Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 tonneau cover and hood fitting
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6184 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  08:13:19  Show Profile
I'll be getting the tonneau cover and hood made for my J2 next month when it finally returns home and inevitably have a few queries about how they should fit. The longer length Lift the Dot studs on the rear of the body work would suggest that the intention was that the hood was left fastened to the body and the half tonneau cover fitted over it, otherwise why bother with the longer studs? I've also seen reference to fitting the tonneau cover underneath the hood when it was up in order to provide some protection for items stowed behind the seat. But would the hood frame not then get in the way?

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  08:44:20  Show Profile
The longitudinal webbing fits on the longer studs at the rear as well as the hood material, as not all the studs around the rear body are long ones

Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 04/06/2012 08:58:58
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6184 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  09:32:22  Show Profile
David,

Thanks for this input. Should the webbing have a Lift the Dot fastener or does it simply have a hole that fits loosely over the stud? But in any case, all the studs round the rear of my car were long ones - only the studs just above the door hinge are the short ones. And as far as I can determine, these were the original studs.

Rgds,

Simon
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  09:50:46  Show Profile
Sorry Simon
Describing mine only so will wait and see what the experts say, no lift dot on the webbing but had to look as the hood has been under the bed for 10 years or so. I only have two long studs and a waterproof hat.

Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 04/06/2012 09:55:52
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  11:36:58  Show Profile
Car is in France with a broken half shaft so cannot just pop down and look. These photos might help: long studs all the way round the back. No hood so don't know how it or the webbing fits.

Cheers

P

PS anyone know why there should be holes at the bottom of the wings?

Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  12:50:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by PeterL

anyone know why there should be holes at the bottom of the wings?

Mud flaps?

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  16:20:55  Show Profile
Red round reflectors?

Keith
Go to Top of Page

Christian Cottes

France
114 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  21:52:33  Show Profile
I counted 16 studs on my September 1932 J2's rear body tub. I cannot certify that they are original, but yes they are old, with this nice rounded shape and all plating gone. Anyway, only # 1 and # 16, near the upper door hinges on each side, are double length.

Christian
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6184 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  08:43:30  Show Profile
How interesting, Christian. Any reference I've seen refers to 12 studs in total (and my August 1933 car had 12) and the two that you find are long are the ones that are generally the short ones, and vice versa. Curiouser and curiouser!
Go to Top of Page

Simon

United Kingdom
455 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  21:19:04  Show Profile
My J2 also has the 12 studs, all long except the 2 by the door hinges. I've never figured out how to best arrange hood/tonneau arrangement but have the tonneau fixed outside the hood and if the hood has to go up then tonneau is rolled up and rests on top of the fuel tank or luggage carrier. The two webbing straps I fixed direct to the back of the tub but I learned later they should have been fixed with studs. Never mind! Simon.
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  22:11:48  Show Profile
I'm just about to have a go at making a hood this week. I find it startling that after virtually eighty years there is no common database for information on these cars. If there were seventeen out of a production of two hundred that would sound right. It just goes to show how much information was carried over in peoples' heads.. and junked when new models came along.
If it wasn't for a Mr Allison gathering some documents together, we'd all be much the poorer.
Go to Top of Page

Christian Cottes

France
114 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  23:01:42  Show Profile
Spitfire,

Database is a modern concept ! You find startling that there is no common consensus on a detail such as how many studs, and what lenght, etc. I find it amusing, and, should I say, charming. Things have not always been as standardized as they are today. When you have a very close look at period pictures of a given car, say J2, you can spot dozens of detail differences between prototype, #2130, #2436, #3076 and so on. Then what ? Being for a long time now in French Amilcar circles, I have learned that, even if 500+ of these cars still survive, they are all different in detail.

By the way, does one really need a hood ? The two latest drives in May with the J2 were under pouring rain. Yes, even in southern France. Rain'x on the windscreen and a pair of manual operated wipers, plus a full tonneau cover for the nights did the job.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  09:56:28  Show Profile
Well said Christian. I agree with all that you say.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2571 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  11:21:00  Show Profile
One of the reasons for this Spitfire is that on the production line they tended to use what was to hand. If 100 of an item had been ordered, when that was used up, the next lot may well have come from a different supplier or any one of a dozen other reasons why J2**4 was slightly different from J2**5. Not the sort of thing anyone would bother to record. Not the sort of thing a production manager would plan.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  11:59:59  Show Profile
As a continuing believer in the value of a wiki information base (not the same as a database), then a page on a subject can, over time, gather up all the specific information on that subject and be the single source document of reference, ideally with each granule showing the name of the referer. This can increasingly build up to provide informed comment relating to specific cars, production runs, body styles and all the other variables. Searching the archives may give a broad picture or a few specific example always in a very fragmented and sometimes rather superficial form. And it can be difficult to identify which is which

The longer we leave it the more scattered data has to be reviewed, and gathered in and then validated.

Sorry if this is too far OT, but the thread is going down this path.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6184 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  14:20:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Bowers

....., but the thread is going down this path.

Yes, it is, isn't it?

Any chance of going back to my original question which was not 'should I have a hood?', nor even 'why don't we have a data base?', but rather was the hood fitted more or less permanently to the Lift the Dot studs and the tonneau cover then fitted over the hood?

Does anyone know?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000