Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 1930s period racing photo help required...
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Oz34

United Kingdom
2524 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2013 :  19:08:15  Show Profile
Interesting the Squire Motors Racing Service Van behind. Squires, Of whom Jock was a director, used sliding trunnion springs; wonder if they got the idea from MG?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2013 :  19:28:59  Show Profile
Thank you Gordon & Dave.

Derby, Gordon? Me too!

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2013 :  10:18:42  Show Profile
Dave, Adrian Squire was employed in the Abingdon drawing office before leaving to build his own cars Fairly certain that he took the idea of the sliding trunnions with him.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 27/03/2013 10:19:27
Go to Top of Page

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2013 :  14:26:12  Show Profile

The above image has been reposted as a reminder to my initital quest!

I have just received two of the three-part 1957 Autosport article (annoyingly Parts 1 & 3!) entitled 'Racing with a 750cc MG' by Ian Nickols', and there are some quite lovely photos within the articles which also show Nickols' ex-Rex King-Clarke 'Monoposto' MG J4 Midget (J4007) in assorted situations.

Nickols sat astride the J4 at Brooklands in 1937...

Driving the MG at Donington...

Nickols (2) during the very same 1938 London Grand Prix meeting at Crystal Palace - apparently the only time he drove the 750cc at the London circuit, according to his article! - alongside Percy Maclure's Riley (9)...

If there is anything of note within the middle missing Part 2 of the article, I will be sure to post the details here.

Apart from finding some further images of the car in question, it was also nice to find a front image of the car, one of it racing at the same meeting as my original photo, and a couple that also show Nickols in the identical dark jacket/overalls and light/white helmet.

Many thanks for everyone's help and assistance to date. It just proves what a wealth of knowledge there is out there amongst the members. I will be in touch when my next original period photo arrives!

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2013 :  09:59:10  Show Profile
I have been advised that the last image (above) shows Nickols' MG & Maclure's Riley at the Stadium Dip corner of Crystal Palace, as you can just see the bottom of the New Zealand scoreboard top right.

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2013 :  10:26:44  Show Profile
Part 2 of the Autosport 3-part article 'Racing with a 750cc MG' by Ian Nickols' shows one further photo of Nickols' ex-Rex King-Clarke 'Monoposto' MG J4 Midget (J4007) during the very same 1938 London Grand Prix meeting at Crystal Palace...

JDoe

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2013 :  16:35:06  Show Profile
Came across this in "A dash between the tides" - sand racing at Saltburn

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page