Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MOT Emancipation Meet
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

graham4233

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2012 :  16:46:59  Show Profile
If any of you Triple MMMers in the south fancy a run out in your pride and joy next Sunday, 18th Nov, it might be worth dropping into the Phoenix Inn at Hartley Whitney. The Vintage Minor Register is hosting a 'MOT Emancipation Meet' to celebrate the passing of the MOT requirement for pre 60's cars effective from the 18th Nov.
Regards, Graham.

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2012 :  09:16:49  Show Profile
I think it's worth mentioning that you can still have your pride and joy MOTed on a voluntary basis. A piece of paper like this may prove very useful should you be involved in an unfortunate incident. In addition, a continuous stream of certificates should demonstrate that you run a normally well- maintained vehicle.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2012 :  11:08:57  Show Profile
I was at a meeting where a well known underwriter of insurance.for classic cars stated he would not provide continuing cover unless the cars are inspected annually.

He stated there are numerous MOT test stations who understood classic cars and could continue to provide a test report.

George
L2023 and NA0960
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2012 :  11:13:30  Show Profile
Hi George

It may be a good idea to establish the precise views from the insurance providers out there and publish it here. Just so there is a good overview of exactly what cover is effected or otherwise.

Regards

Robin

J2 J3666 & J3 3764
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2012 :  17:03:32  Show Profile
If my insurer requires a "voluntary" MOT I will go to another company. Market forces will prevail.

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2012 :  10:40:07  Show Profile
I'm not sure that you will have much success, Jan. The market for classic car insurance is very small indeed, and I reckon that the few providers that exist will fairly rapidly all speak with the same voice. After all, you know it makes sense, as someone once said about something totally unconnected with car insurance.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2012 :  12:33:26  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by talbot

If my insurer requires a "voluntary" MOT I will go to another company. Market forces will prevail.

Jan T

Whatever test is required, it surely can't be an MOT because (I assume) there will no longer be exceptions for things like old car lighting, absence of speedo, windscreen washers, seat belts etc.

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2012 :  12:45:51  Show Profile
Since the test station has to link to DVLA before a test can start does the new system (post 18 Nov) allow this? If not how do you get a piece of paper saying the car has passed to the pre 18 Nov requirements?

Gordon
PB 0331, MG4473
Derby
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2012 :  12:54:17  Show Profile
I wrote to my insurer as follows:

The day is approaching when I will be able to drive my old cars legally without an MOT certificate.

What is your view on the wisdom of this?

Will you be asking owners to have their cars independently checked or impose any other special requirement?

What will be the impact upon premiums of this change in the law?

They replied yesterday as follows:

In relation to the new MOT law that commences 18/11/12, we can confirm that your insurance with Footman James will remain unaffected if the vehicles are regularly maintained and road legal. You may still apply for an MOT test but this is voluntary.

I can also confirm that if the government does not require you to apply for an MOT test, your insurance will not require one either.

We are still awaiting further information on how this new law will affect the agreed values of the vehicles we currently insure so I cannot comment on this factor at the moment.

Please see the following website if you require further information:

http://the-ace.org.uk/mot-for-pre-1960-vehicles-to-be-scr@pped

The important bit in this reference is below.

Cheers

P:

