Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Slosh Tank Sealant
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  08:25:11  Show Profile
I've just treated my fuel tank with Slosh Tank Sealant purchased from Rusterbuster - an excellent product, superb service and very competitively priced. BUT be very careful with masking any threads the stuff will lock them solid. I screwed a scrap fitting into the hole for the tap and eventually had to drill it out. In fairness Rustbuster do tell you to mask threads but be especially careful!

Cheers

Jan T

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  08:55:50  Show Profile
http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=4072

I have heard that some tank sealants react badly to ethanol containing fuels.

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  09:19:59  Show Profile
Tank sealants have been used extensively in the classic motorcycle world.

There have lately been reports of problems and, at a recent large classic show, my impression was that many fewer stalls were selling sealants.

Should a tank sealant prove defective, who pays?

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  10:02:58  Show Profile
From Rusterbusters:-
"We have tested our product over the last two years with up to 100% corn
bio ethanol and the product still show no reaction. We are pretty sure
that you will not have a problem. The formula has been the same for 15
years so we do not expect older applications to have a problem either.

Unfortunately we do not control the petrol companies but we are pretty
confident."

Pretty Sure Pretty Confident ?

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  10:28:24  Show Profile
The POR-15 sealant that Frost sells is ethanol resistant, but like any of these products you must follow the procedure TO THE LETTER!

I also try to use fuel that contains no ethanol - at the moment Super Unleaded from BP, Esso & Texaco doesn't contain any (apart from areas in the south west I believe).
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  10:30:05  Show Profile
There is a good article on Ethanol in the June issue of my bi-monthly (independent of all car clubs) magazine "Totally T-Type 2" http://ttypes.org/ttt2

The article is by Paul Ireland, who has been conducting a number of tests using three “fuels”, BP Ultimate (premium 97 RON) as a control (which is ethanol free in his area), E10 with added water to “wash out” the ethanol and “pure” E10.

Remember, you read it first in TTT 2!

JOHN JAMES http://ttypes.org
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  10:32:03  Show Profile
What is there to lose? At £25 delivered to my door I am prepared to take the risk of the sealer failing rather than the certainty that the petrol line will be blocked with rust debris.

Cheers

jan T
Go to Top of Page

Martin Warner

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  10:36:09  Show Profile
If the sealer fails you will find bits of it all through your fuel system instead of the rust!
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  11:51:16  Show Profile
I have used the sealant in both motor cycle and prewar MG applications with excellent results. Perhaps the fuel down here in Oz is less likely to attack the sealant?
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  17:08:52  Show Profile
Hi Jan,

On the bottom of a P / L1/ N type tanks there are bosses with an internal thread. Two of these are feeds for main and reserve fuel lines and the third is a drain plug. Are you saying that if you use Rustbuster and seal these bosses with brass blanking plugs they will be glued in and unable to be removed? If this is the case how do they expect you to slosh the tank? If you tape up the tank with say with “gaffer tape” the internal threads will still get “tank slosh” on the internal threads. Am I missing something here???? I ask the question as I have two new tanks I was thinking of coating with “tank slosh”.

Does anyone know if the slosh from Frost, the POR15 has the same issues as the Rustbuster one that Jan used???..... regards….. Terry A
Go to Top of Page

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  17:22:46  Show Profile
Terry,
I treated a PB tank with the frost tank sealant, I plugged the holes with wooden dowling,
once the sealant started to go off I removed the plugs and was able to reconnect the pipe work without a problem.
The tank lasted a about year but was really too far gone with rust to repair.

Keith
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  18:25:23  Show Profile
When you roll the sealant around the tank you need to concentrate on all the seams/welds - on my K tank I didn't get the sealant anywhere near the top filler bosses or fuel feed & Hobson boss.
After leaving the tank draining over night I ran a tap up the drain plug thread.

Edited by - etlanpa on 10/05/2012 18:29:32
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  18:56:53  Show Profile
Hi Terry,

That's exactly what happened to me - the brass plugs could have been screwed in with locktite. I suspect that if I had warmed them they would have unscrewed but obviously didn't want to put a flame near a petrol tank. I was recommended the Rustbuster sealer by a friend and he has now told me that I should have plugged all threads with silicon bath sealant the night before. Apparently this can be easilly removed with a pair of snipe nosed pliers once the sealant has set. OK the sealant may not be a long term cure but what's the alternative?

Cheers

Jan
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2012 :  23:50:00  Show Profile
To say that something is 'resistant' to something else is to use a weasel word.

A paper towel is water-resistant, but not much.

Do be sure to seal carefully the filler cap as well since most sealants will damage paintwork. I was looking today at a motor cycle tank with the beautifully-restored paint ruined by slosh sealant which had leaked under the cap. .

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
874 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2012 :  12:04:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by etlanpa
on my K tank I didn't get the sealant anywhere near the top filler bosses or fuel feed & Hobson boss.

I think it is useful to identify the type of thinner, which matches the tank sealant, and also to provide a tin of that stuff. (For the sealant I used it was "acetone")
At low temperature the sealants sometimes are so stiff, that they refuse to flow easy in all directions, and adding some thinner can make all the difference.
Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

PaulusPotter

Netherlands
202 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2012 :  15:52:02  Show Profile
Gentlemen,

For my cars i used a tank sealer both tanks did not give any trouble the MGA was done 26 years ago the TC 3 years ago.

By the way Gerhard just for your information several types of sealer are dissolved in a acetone like liquid but mostly this is methyl iso buthyl ketone shortly MIK.

Terry, I took out the plugs after one day without any problem.

Paul
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000