Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Rear Trunnion Tube Removal
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  02:47:02  Show Profile
I have purchased new Trunnion Tube replacement ends, but can't for the life of me figure out how to remove the old ones. I've drilled out and removed all rivets, but the support plates on either side of the chassis rail are still firmly in place along with the whole cross-tube. They won't budge despite hammering, twisting, and prying.

How is one supposed to remove the old tube? I've considered sawing between the chassis rail and the support plates, but am afraid of scarring the chassis.

Someone, help please!

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  10:18:52  Show Profile
Lew,

The replacement ends for the rear trunnion tube are meant to be fitted with the tube still in the chassis, the old ends are cut off and the new ones inserted into the tube and then welded, care has to be taken to make sure the spring slot is at the correct angle before welding.

The reason you are unable to remove the tube is that the inner flanges were brazed onto the tube before the chassis was assembled. When the chassis was originally made all the cross tubes had their internal flanges brazed on and the side rails were slipped over them, then the outside flanges were then riveted through the chassis and the internal flanges (they were not brazed).

I hope this explains why you are not able to remove the tube.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2006 :  14:50:39  Show Profile
I guess I should have asked before I removed the rivets. Thanks Peter, for your advice.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Bodger2

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2006 :  17:48:57  Show Profile
Could anyone tell me who can supply a replacement Rear Trunnion Tube? Peter Gregory has been recommended but I must have an old contact tel#/ address as he has not answered up. Its for a 1936 PB.
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2006 :  19:57:44  Show Profile
Try Andy King of MG spares and Restorations 01949 860519. He has recently bought all of Moss Pre War parts and recently sold some trunnion tubes on ebay.

Fred..
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2006 :  21:09:36  Show Profile
There are two ways of dealing with the rear trunnion carrier, one is as suggested by Peter Green, and the other which I believe Peter Gregory uses,is a complete fully machined rear cross tube. The latter would of course entail removing the dreaded brackets!

In answer to the enquiry by Bodger2 the contact number for Peter Gregory is 01844 279802.

Regards George Eagle.

Edited by - George Eagle on 21/11/2006 23:15:02
Go to Top of Page

Bodger2

United Kingdom
2 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2006 :  23:20:39  Show Profile
Thanks to you both; will get on the phone tomorrow. henry
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly