Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Shere Hill Climb
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Martin Warner

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2013 :  12:39:41  Show Profile
Unbelievably the village school in Shere, Surrey have persuaded the local authorities to close a road in the North Downs to hold a hill climb event.

The event will take place on September 8th. Details can be found at: www.sherehillclimb.co.uk

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 25/03/2013 :  13:32:04  Show Profile
Looks a fun Jolly for a good cause.Prewar cars already entered.
Think I'll enter ( if Rachael lets me use her car a week before Loton Park ! )
Graham
PB0602
Go to Top of Page

Martin Warner

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2013 :  16:47:54  Show Profile
I am told that the entry list is filling up fast. They have been surprised by the interest. I don't think they realise what they have got away with by getting agreement from the local authorities. So if you are thinking about it...........
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2013 :  17:53:32  Show Profile
56 entries so far, according to my entry acknowledgement.
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Christopher Hobbs

United Kingdom
45 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2013 :  18:29:36  Show Profile
Our K1 also has an entry confirmed too - does sound fun and a more interesting hill than Kop Hill by the plan; I recall going past this crossroads when travelling to college in Guildford from Reigate in my '33 J2 - too many decades ago, but don't recall having to divert up this road! Christopher and Kate - 797

C.Hobbs
Go to Top of Page

Martin Warner

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2013 :  16:21:13  Show Profile
It looks like we have a very good entry of Triple-M cars already for this event. Thanks chaps. There is a very eclectic mix of entries so should be fun. It is the first time for the organisers so I imagine their will be some hiccups. This piece of road was closed for the Olympic cycle race but getting it closed for cars is a great principal to establish for the future.

Somebody complained to me that it would be a bit tame with road legal rules (60mph) applying and no organised timing allowed. However without official timing there is no categorical proof of how fast you are going!
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  10:32:57  Show Profile
Drove up the "hill" on Sunday on my way home from Brooklands. Thc proposed course is quite long - well over a mile - but no doubt the organisers will use only part of this, when you allow for a starting paddock and a run-off area at the end. Running from north to south the gradient is scarcely perceptible and the one or two bends are quite gentle. The road surface is tarmac of "country lane" quality which would present no problem for normal road cars but I would think it might be a bit bumpy for track cars with firm suspension and little spring travel, even at 60 mph maximum. All in all, similar to Kop -but without any of that venues illustrious history. Ideal for the posers, but in no way should this be described as a "hill-climb" and I think that it is a shade confusing to ilustrate the web-site with pictures of real competition cars. Shelsley Walsh, Prescott, Wiscombe Park or Gurston Down this aint.

Is it worth spending £50 to drive up a country lane at normal road speeds ? No, I don't think so, even for the kiddie winkies of Shere Primary School.

Colin B. (the new Mr Grumpy)
Go to Top of Page

george

United Kingdom
862 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2013 :  11:06:12  Show Profile
Sounds perfect for those of us whose metabolism is not fueled by 50% methanol/50% testosterone,but as the enty fee is steeper than the hill i'll stick to Kop hill[at 50% of the fee].Geoff

Edited by - george on 11/04/2013 11:06:43
Go to Top of Page

Martin Warner

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  08:30:48  Show Profile
Colin - Glad you took the trouble to go and have a look at the Shere Gentle Slope. No it is not Kop but it is a new event in an area were getting permission to do anything is extremely difficult. History has to start somewhere and I am sure the cads of independent means in the 1920s were also considered poseurs at the time. There are bound to be some teething troubles but it is a great principal to establish and then see where we can go with it. There is no confusion or misleading images on the web site. The only cars illustrated are cars that are entered for the event. As for the bends I know at least two people who have gone through the hedge there. One of whom used to own a J3.

There are quite a few overheads and a lot of unpaid effort involved even for an event such as this and Shere school is not the only beneficiary.

As you can tell you have slightly touched a nerve with me. I think the old adage of don't knock it until you have tried it applies here so I look forward to seeing you enter that little red buzz box of yours. Hopefully see you for a pint on the Kimber this weekend.

Martin

Edited by - Martin Warner on 12/04/2013 08:32:42
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  08:59:58  Show Profile
Makes a change for someone to touch a nerve with you Martin, normally the other way round!!!!!!!!!!

Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  09:53:14  Show Profile
Martin it was not me but I know who it was ! If it is that very same hill then it is a nice run with that sharp left hand bend in the middle. Always went that way to the Black Horse. Happy days eh ?

TH
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  15:55:27  Show Profile
I do remember helping right a car after a Black Horse evening on a narrow stretch of steep road. Is that Shere? I just knew it as the shortcut to Patrick Gardner's place.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Martin Warner

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 15/04/2013 :  08:49:03  Show Profile
Oliver - if you are talking about certain arrogant and incompetent engine builders then they need more than their nerves touched!! Very impressed with the way you went up Batcombe yesterday in the M-Type. I was in two minds about doing it in the KN but after the way you went up I just had to do it - great fun.
Go to Top of Page

Martin Warner

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2013 :  12:46:47  Show Profile
The entry list is nearly full. It looks like we have eleven Triple-M cars and a 18/100 Tigress entered amongst an extremely eclectic list so the support for an interesting day out looks pretty good. I know it is not competitive enough for some tastes. It will probably be a bit of a village Fete with cars but hopefully we can make it an enjoyable event without too many cock ups and see where we can go with it from there.
Go to Top of Page

DUNBAR

United Kingdom
3 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2013 :  15:54:51  Show Profile
Hi
I've registered here in order to pass on some information which might be of interest to anyone entered or thinking of entering the Shere Hill Climb. It's come from another forum, so I've just copied it word for word below. I personally have no involvement with that forum but have been looking into entering the Shere Hill Climb myself and found a few comments in various forums which concerned me. I hope this is helpful.
Thanks
Fi

"Anyone who has entered this event or is thinking of doing do needs to read this.

I have some information from a friend who has been researching the Shere Hillclimb event.

Firstly, Surrey County Council have no record of an application to close Staple Lane on September 8th. That must ring alarm bells, because without a road closure it's really nothing more than a Saturday drive along a narrow country road, so what exactly is the organiser going to be organising?

Secondly, the £50 entry cheques are supposed to be lodged with Shere Infants School (one of the beneficiaries) and not cashed until the event takes place. So if anyone has entered and had their cheque cashed, this should also ring alarm bells.

I am not going to speculate as to what this information means in terms of whether the event is genuine or not. My friend and I have some ideas but we'll be keeping them to ourselves for now.

I'd be pleased to see this event go ahead as advertised and for the charities to receive some money from it, but I personally have some doubts it will, so thought it best to pass on this information to those directly involved."
Go to Top of Page

Martin Warner

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2013 :  15:59:45  Show Profile
Hello Fi

I have passed you post to the organiser of the event and asked him to comment. As soon as I have a reply I will post it here. It would be interesting to know were you saw the original post so that I can pass on any relevant information to them as well.

Regards

Martin
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000