Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 D-type Salonette pictures
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2013 :  21:57:21  Show Profile
Over the past few years in researching the history and make-up of the D-type salonette I have struggled to find many, if any, genuine photos of this car type. Does anyone have a few to share with me? In particular those showing the spare wheel location! I have a photo of my D0430 from 1964 showing the sparewheel to the rear ... but if the chassis of a J1 is the same length as a D chassis at 7'2" and they have the spare wheel to the side, surely a D-type could also?!
Your thoughts and experiences of either cars set up would be very helpful.

Chris Blood (D0407, D0430 & F0753)

JohnE

United Kingdom
373 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  13:39:05  Show Profile
Hi Chris, From what I can see between J0346 and D0430 which were built only a few months apart, the chassis and body was identical except for firewall mountings to cope with the offside carbs on the J, a change of steering box to mw (along with the mounting cross member), and cut away doors. I have seen an extra spare wheel mount on the side which may have replaced the rear mount on saloons to get the weight off the lid, and maybe there are some F1 photos which show how this mounted off the chassis allowing the bonnet to open. Always allowing for the extra F bonnet length, of course.

JohnE
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  16:18:31  Show Profile
Ah thanks for that John but I have plenty of references to the spare wheel mounting for the F's but I haven't seen a D or J ... as you say there should be same amount of space to allow the fitting of a spare wheel on the side of J but I can't find any example to prove it. I have the mechanism's and brackets etc but does it fit without compremising the door openings?

Go to Top of Page

Alan Bertram

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  17:46:42  Show Profile
Chris, this photo on flickr shows the J1 type Salonette owned by James Collier which I saw at at Brooklands last year. This has a side mounted spare wheel which appears OK. A chat with him might help, the car is also pictured in the MMM members cars section.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/42501330@N05/5785198051/

My Photo of his J1 was taken from the other side so doesn't show the spare!

Regards, Alan

PA 0397
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2013 :  13:37:53  Show Profile
It really does appear that there just isn't any proper D-type salonette photos out there based upon the lack of responses! Some must survive surely ?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000