Voluntary MoT test
Owners or insurers could opt for voluntary testing in the absence of statutory tests.#8232;The previous DfT advice has been that vehicles could not enjoy a statutory test if they were exempt from statutory testing.#8232;Any voluntary testing would have to have its own non-statutory certificate and this would not be recorded in the MoT database.#8232;There are at present no plans to develop any non-statutory solutions in VOSA.#8232;Currently the MoT computer system will allow any identifiable vehicle of a suitable test Class to be tested. Technically vehicles not on the system can also be tested and there is no plan to change this.#8232;If pre-1960 manufactured vehicles are exempted from the MoT test, they will be taken out of VOSA’s Inspection Manuals.#8232;This will make it difficult for owners of these vehicles expecting to find a voluntary MoT service, because of a lack of relevant information.#8232;VOSA has not planned for any pre-1960 manufactured vehicle test information to be issued formally.
Insurance premium
Anecdotal evidence suggests that the insurance premiums for vehicles manufactured between 1945 and 1959 may rise if they are exempted from the MoT test.#8232;There is no indication that the insurance premiums would increase for vehicles manufactured prior to 1945.#8232;As this evidence is anecdotal we have not included this in our cost calculations.#8232;We would, nonetheless, seek views from the insurance industry in our consultation.
In the long run, how successful the measure is will probably be in the hands of the Insurance industry and what they make of it.#8232;If they decide that the risk is low and proportionate, they will swallow that risk and not hike premiums by a great degree, or apply other restrictions on use.#8232;If they decide that an inspection once a year by ‘Old Fred’ who runs Pichfork Village Motors is acceptable evidence of roadworthiness there won’t be a more expensive ‘Insurance approved’ scheme for proving such.#8232;If they decide that, should a pre 1960 vehicle be involved in a accident which was caused by something that ‘could’ have been picked up by an MOT or an annual inspection, will not have it’s insurance revoked, there would not be ramifications.
At this point, the industry has not commented to any degree on the changes or any effects they may have on policies and premiums.

Go to Top of Page

Pat B

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2012 :  13:41:43  Show Profile
"We are still awaiting further information on how this new law will affect the agreed values of the vehicles we currently insure so I cannot comment on this factor at the moment."

Where did the connection between MOT's & agreed values come from ??

Pat
(currently Triple-M'less)
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6128 Posts

Posted - 15/11/2012 :  16:16:43  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by MaGic_GVWhatever test is required, it surely can't be an MOT because (I assume) there will no longer be exceptions for things like old car lighting, absence of speedo, windscreen washers, seat belts etc.

The absence of a requirement for a test certificate has no effect on the Construction and Use regs and the Vehicle Lighting regs which set out various exemptions for cars of various ages. And similarly it is these regs that require a vehicle to be in compliance with certain standards, not the MOT test. All the test certificate does is confirm (or not!) that the vehicle complies with these regs at the date of testing.
Go to Top of Page

graham4233

United Kingdom
47 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2012 :  17:50:27  Show Profile
I dropped into the Phoenix pub for an hour at lunchtime yesterday and canvassed a few pre-60's car owners on whether their insurance provider had made any changes to their policies now that an MOT was no longer required. Not one had been contacted, although some owners had informed their insurers of the change. The general opinion was that, as the Road Traffic Act places the legal responsibility on the driver to ensure his vehicle is safe for public roads, this may obviate the need for any unregulated safety certificate from a garage.
FYI there was a TA, M, NA, OHC Minor and a Morris Series E amongst others present.
Regards Graham.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2012 :  20:39:20  Show Profile
I spoke to a couple of people at the Classic Car Show and got differing answers! One firm said there was no immediate plan to require tests whilst another well known firm are still discussing the matter.

I believe that ultimately insurers will ask for cars to be tested - I intend to have mine done. Luckily my Mot man is very knowledgeable and has confirmed he would be able to provide a report.

George
L2023 and NA0960.
Go to Top of Page

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2012 :  07:35:43  Show Profile
George,
when you have your car "yearly inspected" what will the garage give you as conformation the car has been inspected and tested?
I imagine the items tested will have to be writen down on Garage headed note paper, and would state the date of the test and signature of the engineer, but to what standard are the item to be tested ? Will the engineer know that different makes and models of pre 1960s cars have very different operating tolerances and effiencies?
I assume that there will not be any "standard" to a pre 1960 yearly test & inspection, just the opinion of the engineer, which may not be accepted by another mechanical engineer.

Any pre 1960s car that's involved in an accident in an unroadworthy condition, will have at best their claim reduced, with or with out a pre 1960 test and inspection.

Regards
Keith

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2012 :  12:02:41  Show Profile
Keith

I expect those insurers who will require some form of test may come up with a form of words/document.

My cars are insured with Hagerty who were the firm who told me the Directors are discussing the matter.

I fully endorse with the point raised by Ian in his posting of 14th.

George
L2023 and NA0960
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6128 Posts

Posted - 20/11/2012 :  12:04:46  Show Profile
Y'all should move to Northern Ireland where there is still no decision to change the existing MOT requirements so we will still have our cars MoT'd each year for 35 quid.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000