Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 Engine
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

denism

South Africa
8 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  15:40:13  Show Profile
Hi All,
I have J3435 which originally had engine number 2364AJ. This engine has been seperated from the car over years and is now with another collector in the north of our country. The engine I have now has number A39289.

The number of this engine just seems to be wrong (too long), can anyone throw some light on this for me.
Regards
Denis

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 02/11/2012 :  22:28:58  Show Profile
Hi Dennis,
five figure number indicates Morris Minor ....A = standard bore when it left the factory. If you look inside the water jacket plates the head stud bosses will be quite small as it would have had 5/16" studs rather than 3/8th on J types. Top face of block will have waterways to match AA head......all other working dimensions will be the same.
Yrs Foz
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 03/11/2012 :  14:04:02  Show Profile
If you look on the other side of the block and in the same position as you can see the foundry mark on this block then there may be a large diamond with Chromidium on it. Chromidium basically refers to a higher chrome content in the casting and were far less prone to corrosion in the water jacket area.

These were often used on some of the M type, Morris Minor D and possibly C. The cylinder head stud bosses which Foz refers to were larger than those of the non-chromidium blocks and so are good for boring out to the 3/8th head stud diameters

By way of a general comment when considering using Morris Monor blocks for M,D, or J applications, very early Morris Minor cars had the narrow bodied 6V dynamo and as such, the cutout scollop in the front of the block is insufficient to accommodate the standard MMM dynamo. The wall thickness on the block casting is too thin to grind out to make room. Occasionally, I have seen these blocks crop up at MMM autojumbles marked up 'bought as seen'

Regards

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 03/11/2012 14:12:27
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Green

South Africa
363 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2012 :  14:43:49  Show Profile
Hi denis,

I think you just have to re unite your car with its original block.

A simple question. Can someone let me know what significance the stamping , "G" in a circle , on the chassis rail, has ?

Thanks

Rod Green
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000