Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 in Richard Edmonds auction
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2012 :  21:55:33  Show Profile
Theres a very nice swept winged j2 for restoration up for auction at richard edmonds auction at castle coomb, looks very original body and body work looks good. It will be nice to run it as it is instead of restoring it. It has a ford engine which is a shame. It says £6000 to £8000 but will probably make £10 000.

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2012 :  23:01:45  Show Profile
Looks to me like a P with J2 windscreen supports. Wonder where they got the J2 chassis number from?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2012 :  13:13:51  Show Profile
According to the register ALE 405 is J2516 which is what the catalogue says.

It should be a cycle winged car but this looks very P like, including the spare wheel carrier which implies a P chassis...

One for the Registrar perhaps?

Whatever it is I do like the registration number!

And might the tonneau be an original J half tonneau???

The web address is below.

Cheers

P

http://www.catalogue-host.co.uk/richardedmonds/2012-10-26/lot_1131?image=3&prev_page=browse%20by%20section%2c%20page%202%20of%203&prev_url=%2frichardedmonds%2f2012-10-26%2fcategory_2_page_2

Edited by - PeterL on 17/10/2012 13:18:15
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2012 :  13:35:41  Show Profile
So,
P Type chassis, front apron, bonnet fixings, doors & possibly Rad: The plot thickens.

Sat 27th is also the day that a round of the MGCC Speed Championship is being held at the circuit (anybody else entered?), so I'll go & have a look, but I don't think that it's all it seems.....

JH
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2012 :  16:27:22  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by PeterL

And might the tonneau be an original J half tonneau???

Now, now, you're just trying to get me excited, Peter! But no, I doubt if it is an original J half tonneau cover as the rear body on the P type from door top to the top of the wheel arch is very different to a J and I doubt if a J cover would fit. Not that the one on the picture seems to fit very well either of course! But if anyone is going to check it out it would be interesting to know if it is a J cover with the infamous flaps!

But it looks for sure to be a P type chassis as the picture taken side on clearly shows the longer chassis rails to support the spare wheel carrier.

Edit: and of course the tonneau lacks the cut out for the bracket for the spare wheel carrier on the J.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 17/10/2012 19:03:59
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2012 :  16:32:43  Show Profile
Yes All the body is p I didn't look that closely I assumed it was a j like it said. The screens j and the instruments look like j on a wooden dash. The back wings don't match is one j and one p?
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2012 :  18:59:27  Show Profile
The pics are quite high resolution & if you blow them up, the obviously 8in brakes look like T Type ones rather than J! Also from the rear, the O/S wheel is some way outside the wing; T axle? And yet the N/S one looks OK. Would it be possible to fit said T axle off centre?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2012 :  19:58:16  Show Profile
This cars' first known "modern appearance" was when advertised for sale by a dealer way back in Classic Cars (Jan 1991). It has been tracked through adverts since and is also known to "probably contain a lot of P Type", which suggests it may not have been examined close up. As Dave has pointed out, there may be more than P in there as well. Any prospective buyer should (as usual) take their rose tinted specs off, look at more than just the lot discription & any paperwork offered with the sale - before then & only then making their own mind up.

Caveat emptor (as they say), but right now I'm struggling to understand how & why it's wearing the identity of a J2......

JH

Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
467 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2012 :  21:12:27  Show Profile
The 1st MMM type car I went to look at was back in 2000/1ish - was being sold by Nicky Barron ( or such a name ) it was a ratty J2 with the reg ALE something, was a lovely wee car with rust in all the right places, if he had got it started I might have been allowed to buy it. Anyway - this J had the correct engine, frame etc

Number plate might have been swapped?.
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2012 :  21:26:50  Show Profile
Richard,

In the 1991 photo advert for this car, it looks pretty much as it does now, so I don't think there's been much change in the interim. Known/recorded ALE registrations on J Types are:

ALE 405 - needs further investigation (obviously)
ALE 456 - J3367 (which is recorded as for sale around the time you speak of & interestingly ran on pig manure gas during WWII!)
ALE 647 - more than 1 J Type
ALE 838 - more than 1 J Type
ALE 971 - J3320

It's never simple! Purely in the interests of historical research, i will pop along to the preview next Tursday afternoon, could this be a P Type with delusions of grandeur (he says with tongue in cheek)?

JH
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2012 :  23:21:54  Show Profile
Brian, must be a P chassis; look at the rear extension beneath the spare wheel & the mount of the spare itself. To me the only obvious J part is the screen; even the 8 inchish brakes look more like T items.
Jeremy's report will be interesting!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2012 :  17:36:58  Show Profile
The car is now advertised on the www.prewarcar.com web site. It certainly looks very sad and is clearly made up from various models!

I also look forward to seeing Jeremy's report on the car.

George
L2023 and NA0960
Nr Buckingham, UK

Edited by - George Eagle on 20/10/2012 17:38:27
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2012 :  22:53:03  Show Profile
I got a chance to look over this car today, courtesy of the auctioneer. It IS a J2, the bit of P-type at the rear end is just that, a bit of chassis tacked on to hold the spare wheel. I think its hanging on rather like a pair of specs! Body is quite good really, but needs tidying up. Bonnet bears number 2171, I think. There has been a repair to the offside front of the chassis, so my guess is that its a combination of J2 and P, with a few T bits thrown in (brakes, instruments) Front dumb iron bears the correct chassis number, J2516. Chassis is basis for a complete rebuild, if the price is right! Lots of P bits to pass on to help with costs, but of course you need an engine...

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2012 :  15:05:23  Show Profile
Having just spent a happy hour or so, I concur with Graham, the the chassis of J2516 is hiding under that lot, the body & Rad is PA (probably PA2171?). Basically a J2 Chassis & most of the running gear, then with a lot else thrown in to make up a car. It's also worth noting that there's a gearbox & J remote in there as well. Axles are also I think J Type, but with a Morris Diff. It has a Repro Guarantee Plate, which is blank, repro front shocks & lever arms on home-made brackets at the rear. Most of the lesser brackets & such-like are also home-made.

Still, it looks as if it could could made a runner quite cheaply & give plenty of fun (the steering box in particular will give an "interesting driving experience", but an awfull lot of bits will be needed to bring it back to anything like original spec.

Guide price is £6000-£8000.....

Oh, there's also a really rough, but ever so original Lagonda Saloon in the auction as well (but enough of that on this site).

JH

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2012 :  10:58:32  Show Profile
I note from the prewarcar.com web site the car was sold, it will be interesting to see what it sold for. If it sold at the estimated price it would have been a cheap way into Triple-M ownership!

George
L2023 and NA0960
Nr Buckingham.

Edited by - George Eagle on 28/10/2012 10:59:56
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2012 :  15:48:08  Show Profile
Word in the paddock during the lunch break was that it went for £8K.

JH
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000