Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Auction M Type
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 09/01/2013 :  22:04:13  Show Profile
Peter,
The aluminium covered wood panel that you have spotted is an original fitment although I have never seen one quite the shape that this one is. It covers the chassis rail up to to front of the rad and where standard wings are fitted it covers the valance returns that sit on the chassis rail. Your car has cycle wings without the valance and I am not sure how this would work on your car. If you can find photos of the 12/12 replica which was fitted with cycle wings without valances this might give you a clue.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  11:29:17  Show Profile
This (see picture below) seems to be the normal shape of the bonnet side valences.The pair at the top of the picture are almost certainly originals and came from a mid 1930 M-type.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  11:43:58  Show Profile
Sam - interesting, I can't quite see in the photo of the valance upturned, but there doesn't appear to be any 'recesses' to allow for the head of the bolt holding the rad in place or the two rivets that secure the cross member to the chassis rails. I had to create such recesses when I made my valances to get them to sit flush with the chassis rail. Is it just a trick of the light on the photo? Maybe it is clearer on the original? Or maybe I've got the wrong end of the stick when it comes to mounting the valances?

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  12:03:00  Show Profile
I agree Sam. I have a pair very similar from my car. The only difference is that the front edge returns to fit around the radiator mounting bracket. It is similarly very crude and I was not certain it was original. I am encouraged to think that it is on the evidence of yours.
Peter, I have looked at period pictures of the 12/12 and these do have this panel fitted.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  14:27:10  Show Profile
Hugh, are these the recesses ?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2013 :  15:00:43  Show Profile
Yep - those'll be the ones!! One slight aspect to note - the recesses as shown deal with the radiator mounting point but there is no recess that coincides with the rivet heads on the chassis. Keith sent me some photos of his original front wings the other day - they had holes in them to accommodate the rivet heads. I haven't equivalent holes in my new wings - I coped with them by thwacking a socket over the 'flat' part of the valance that sits on the chassis when sitting on the rivets to make a domed bit the rivet heads sit in. Maybe with holes in the wings, you don't need a recess...

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000