Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Fawn Wigan Hood Material
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

g waiting

United Kingdom
730 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2013 :  14:06:15  Show Profile
Hi
I have made several hoods using Twillfast as supplied by Woolies. In my opinion it looks identical to double duck, being slightly lighter weight is easier to handle and has the great advantage of not shrinking. The only disadvantage is that the inside weave is a differenr pattern to the outside and can even be specified in a different colour.

Re gards
Garry
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6176 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2013 :  14:29:32  Show Profile
Yes, some versions if the Twillfast have the dobby rubberised lining, but not all of them apparently, according to the Haarzt site. Some have a plain cotton lining which would be more suitable for our cars. And the Stayfast, with its square weave and cotton lining might be even better although the colour options seem to be more limited. Has anyone used either Twillfast without the dobby lining, or Stayfast?
Go to Top of Page

g waiting

United Kingdom
730 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2013 :  14:54:05  Show Profile
Simon,
By Dobby do you mean a grey headlining type cloth, the Twillfast I have used has always had a black inside but with an almost chequered appearance.
Garry
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6176 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2013 :  15:19:40  Show Profile
Garry,

You can see the dobby lining here http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/c-98-mohair.aspx
Go to Top of Page

g waiting

United Kingdom
730 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2013 :  17:50:04  Show Profile
Simon,
Thanks for the info. That is what I have used, but only in black,black.
Garry
Go to Top of Page

panderson

USA
38 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2013 :  18:58:35  Show Profile
I fitted my PA a decade ago with Stayfast for the hood and half tonneau. It has kept its shape well; its black colour has not faded; and it cleans easily with a stiff brush. I have been quite happy with it and what seems to be a vintage look at a reasonable cost.

Phil Anderson
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
965 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2013 :  19:00:10  Show Profile

Just to confirm Simon's earlier point about half tonneau material on TA/TB/TC. I still have the original (black rexine) half tonneau on my 1946 TC. I know it is original because the previous owner (The Reverend John Green) had the car from almost new in 1946. His parents bought the car for him in 1946 when he went to Cambridge Uni.

Terry Sanders mentioned the guy in the US who was doing research on T-Series hoods. His name is Tom Wilson twilson@indy.rr.com Tom owns three early TCs (TC0272, TC0272 and TC0279). There are not many people around who know as much about TC originality as Tom.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2013 :  20:08:56  Show Profile
I know this started as a TC enquiry, but just for interest here are a couple of pics of the half tonneau that I took off my PA in 1974. It seems to be a double duck-like material which has over time delaminated into two layers. There is a sort of rubberised feel to the material. Colour: black with red piping (my car, as I discovered too late after committing to blue, was originally red!)

Dick
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000