Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 V5C and original registrations - update from DVLA
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2012 :  14:41:51  Show Profile
I have just had a very informative & knowledgable discussion with a lady at the DVLA about the current state of my 3 MG's with regards to registration (V5C), the number and taxing of the vehicles ... this is my summary;
To obtain (period replacement) and or retain the original number registration, I must ask the MGCC for them to confirm everything using a V555 (sent to me by DVLA) form. The confirmation must justify why & how a registration applies to said vehicle. The MGCC representative sends all details, including photos, old log books etc etc off to DVLA so a new V5C can be issued back to me.
It appears this will be a time consuming effort from whoever it is at the MGCC, is it you John Innes? I appreciate you do Chassis files but is this further verification work you can, will or have done already?
Any car found not to have had a previous UK registration must also go through the same process using V555, MGCC then to DVLA Swansea to get a 'period reg'.
Please note I have also confirmed that the date an MOT certificate is NOT REQUIRED to tax a car older than 1960 is from the 18th November 2012. Apparently all Post Offices have/will be aware of this ... we'll see!

In summary the ownous to verify a cars registration to a chassis/engine etc is now with the clubs that keep the records; I hope we have considered the funding of this effort ... so if anyone can confirm things it may prove useful to us all, thank you

Chris Blood (D0407, D0430 & F0753)

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2012 :  16:16:42  Show Profile
This discussion raises a question in my mind. I own two Triple-M cars: a 1936 MG PB Airline Coupe and a 1935 MG PA 2-seater, neither of which have been in the UK in over 35 - 40 years and were never placed on the DVLA database. If ever I wish to sell either one to a UK or EU buyer, what would be required to re-import the cars and still retain their original registration numbers. Both cars are well documented in terms of the Club records.

Lew Palmer
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2012 :  17:18:37  Show Profile
Chris/Lew

The DVLA along time ago put the emphasis on recognised clubs providing the evidence for the recovery of registrations where owners failed to keep up to date in the 1980s.

The MGGC has a procedure for the recovery of registrations of vehicles and has done for ages.
Look on the MGCC website under Technical and there is a sub-directory about DVLA issues. Link should be http://www.mgcc.co.uk/technical-topmenu-37/dvla-queries.html

Basically you need to contact John Inness who will ask the Triple-M Register will to inspect the car and the evidence which links the registration to the car. The Register's report is then returned to John who will complete the documentation for the DVLA.

There will be some costs involved too.

George
Go to Top of Page

Jonathan Elliott

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2012 :  18:20:14  Show Profile
Chris,

Earlier this summer I recovered the original registration number for my PA, (which has been off the road since the late 60's/early 70's) with the help of Mike Worthington Williams, who writes a piece most months in the Automobile. He was very helpful and seems to have good relations with DVLA. The process was painless, quick and cost £35.00. If you would like any more information or help drop me an email.

Cheers

Jon
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2012 :  18:51:28  Show Profile
John Inness at MG HQ helped me with my J2, VD3234, in 2008. The car had been off the road since 1971 and not been transferred to the DVLA system.

It seemed to be a straight forward process, the car was well documented, chassis number clear, chassis file in existence and hey presto.

Forget what it cost. The club did charge as I recall, can't remember how much. I cannot remember whether DVLA charged, I don't think they did.

What I would like to know is whether I can register my pile of Stiles bits now or whether I have to wait till it all looks like a car. I have a clear chassis number and the chassis file, and I know the registration.

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2012 :  21:41:55  Show Profile
John Innes at the Club and Robin Hamblet at the Register helped me get my M Type registered a few months ago and the service I got from them was absolutely first class. The first thing you have to do is convince the Club, and specifically Robin, that you have a complete and genuine car i.e. a genuine chassis / number. Robin then confirms to John the age of the car and he sends off the relevant documentation to Swansea. You will need to provide John with a V55 form, photos of the completed car and if you want the original number documentary evidence of what this is. The DVLA list what this can be but it is essentialy an old log book, tax disc or MOT certificate - I don't think they will accept old photographs showing the registration number or garage receipts. The DVLA sent me a registration document within a couple of weeks. The only time I went near a local DVLA office was for them to photocopy and endorse any original documents and it was these copies that were sent off to Swansea. I had to pay a fee to the Club (reduced for members) but nothing to the DVLA. Once again Robin and John - thanks very much for your help.

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2012 :  23:10:46  Show Profile
Brilliant gents, all sounds like a process that works thank god.
I shall now be putting it all into practise. I hope this has cleared a few fuzzy heads out there too ... mine was, nothing new !

Chris Blood (D0407, D0430 & F0753)
Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 26/10/2012 :  11:32:11  Show Profile
Yes Chris, this works well unless you have no record of its original registration number. The MMM factory records do sometimes have this number even if sold via a main dealer such as UM or Jarvis. Without paper proof which ties a UK reg number to a particular chassis then the DVLA will not provide a new number until fully road worthy for inspection.
What happens after they close the regional offices which all have an inspection bay is a good question. At the moment if your car was exported in 1932 and never had a UK registration number, my experience within the last year is that they insist on an independant inspection. The MOT test is the way that the vehicle was entered into the DVLA system with in the case of the TA the identifiable chassis number in place of a reg number. If this system is diluted
then Club members providing this authentification service could be liable to prosecution should the car subsequently found to be a fake,especially if a valuable model. This has already happened in France with a Type 35 Bugatti!
If any lost K3s appear - Robin, treat the request with great caution if not at arms length!
Allan
Go to Top of Page

i.thomson

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2012 :  10:30:57  Show Profile
As far as inspection is concerned I would expect this to revert to the inspection facilities which are already in existence for "proving" that a car is what you claim it to be when putting it back on the road after it has been written off by an insurance company. I can confirm that this is a painless if inconvenient process.

Ian Thomson
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000