Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 1932 REAL Demon Midget Special
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

semisport

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  10:00:25  Show Profile
Does anyone know if any of these Midget based specials were built and if so where I might find some more information and particularly further images?
Chris

Chris

mgmog

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  10:08:23  Show Profile
http://www.sussexsportscars.co.uk/detail.php?stock_id=827
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  11:28:45  Show Profile
Hi Chris

Welcome to the Triple-M website.

As far as I know there is only one surviving REAL bodied J2 and this was in attendance at the Pre-war Prescott meeting last August.

I believe I am correct in saying the late Mike Hawke found the body, the story is I think chronicled in one of our Yearbooks.

As yu can see from the attached photos the car has been beautifully restored.

George
L2023 and NA0960

Edited by - George Eagle on 29/01/2013 11:36:31
Go to Top of Page

semisport

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  12:12:17  Show Profile
Hello George thanks for your welcome and also the chance to see your photo of the car. My primary interest is the pre-war Morris Minor. When I found this ad in the November 1932 edition of Motor Sport I did wonder if a Demon body had ever been sold and fitted to a Minor chassis. However if only two J2 Demons were built it's unlikely that a Minor was thus converted. Having said that REAL did body a Ford Eight in 1933, so who knows?
Chris

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  16:32:04  Show Profile
A lot of the work on this car was carried out by Colin Tieche. I have pictures of the car during this stage and the car was panelled by Steve Gilbert. I understand that the car was in a look up garage and the owner just managed to save it as it was being driven away on a lorry as the garage was cleared. Colin had the car for some time but then the owner decided to sell it and it went to Susses Sports cars...... Terry A
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
913 Posts

Posted - 29/01/2013 :  17:15:09  Show Profile
This body is in fact from J0515, on which it was sitting when liberated from the car park of the King's Arms in Kings Stanley by Dad & Peter Davis. There is no hard evidence that it was originally bodied by REAL, however it was fitted when found in 1967.

The car in George's pic is known to be a REAL bodied car (J2083) exhibited at the 1932 Olympia Show, with an almost identical body, but with head fairings. Somewhere along the way, it lost that body, but on restoration acquired this genuine one which had taken a Hawke/Bayne-Powell/Tieche route. Whilst stunning to look at, the body is "substantially built", so you can see why so few were sold, the extra weight meant that a std bodied car would easily show it a clean pair of heals.

The J0515 chassis went to Nigel Musselwhite, axles & other bits into the Hawke spares bin.

JH
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000