Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Octagon Heaven
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2013 :  19:22:31  Show Profile
Simon Johnston has been working on the Octagon Heaven articles. He has reworked the index so that it contains links to the relevant articles.
I have made this available on-line so that you can look up items of interest without downloading all the files. I have added a menu item under "Document downloads" creatively titled "Octagon Heaven"! Click on that and your browser will open Simon's new index file in .pdf format. If you then click on an article in which you are interested, the index will close and that article will appear in its place. You will have to use your "back" button to return to the index or the main site.
I am told that these articles are not totally correct, so you should use them with discretion.
It is probably not a good idea to try this on a phone as some of the article files are quite large and you could soon use up your data plan!
Many thanks to Simon for his hard work on this
Nick

Webmaster

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 04/02/2013 :  20:01:25  Show Profile
These articles, published originally by George Jarrard, were put together in the early 1980s. They were the only available detailed documentation on J types back then. Had it not been for George's work, I would have never been able to restore my J2.
But I agree with Nick. As the information came from every source George could find or talk to, some was accurate and some was open to question.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  04:01:21  Show Profile
By chance yesterday before Nick added this I noticed that a page was missing from one of the articles and I was able to rectify it and send the corrected article to Nick to replace the incorrect one. So if anyone does discover any errors like this let me know and I can replace the offending Article or if a link is incorrect I can do likewise. I have to confess I didn't test every single link as I went along!

And as Nick and Lew both advise, treat the articles with caution. It's a fantastic piece of work that George did but it reflects the times he did it in - no Internet, no Google, no email, no high resolution scanned photos and so on. But for all that there's some good stuff there so worth hunting through it.

Enjoy!

P.S. There was no Article 25 - J4 ENV Gearbox - so if anyone has that we can add it.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 05/02/2013 04:03:22
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2013 :  18:32:33  Show Profile
All links now tested and I found a few other errors so a revised index has been sent to Nick. Also Articles 269 (Instruction Manual) and 270 (Blower) are missing so if anyone can sent me these as well as Article 25 (J4 ENV gearbox) I can give them the correct file names for the index and pass them on to Nick.
Go to Top of Page

taterry

USA
107 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  03:36:49  Show Profile
I found a little blub on George Garrard in the Oct 1982 issue of Safety Fast ..Octagon Heaven was the name of his home which believe was here on the West Coast of the USA at the time...he later moved to Maine, probably to get as away from his ex-wife as possible! He was up to 100 pages at this time...Terry
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  05:43:55  Show Profile
There's a reference to where the name "Octagon Heaven" comes from in Article 200 - http://www.triple-mregister.org/OctagonHeaven/Articles/200.pdf

I wonder who he's making fun of in the joke!

Lew Palmer has been kind enough to send me the missing Articles 25 and 269 and I've sent these to Nick so they should be available pretty soon. But apparently 270 is a multiple page extract from Blower and as most of us probably have a copy anyway, I've suggested to Nick that we omit the reference to Article 270 in the Index rather than include such a big file.
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  10:02:07  Show Profile
I can get the pdf index but clicking on the title seems to do nothing. Have I misunderstood something?

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  10:10:18  Show Profile
David,

Are you scrolling down through the index to get to the various headings and links? When you first open it it is simply the first page. Scroll down and it looks like this.

Click on a blue link and this will take you to the relevant Article.
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  10:31:30  Show Profile
Yes Simon,
1 or two Left clicks gives me no change, the list of articles just stays there,
Thanks for your help

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  10:39:16  Show Profile
Hmm...strange. Maybe Nick can advise? I've tried it with WIn XP and Win 7 and both work just fine although I haven't tried with Mac OSX. You're not using an iPad are you? The blue links don't work on iOS for some reason
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  10:50:40  Show Profile
W7 professional 64 bit. Surely something stupid I am doing but can't think what. Latest Adobe. Maybe a setting in that ?

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  11:01:57  Show Profile
Very strange as I'm sitting at a Win 7 64 bit machine right now and everything just works. But the Articles open in a new browser window and not in my pdf viewing programme and perhaps this is the secret. Do you have your browser set to open pdf files in the browser and not launch Adobe Acrobat or Adobe Reader?
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
467 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  11:11:44  Show Profile
probably your adobe is 32 bit, are you running 64 bit explorer?, maybe download firefox and try again. or try a IE 32 bit version. or tey and run a 64bit reader.
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  11:39:11  Show Profile
Indeed Richard.
Simon, after a bit of googling, I followed the enclosed advice and can now get to the articles but only within an IE 32 bit version. 64 bit IE will not work.
Hope this helps others

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  12:31:25  Show Profile
David

By choice I use Firefox as my browser (it is free of charge) and it is in many ways superior (orf so they say!)

Octagon Heaven is easily viewable using this software.

Dick
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 06/02/2013 :  12:57:34  Show Profile
Thanks Dick. I am so used to IE I'll stay with it. Nice to see you have a qwerty key board with r and f very close together, or large mechanics fingers. No time to edit these days. Oh for the good old days !!

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000