Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2? for sale on eBay
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

rgmorse

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  20:23:44  Show Profile
Hi Greg,
Thank you for the response. Can you tell me where to look for an engine.
My best,
Roger

Roger in Poestenkill, NY
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  20:31:30  Show Profile
Your best looking for a complete Morris minor over head cam engine you can use lots of parts off that as most are same as j2. You may be able to use a Morris or mg m type block. It needs a deep cut out on the front so a big dynamo will fit there. You should advertise on here in the wanted section that will be a good start.
Go to Top of Page

Barry Walker

United Kingdom
230 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  22:03:08  Show Profile
Hi Roger. Pleased you got yourself a J2. Look, I have a complete J2 engine in stock , less head, but including all the parts FOR the head. Contact me at the business by e-mailing.... barry@barrywalker.com.... and we'll sort it all out for you, rad. shell and all. Hope this helps, regards Barry Walker.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2012 :  23:01:07  Show Profile
Roger

Congratulations on your purchase and welcome to the Triple-M world.

I have looked at the 2012 printed Register and note it does not show J3328 so it may well be a "new" car. No doubt our Registrar Robin Hamblett will be able to confirm this.

Best regards

George
L2023 and NA0960
Nr Buckingham, UK
Go to Top of Page

doctorbob

United Kingdom
145 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2012 :  11:28:40  Show Profile
Hello Roger, can I advise caution when finding yourself a J2 engine. I found myself in the very same position as you do now with a J2 but no engine. I was sold what turned out to be an M type rather than a J type engine as I had been promised. Although the blocks are similar, the flywheel and clutch are different. Always assume that the engine needs rebuilding, even if you are advised that this was sorted by the previous owner.
If I recall correctly there was a headless M type engine being sold as a J type down at Beaulieu this year!
Good luck with the rebuild, challenging but fun !
Bob
Go to Top of Page

Jon Marsh

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2012 :  17:44:01  Show Profile
Hello Roger,

I have a J2 engine which i could sell. It is totally rebuilt and running. It was rebuilt by Eric Tieche and I bought it from him a couple of years ago when my J2 engine had gone wrong. But I fixed my engine, so i never used the engine from Eric. I can send photos etc. It has new everything, rebuilt dynamo and starter, new clutch, new manifiold. I can send photos, but am away tomorrow until next week. I paid Eric a lot of money for this engine, so i will not be giving it away. It looks like new. All painted, overhauled carbs. Its ready to pop in which is what i was going to do, i may still do it, mut I am slightly short of funds and I could do with moving it from my garage before my wife spots it! If she knew how much I had paid it would be the end of me! Are you interested
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2012 :  17:51:47  Show Profile
An engine totally rebuilt by Eric Tieche would be done to a high standard and no doubt would perform really well.

May be expensive but a very nice way to go!

George
L2023 and NA0960
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2012 :  08:00:16  Show Profile
Well done Roger! Welcome to the world of the pre war MG.
You are a fair distance from the car. Do you intend to have a bodyshop do the work on the car, or embark on it yourself. I have had Harleys from the mid west USA that looked like this but the corrosion was just surface "dust". Hopefully there is quite a rescue-able car in there!
There are many people in this club that can guide you through the stages of restoration.
I'm glad you have joined and it is exciting that it may be a "new" car come to light.
Take a nice lot of photographs when you get it... (The painted racing flags are an interesting document of part of it's life.)
It's going to change a lot!

Edited by - spitfire on 15/09/2012 08:00:50
Go to Top of Page

rgmorse

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2012 :  23:47:29  Show Profile
Thank you for the warm welcome. I brought 3 of my cars, a TC, TF and MGA coupe to the British Invasion in Stove, VT. It is the biggest all British car show in the US. The winning car in the pre-war class in the concourse was a a beautiful 1933 J2 restored and owned by Patrick McPherson. I got many pictures to help guide my restoration work, and good advice as well.

I expect to do as much of the work as I am able, but will probably need lots of help and advice - oh, and parts, like an engine.

