Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 1930s period racing photo help required...
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 21/03/2013 :  18:01:39  Show Profile
Hi Mark,

Just to let you know that my email provider has now sorted the problem and I'm back in world wide circulation with whoever needs me!

Apologies for any inconvenience caused to yourself, and to you Nick.

Kind regards,

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2013 :  10:39:38  Show Profile
Another photograph of the same car (J4007) appears in Jeremy Wood's book "Speed on the Downs", (page 64) and shows previous owner Rex King-Clark leaving the line at Lewes Speed Trials in June 1936. King-Clark bought the car as a standard bodied J4 in 1935 and had the pretty single seat body made for the car by Harrington's Coach Builders in Hove, East Sussex. He competed with the car at Brooklands, Lewes and elsewhere until 1937 when he sold the car to Ian Nichols. I understand that there are several mentions of his exploits with the car in his autobiography "Free for a Blast".
I also see that King-Clark was a noted soldier (MBE, MC etc) and was Second-in-Command of The Manchester Regiment in Berlin in the mid-fifties. Co-incidentally, I was also in Berlin at the same time as a Miitary policeman but being just a humble Lance Corporal, I didn't get the chance to chat to very many Lieutenant Colonels. I did meet quite a few of the soldiers serving with him in The Manchester Regiment however, who I must say, did not seem to be very well behaved.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 22/03/2013 :  13:23:26  Show Profile
Colin, you beat me to it. I scanned this photo last night. However you provided more info than I could.
Graham

Go to Top of Page

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 23/03/2013 :  13:10:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Butchers

Another photograph of the same car (J4007) appears in Jeremy Wood's book "Speed on the Downs", (page 64) and shows previous owner Rex King-Clark leaving the line at Lewes Speed Trials in June 1936. King-Clark bought the car as a standard bodied J4 in 1935 and had the pretty single seat body made for the car by Harrington's Coach Builders in Hove, East Sussex. He competed with the car at Brooklands, Lewes and elsewhere until 1937 when he sold the car to Ian Nichols. I understand that there are several mentions of his exploits with the car in his autobiography "Free for a Blast".
I also see that King-Clark was a noted soldier (MBE, MC etc) and was Second-in-Command of The Manchester Regiment in Berlin in the mid-fifties. Co-incidentally, I was also in Berlin at the same time as a Miitary policeman but being just a humble Lance Corporal, I didn't get the chance to chat to very many Lieutenant Colonels. I did meet quite a few of the soldiers serving with him in The Manchester Regiment however, who I must say, did not seem to be very well behaved.

Colin B.

That is some stunning detail you have given me there Colin - many many thanks.

Thank you also to yourself Graham for showing me the only other photo that I've seen of this particular J4, and it clearly is the same car shown in my photo.

I'd still like to see some more photos of J4007, or hear more about it's exploits in Nickols hands if anybody has anything they can share with me.

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2013 :  15:23:37  Show Profile
David You may be interested to know that Ian Nickols wrote a 3 part article in the issues of Autosport dated March 15,22 & 29 1957 called "Racing with a 750 cc MG" in which he describes the car and races both with the J4 & R type engines. There are also some interesting photos accompanying this article.

Bob

Go to Top of Page

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2013 :  16:28:29  Show Profile
Thank you for that Bob, and it certainly sounds like I need to find copies of those three issues, as well as several other magazines. Many thanks!

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2013 :  19:34:49  Show Profile
I should have copies in our loft but can't make any promises. I will do my best to have a look tomorrow.

Maurice Blakey.
Go to Top of Page

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2013 :  21:29:22  Show Profile
Many thanks for your kind offer Maurice, but I managed to buy all three issues for a reasonable amount on a certain well known auction website earlier today - cheers all the same!

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2013 :  16:22:13  Show Profile

Herewith(I hope) the J4 when owned by Rex King Clarke, from his book "Free for a Blast" p22

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2013 :  11:30:35  Show Profile
That is equally appreciated Mike - many thanks.

So from those two photos we can see what Rex King-Clarke's MG J4 Midget (Reg BRF 107) looked like between 1933 and December 1935 (in the bottom photo), before it was converted to the single seater 'Monoposto' that is shown in May 1936 (in the top photo) - the latter which is the same car that is shown in my photo in the first post.

Thank you again for that. It was also nice to learn about King-Clarke's success at Shelsley Walsh as well - 45.8secs on 6 June 1936.

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2013 :  11:35:48  Show Profile
I am now waiting for my three issues of Autosport to arrive (March 15, 22 & 29 1957) to read Ian Nickols' three-part article.

In the meantime does anybody know what sort of price 'Free for a Blast' fetches these days, OR have you already shown us the only photos of King-Clarke's 'Monoposto' J4 in the post above Mike? If so, it might not be worth me trying to find one.

Edited by - Cowley on 26/03/2013 11:36:42
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2013 :  11:49:20  Show Profile
Abe Books have copies of 'Free for a blast' at £4 to £18. 4 copies
Graham
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2013 :  12:41:10  Show Profile
David,

I can thoroughly recommend King-Clark's book. It is a great read if you enjoy cars and aeroplanes and life in the 1930s. As well as the motoring side which is being discussed here, he writes enthusiastically about his flying times, especially with G-AERS, his Miles Whitney Straight (another MG related name!) monoplane.

Buy it - you will not be disappointed!
John R

Edited by - John Reid on 26/03/2013 12:42:11
Go to Top of Page

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2013 :  12:45:54  Show Profile
Many thanks chaps! Your enthusiasm John has convinced me to buy a copy, so I'll check out Abe Books now Graham.

Gordon

United Kingdom
691 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2013 :  16:52:10  Show Profile
Came across this photo of Jock Manby-Colegrave with his MG K3, prior to the 1933 TT (May 2009)

I took the photo from the Automobile gallery web page: http://www.theautomobile.co.uk/pages/galleries/gallery.php
Apologies if it is off message but thought it might be of interest

Gordon
PB 0331, MG4473
Derby
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000