Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Petition - demise of MOT testing.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 08/06/2012 :  21:31:27  Show Profile
The trouble comes about in that the Ministry Of Transport test (MOT) is a legal document.
Flawed to some point as we can see a safety loophole, but at least "we're up with the Jones'" in as much we all carry the same document.
This issue is not the scope of the MOT (yet) but how we fare without one.

Edited by - spitfire on 08/06/2012 21:31:52
Go to Top of Page

Jerry Preston-Ladd

United Kingdom
20 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  14:25:51  Show Profile
I think it's great to have a different "the end is nigh" topic. I was starting to get bored with the ethanol in petrol one.

Personally I shall continue to take my PA and a pre-1960 motorcycle I own for what will now be a 'voluntary' MOT. That way they are no less 'roadworthy' to be on the road that any other vehicle and, more importantly, the tester could well spot something I've missed. The two testing stations I use (one for cars, one for bikes) are both very knowledgeable and experienced re old vehicles and are actually a pleasure to deal with.

Jerry
PA0417
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 09/06/2012 :  16:29:32  Show Profile
I don't really want to be another doom monger but I do wonder if we would be able to get a voluntary MoT? Many of the regulations that our cars are excluded from have some sort of applicable date - surely this will become a uniform one of 1st Jan 1960... but the regs are likely to be re-framed to apply to only post-1960 vehicles, so for example a speedo would be required...

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
655 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2012 :  15:52:53  Show Profile
Question for the pundits.
If you go and have a voluntary MOT and the chap fails the car, for whatever reason.
Can you then ignore it "my cars exempt guvnor"
or does one have to have it fixed before getting back on the road??
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  10:25:10  Show Profile
Tony,

This isn't one for the pundits at all. If you submit your car voluntarily for a safety inspection and it fais, you are really asking for trouble if you ignore the advice. By all means get a second opinion if you want one, but if both testers agree that your car is not safe, you run the risk of any insurance claim being turned down, and possibly a police prosecution arising for knowingly driving your car in an unsafe condition.

This really goes back to the point which I think I have already made previously. The M.O.T cerificate (and any private certificate which you may purchase) is only valid at the time of testing. One month, or even one week or pssibly one day after the certificate was issued, it has very little relevance, whilst some people seem to think that it is a cast iron guarantee that their car is perfectly safe for the next twelve months. It is up to us as owners and operators of the car, to ensure that the car s roadworthy at all times and how we achieve that is our own personal choice to make. Leaving aside steering arms and axle beams which might or might not suddenly break without warning, most other safety critical items occur more gradually and give quite a lot of prior warning. by producing odd and worrying noises, uneven braking or wandering steering. If you become aware of anything out of the ordinary, don't ignore it - just check it out and fix it. Simples, isn't it.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2012 :  13:16:26  Show Profile
I spoke to my friend who runs an MOT station. No VOSA information on this has appeared to his knowledge.
He has heard these proposals before, as in MOTs being every two years...
that "get out" before they're concrete... then are, not so much shelved but, not introduced.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000