Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Dodson K3 International Trophy 1934
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Peter Seager-Thomas

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2012 :  20:24:00  Show Profile
I'm adding the finishing touches to a slot racing K3, and like most cars I build, would like it to carry a genuine identification. The car I'd like to do is the Charlie Dodson class winning car from the International Trophy, but I can find no pictures nor entry lists to provide race number details. Can anyone help please?

Thanks in advance, Peter.

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2012 :  21:14:58  Show Profile
Hi Peter

I can't add the information you require but wonder if you are taking orders for more of these?

Regards

Robin

J2 J3666
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2012 :  22:36:17  Show Profile
Peter

I may be a bit shaky on my history, and it may not answer your question anyway, but wasn't the winning Dodson car in the 1934 TT an NE? (Chassis no. NA0522)

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6141 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  07:34:57  Show Profile
It was the Ards TT that Dodson won in the NE, Dick, Peter is asking about the International Trophy which was held at Brooklands although whether Dodson drove a K3 at that is another question. Maybe someone with Boddy's Brooklands book to hand could answer?

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 01/10/2012 12:15:06
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  09:53:40  Show Profile
Charlie Dodson did race a K3 in the 1934 International Trophy but I do not know what his race number was.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Peter Seager-Thomas

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  09:56:02  Show Profile
The original information came from Motor Sport for June 1934, the race having been held on April 28th.
The Motor Sport Digital Archives are recommended reading.
Dodson not only won his class (Group 2) but also the prize for 'Best Performance of an All British Car', his speed being 84.87 mph. The winner's speed was 89.62, this being in a Maserati.
Dodson was 8th overall. 9th was Black, 10th Hall, 11th Martin and 13th Penn Hughes, all in Magnettes.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  09:56:02  Show Profile
WB's book, excellent though it is, is not much use for car identification - I don't think chassis numbers were recorded with the same degree of enthusiasm as they are now. He does list Dodson's car along with a list of thirteen 1087cc MG Magnettes, which confirms it as a K3... In any case I think the NE was only just being conceived at that point. Dodson's MG was the winner of the prize for 'best performance by an all British car'.

I can't find a picture of it in this race, though the K3 Memoir has pictures of it later in life - you do like a challenge, don't you? As your excellent model shows...

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  10:00:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Peter Seager-Thomas

The original information came from Motor Sport for June 1934, Peter.

That would have been my next suggestion! The VSCC has a library which may hold further info, if you are near enough...

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  10:18:46  Show Profile
Super looking model btw
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  10:40:54  Show Profile
Peter,

If you ask him nicely, Tony Hutchings who is the Archivist of both the Brooklands Society and The Brooklands Museum, might be ablo to let you have a copy of the programme for the 1934 International Trophy. His contact details can be obtained from the websites for both of these organisations.

In choosing Charlie Dodson you might just be about to unearth something of a mystery. Mike Hawke's "K3 Dossier" shows that Dodson drove K3022 in the 1934 Mannin Beg but does not show a car for him in the International Trophy. Jay Hall has done a lot of painstaking research into K3 activity and I have a feeling that he may have some doubts on the subject. If you are reading this Jay, what do you think ?

Colin B.

Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  17:14:42  Show Profile
There is a description of the race in Lyndon's book, 'Grand Prix', including a few pics. Works bodied Magnettes clearly seen are numbers 12,14,17,18 and 23. 28,15,(could be 16), 30 and 41 I can just about make out. Eystons number in humbug looks like 5 to me, and Black's car is 25. A second opinion would be welcome...

Number 12 is shown later after hitting the sand bank, perhaps Handley as he retired with 'transmission failure', while a Magnette no. 22 also appears on that page...take your pick!

Graham

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 01/10/2012 19:27:14
Go to Top of Page

Peter Seager-Thomas

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  17:52:25  Show Profile
One confirmed (?) car at least.

Reproduced with the kind permission of Motor Sport.

Clifton Penn Hughes, no.18.

One action I will take, one day, is to see if Motor Sport still have the vast photo archives referred to in the magazine archives.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  19:39:27  Show Profile
One of those to trouble the last marking barrel of the "S", was Ron Horton on 007:

This was I think, the one & only accident of his career. I may have an entry list for the event & will have a look the next time I'm up the road. As to the chassis number; There is stil I believe a bit of confusion as to who drove what with the Easton "team" cars from 34, however, the entry number for Dodson should be obtainable.
JH
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  20:49:12  Show Profile
The entry list for the 1934 International Trophy shows Dodson had race number 15.

Regards,
Cat

Edited by - Cathelijne on 01/10/2012 20:56:13
Go to Top of Page

Peter Seager-Thomas

United Kingdom
15 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  21:03:09  Show Profile
Thanks Cat, now I just have to decide where the numbers go. Other pictures should give a good idea.

Now of course I am more than interested in gleaning more information..

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  22:51:55  Show Profile
The cars shown in 'Grand Prix' have numbers as in the pic of no 18 above. Some also have a number on the rad honeycomb but no. 15 doesn't appear to...

I confused Black and Horton in my previous message, so no. 25 was Horton...

Graham

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000