Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA Restoration
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Keith Gosden

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  13:55:35  Show Profile
I am a new member to the MMM club, who is just about to take delivery, from a very reputable dealer; my first pre-war car which is a 1934 PA 4 seat tourer. The dealer states that she is a ‘very original car with the correct engine, gearbox, dash and fittings in good running order that would allow the chance to carry out a rolling restoration. It has old paint, but runs very well & freely, the engine bays have all been tidied up, distributor & electrics serviced, lamps & indicators re-wired and dash all checked & working.’
Given this, I, a novice at these things, am looking to find a good reliable garage / workshop which could;
• Undertake a review of the car and supply me with a list of what needs to done and what could be undertaken
• To give some advice on the urgency of these works, along with a cost
Do any of your members have any suggestions ‘off the record’ as to who to contact and just as important who not to contact! I live in Norfolk but am willing to travel with the car. I am already in contact with Oliver Richardson but are there others?

Edited by - Keith Gosden on 04/09/2012 18:10:15

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  14:06:47  Show Profile
Your first steps might be to check the chassis number on the O/S front dumb-iron casting and then to obtain a copy of the PA's build records from the MGCC - if they are not with the car - in order to find just how original it is and what its ex-works specification was.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  14:45:07  Show Profile
Keith,

While I stress I have no personal experience of them (geography!) I have read good things of Fisher's Garage, Walberswick in Suffolk; can't be a million miles from you.

Welcome & good luck,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Keith Gosden

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  16:44:15  Show Profile
Thanks for this I will certainly check and have already asked about a copy of the spec data.

Keith

quote:
Originally posted by Bob Stringfield

Your first steps might be to check the chassis number on the O/S front dumb-iron casting and then to obtain a copy of the PA's build records from the MGCC - if they are not with the car - in order to find just how original it is and what its ex-works specification was.

Go to Top of Page

Keith Gosden

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  16:45:35  Show Profile
Dave

Many thanks they may be worth a look - if not I can always have a pint of Adnams!!

Keith
quote:
Originally posted by Oz34

Keith,

While I stress I have no personal experience of them (geography!) I have read good things of Fisher's Garage, Walberswick in Suffolk; can't be a million miles from you.

Welcome & good luck,

Dave

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2012 :  16:48:49  Show Profile

Hi Keith

Welcome to our Triple-M world.

I agree with Bob, you need to check the chassis number which in addition to the dumb iron should be on the bonnet hinge and the guarantee plate which should be bolted to the firewall. This plate will also have the engine number stamped on it; this number will be stamped on the nearside and to the rear of the block.

Hopefully the car will also come with documentary evidence of the recent work done?

You can also contact our Registrar Robin Hamblett to see if the car is known to the Register.

A 4 seat P type is a fairly rare car as most have been made into 2 seaters.

George
Hon Sec
L2023 and NA0960
Nr Buckingham.
Go to Top of Page

rossk

United Kingdom
495 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2012 :  20:31:57  Show Profile
Hi Keith

James Gunn would be worth a call he is located near Dunmow Essex, if you care to email me direct I can pass on his contact numbers.

Ross Keeling
Go to Top of Page

bennyjunt

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2012 :  09:46:12  Show Profile
Hello Keith,

I live down in Essex and can thoroughly recommend my local garage, Alan Collins from Maldon ( 01621 852058 ) he is totally reliable and honest, just the person for good sound advice who will not try and empty your bank account!

He has looked after my classic cars for 20+ years I think that says it all. If you have deep pockets I live just round the corner from Clark and Carter Restorations one of the best restorers in this part of the country, they have just finished painting my J2 there attention to detail is second to none,

Happy motoring call in if your passing Steve Bunting

Stephen Bunting
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  00:01:47  Show Profile
If I can be of any help Keith I'm just across the Norfolk /Suffolk border near Bury St. Edmunds.

Bob Milton
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  09:48:19  Show Profile
I don't quite understand why Keith hasn't discussed all this with the "very reputable dealer" before he purchased the car. I am sure the dealer would have been willing to list any work req'd along with priority and estimate. Rich
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2012 :  10:14:18  Show Profile
Is there an MoT on this car? A thorough check of the kingpins, front and rear springs, all wheel bearings and steering and ball joints is a priority, just as a starters. How much play is there at the steering wheel?

JOHN JAMES (PB0722)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000