Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 luggage racks
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2012 :  21:30:08  Show Profile
Interestingly, you can still get genuine Meccano from Argentina!
Go to Top of Page

Dan Shockey

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  18:57:02  Show Profile
Check out: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?p=WX2&i=176802
Swedish Rucksack with Frame. Used in good condition. $20.00. The frame could be a problem, or could be removed.

Or: http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?p=WX2&i=187291
Retro Large Canvas Yukon Rucksack. $30.00

(No financial interest but have had good products from this company.)
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  19:49:18  Show Profile
Dan,

Many thanks for these suggestions but I've pretty much decided to go for some sort of rack to hold a suitcase rather than a rucksack hanging on the spare wheel. With the J2, the spare wheel is effectively slung on the fuel tank and I'd prefer not to add any more weight to that.

But more generally, I was browsing Malcolm Green's book on the four cylinder MMM Road Cars last night and in it there is a copy of a full page advertisement for Derrington accessories which shows a rack for the J2 not unlike those currently available but with a few significant differences, namely that the uprights that support the rack are secured to the rack with wing nuts, the rack itself has no retaining upright frame at the front, i.e. next to the body, and the rack seems to be on a hinged bracket at the front rather than directly bolted to the bodywork. It would therefore clearly be possible to undo the wing nuts and swing the rack upwards to get at the spare wheel.

However I gather there is also a variant that bolts to the chassis and carries the luggage to the rear of the spare wheel and I'm following up on that as well.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000