Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Mystery K1
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 05/12/2012 :  22:49:20  Show Profile
Hello Again Groupies,

The grandson of the neato character in this red K1 has emailed me to see if the car might still be alive. I did not see it in the register listing, which isn't a good sign.

The back of the photo reads:Dr. Hugh Wray McCann, Ardristan House, Kilkeel Co Down, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom.

I totally dig that "Magnette" script on the honeycomb. The surrounding neighborhood is pretty kool, too.

tommm in ohiooo

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6134 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  08:47:34  Show Profile
Hiya tommm,

I've passed this query on to some of the guys in the vintage car world back home in Northern Ireland to see what they can come up with. It's hard to tell from the photo but is the reg number CZ 3932?
Go to Top of Page

Dan Shockey

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  17:19:37  Show Profile
Hi, Simon,
My PA was originally sold in Belfast. Any way to find out info (beyond what is in the chassis files) through your Irish friends?
Thanks,
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6134 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  17:32:37  Show Profile
Dan,

I'll drop you a line off line.
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 06/12/2012 :  19:40:54  Show Profile

Yo, Tommmmmmmm.

Firstly, thanks so much for posting the great photo of the K1 Tourer.

CZ 3932. K 0392 (coincidence?)
Engine. 595AKD.
Red/Red. Red upholstery.
Delivered 28/12/33. Not a bad Christmas present.
Sold; 1/1/34. To, H.Wray-McCann
Distributed by;
Victor Ltd. Donegall House. Donegall Square West. Belfast

There's no mention of it in any of the MMM Registers.

Questions Tom, how does the grandson know it was red? Does he posess any more photos of the car? There could be an "article" there.

Hello, Mr.Shockey, what was the original Irish registration number of your PA?

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6134 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  03:05:02  Show Profile
OK, the picture was taken in Greencastle Street in Kilkeel. The giveaway is the name of the garage - McAtee - which is a common name in Kilkeel apparently. That nice Mr. Google revealed that David McAtee ran a bus company and a photo of one of his buses outside the garage confirms the location. And as an aside the logo on the wall above the garage is that of the Cyclist Touring Club and made it easy to find the spot using Google Street View.

As for the grandson knowing it was red, the same picture features in a similar query on the web site of University Motor in Grand Rapids Michigan and apparently it was his mother who told him this.

Brian, not to be picky, but if a car was registered in Belfast in the 1930s it won't have an Irish registration. The Irish authorities and the Northern Irish authorities had (and still have) separate motor vehicle licensing systems.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 07/12/2012 03:39:30
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  10:09:49  Show Profile
Brilliant Simon,

From now on, you should be known as "Sherlock Johnston".

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 07/12/2012 10:11:16
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6134 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  10:41:58  Show Profile
Colin,

Finding McAtee's garage in Greencastle Street was easy; finding the K1 might be a little bit more difficult! But I have my sleuths at home working on the case!
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2012 :  11:01:41  Show Profile
"Seems to be a two-pipe problem, Watson"

John R
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2012 :  04:13:46  Show Profile
Two-pipe Simon,

Very good sleuething, mate. Love the modern comparison view.

Thanks for your input, too, Red/Red BK.

I heard more from the grandson with the good news/bad news. Grandfather was not injured, but the mighty K1 could not withstand the onslaught of a bridge abutment.

tommm on the rainy Lake Erie Beach
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6134 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2012 :  09:18:31  Show Profile
I have just heard back from the Driver and Vehicle Agency in Northern Ireland and they have no record of the car at all. As far as I can determine, when the vehicle licensing was centralised in the 1970s only the information relating to then currently registered vehicles was transferred to the new system. The original documentation that each County Council held in its Motor Tax Office was just dumped as far as I can tell. For sure when I bought my J2 in 1972 Fermanagh Motor Tax Office still had the original paperwork for the car, but all that remains now is a digital record of it in DVA>
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2012 :  10:53:16  Show Profile
All the County Council Offices were required to send their vehicle records to Swansea when things were centralised. This included all "full" & surrendered log-books. For a short while after, owners of cars could obtain all their previous log-books from Swansea free of charge (this was not well publicised at the time). Dad found this out by accident & got all those for J2396 shortly before Swansea decided to pulp the lot!

JH

Whoops - just checked the notes; You could get all your log-books from the Local Office before they were sent off to Swansea, not after. This is probably why according to the DVLA, DG has had one previous owner, who had it from new!

Edited by - JMH on 13/12/2012 11:06:40
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6134 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2012 :  15:36:16  Show Profile
mgtommm....

I've sent you an email via the forum system with further info about the family that owned the K1 which might be of interest to their grandson with whom you have been in touch. If you don't get my email let me know here.

Simon
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2012 :  19:10:20  Show Profile
If a photograph has "attitude" it must be this one.
That Magnette script is very jaunty.
What is it with monochrome pictures, in that the sun seems to dwarf the shadows? Far easier on the eye.

As for discarding paperwork. Certain Mr Allison saved "us" from that fate!
Nice work Simon. Bit flag up flag down in your backyard at the mo. Hope it sorts itself.
I like the way that little yellow Gogle man helps us snout about!

Edited by - spitfire on 13/12/2012 19:23:14
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000