Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Tuning the MG Midget
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2013 :  15:51:21  Show Profile
Simon Johnston has kindly sent me a scan of an article titled "Tuning the MG Midget" from the magazine "Modern Motor Repair".
The article is attributed to Cecil Kimber!

You can find the article in:-
"Document downloads - Technical - Miscellaneous"

Thank you Simon
Nick

Webmaster

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2013 :  17:42:30  Show Profile
Thanks Simon and Nick. I remember reading this some time ago and it does offer some interesting insights.

The engine that is being tuned appears to be a J. The practices and clearances mentioned seem a little different from what we have become accustomed to ...

I am sure that CK knew what he was talking about but could some of our experts comment on the following:

Rockers: 4 thou for both?
Head gasket sealant: In the absence of gold size, what do people generally use these days? Grease? Wellseal? Heldite?
Plug gaps: 18 thou? (Seems too close)
Points gap: 20 thou? (Seems too wide!)

Dick
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2013 :  18:15:27  Show Profile
The pictures also seem to confirm the absence of return springs on the choke levers!
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2013 :  18:28:48  Show Profile
Hi Dick
This article was re-printed and available from the library for many years with copies of all the "works photos " on the rear. It is probably still available. Yes it is a J2 engine.
I dont remember seeing a recomendation to set the rocker clearances at 4 thou the original advice for the J2 was 6 thou for inlet and exhaust. However if you can get away with 4 thou it may well improve performance marginally !
Gold size and grease is the old school recomendation but most people will use a modern sealant such as Wellseal today.
18 thou was the original recomendation for the early type of plugs but as you suggest the clearance used today for road use is normally 25 thou with modern plugs which have vastly improved.
Similar comment applies to points gap - original recomendation was 15 to 20 thou but most people probably set closer to the lower figure today.
Times move on but it is an interesting article written by the man himself.

TH
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2013 :  18:52:52  Show Profile
Thanks Terry, and indeed as regards points, dwell meters seem to be in vogue these days!

Dick
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2013 :  19:50:59  Show Profile
Many thanks indeed Simon & Nick.

Interesting after previous discussions on gearbox colour that in fig 7 the ali casing is quite definitely painted. I stick by my original comments that, A) Why would they carefully paint the steel parts of the box before assembly on a £200 car? Surely they would paint the completed lump? B) I doubt that they would have used an etch primer (were such things available then?), so the paint on the ali part would not have lasted long.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2013 :  22:05:11  Show Profile
And talking of painting alloy parts, the oil filler swan neck in fig 9 also looks to be painted.
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2013 :  22:46:01  Show Profile
Dave and Simon - correct on both counts.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2013 :  22:55:01  Show Profile
And the colour was ...?
Go to Top of Page

BobRichards RIP

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2013 :  17:00:05  Show Profile
Look out for Terry Holden's 1984 Yearbook Tuning Article reprinted (with updates) in the next Bulletin, due out soon(ish).
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 16/03/2013 :  20:35:44  Show Profile
Bob

I guess that it will be well read. We are always interested in reading articles, by those we trust, on tuning or rebuilding.

Peter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000