
Go to Top of Page

spyder

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2012 :  17:32:16  Show Profile
Buggatistes favour Swiss Army surplus rucksacks. I believe supplies have been exhausted and may therefore be considered suitably exclusive for the marque, though, perhaps the Argentinians will eventually produce replicas.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000