My best,
Roger

Roger in Poestenkill, NY
Go to Top of Page

rgmorse

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  04:37:45  Show Profile
I am just back from having picked up the car. My fiancé and I went on a great J2 road trip to pick up two J2’s. We flew to New Orleans, rented a U-Haul truck and picked up J2 304 in Covington, Louisiana. It had been taken apart in the 1960's and was never reassembled. It is now in the very capable hands of Tom Metcalf at Safety Fast Restorations in Mansfield, Ohio. Tom said he would have it all back together in two weeks, or maybe he said two years - I will have to learn to pay better attention.

We then drove to St. Louse and rented a trailer and picked up J2 3328, which at this point was located in an open storage shed behind an auto repair shop. The rear wheels would not turn, so it took a jack and flatbed to get it in the trailer. The trip back to our house in Poestenkill, NY included a stop at Safety Fast to drop off J2 304. All told the trip was about 1,800 miles.

Once back in Poestenkill I found 3328 to be in much better shape than I expected. I parked it in my driveway and removed the mouse infested and rotted upholstery, and the remains of the powderpost beetle consumed plywood. The beetles had turned the interior of all the plywood panels to powder, but had left the ash in the tub alone. Thank heavens for picky eaters! Then I power washed away 50 years of filth and could actually see the wood and metal. It looks like the car had originally been blue from the traces of paint found on the fender wells and scuttle. Tom Metcalf thinks it was two tones of blue. The interior was in many layers and clearly not original. But there were some traces of what looked to be the remains of blue vinyl. The wood has the usual rot, but only under the doors, and the metal has only surface rust. The frame has only slight surface rust with no pitting at all. It has a steering wheel that just needs polishing and the car steers easily. The transmission shifts easily into all gears, and the wheels came off, so I could put on tires that would hold air, with only a light tap on the knock-off. The rear brakes are still locked up keeping the rear wheels from turning freely. Evidentially, the barn was pretty weather tight.

My plan is to turn 3328 into a vintage race car to run with the VSCCA at events in the Northeast, US. So I am on the hunt for information about the bits and parts needed to make a reliable race motor, and to rebuild the transmission, rear end, and brakes so that the car will be durable and perform well under race conditions. Then I will be on the hunt for parts. Getting it on track should only take two weeks or so, OK, maybe more like two years – I have to learn to keep my optimism in check while I practice paying attention.

For those that are interested, I have posted a bunch of photographs on my son’s web site
http://www.photoplace.com/Cars/MG-J2-3328

Roger in Poestenkill

Roger in Poestenkill, NY
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  10:33:05  Show Profile
Thanks for the photos.

At last we have some of the half tonneau. Simon Johnstone have you seen them???

Interested in the position of your hood frame brackets, do you think they are correct?

It appeared on my car that they were wider apart, about an inch further towards the outside of the car, and screwed into the curved wooden fillet below the wheel arch.

Cheers

P

Edited by - PeterL on 08/11/2012 10:48:11
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 08/11/2012 :  11:13:53  Show Profile
Thanks for the pointer, Peter. I'd missed all the pictures as I didn't realise you had to click on one of them to bring the full set up.

Roger, welcome to the J2 Club. Would it be possible to have some photos specifically of the half tonneau cover? This is a long running saga here (for me at least) - how exactly was the J2 half tonneau constructed and in particular were the flaps over the folded hood frame secured with a Lift the Dot fastener or not?

EDIT: In looking in a bit more detail at some of the photos it's interesting to note that the headlight stay has the brackets to move the headlights closer together to reduce the amount of spray from the wheels. And assuming that this was done to the car some years ago, and that therefore the headlight stay is the original one, it suggests that the modified headlight stay where the revised position was part of the casting was only actually introduced sometime during the last 100 cycle wing cars. Hardly very cost effective when they could just have continued using the additional brackets. But interesting nonetheless.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 08/11/2012 11:20:34
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000