Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M Type Wheel Nut Threads
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 24/03/2006 :  15:43:17  Show Profile
I am presently working on my M Type Hubs. The wheel studs all appear to have been replaced at some time (rather crude peaning over at the rear). I don't have any original wheel nuts and despite having a bucket full of nuts collected over 30 years I can't find any that fit. I orinally thought they would be BSF and tried a die, by hand, but it didn't want to take. Can anyone please let me know what the thread should be. If it is BSF I think I will be slaving over my lathe for a full day.

Cheers

Jan T

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2006 :  13:24:08  Show Profile
Ref. original thread for wheel nuts - 3/8 BSF will do nicely.
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  23:26:10  Show Profile
I have recently made a new set for my 1931 M-type out of (the correct) 18mm hex brass bar I got from a smsll place in Birmingham (only 3/4 inch available here in OZ--looks too big!). The originals were either very fine sand cast or perhaps out of a die and were NEVER PLATED, just painted (no doubt an economy measure!). I had them powder coated, stays on better than paint!
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2006 :  23:27:39  Show Profile
Oh! I forgot to add, yes 3/8 BSF thread.
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  07:40:55  Show Profile
Hello bahnisch,

Thanks for the reply. Did you get the hexagonal brass by mail order ? If so do you remember the contact address ? I buy short lenghts and off cuts of brass from a local scrap dealer but it's rare to find any hex and if I do it will certainly be metric. There is a brass stockist where I live in Glasgow but they now only sell full lengths of metric bar stock. I think new nuts are about ú10 each and if you need twelve it's well worth turning some up yourself.

Cheers

JT
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  08:06:47  Show Profile
Talbot, No, a friend took me there whilst we were on hols. No idea of the address, I'm afraid. Probably only way to ask around, perhaps a MMM person may be able to help. The place had every size of non-ferrous material you could think of! The original nuts were 18mm but that could have been imperial then like 23/32 but I doubt it. Good luck.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  09:20:13  Show Profile
Jan

Is this any help? http://www.nogginend.com/

Peter
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  09:32:55  Show Profile
I have some original factory photos which indicate that the wheel nuts were plated.All my "nuts" (believed to be original) are plated !!!!!. Regards Rich
Go to Top of Page

rbm

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 06/04/2006 :  09:44:05  Show Profile
just a note, if you use brass wheel nuts the car cannot take part in any MSA/FIA speed events i.e. sprints, hillclimbs or races.

Richard
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  12:59:09  Show Profile
Rich, My car is 1931 (M2737-helmet wings, etc) and my guess is that more and more economies were resorted to to keep price down. My car has no stop lamp or rear vision mirror and never has had (no holes in windscreen frame or body, original Rexine still on scuttle). I think that the repro wheel nuts are plated which is one of the reasons I made my own.
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  13:04:11  Show Profile
Another item of interest, maybe not applicable to all M's (don't know) is that it only ever had a passenger's side side screen (or side curtain)- no holes/sockets on drivers side. Yet they fitted a Lucas New Alto horn in the apron-Kimber must have got them cheap!
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  14:44:50  Show Profile
As I understand it, it was the later metal bodied M types that had the lucas Alto fitted in the front valence. The earlier cars had the Lucas Sparton horn fitted under the bonnet
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 07/04/2006 :  19:46:31  Show Profile
The correct hexagon size for 3/8" BSF is .592-.600", MG presumeably used the 7/16" BSF hexagon for the wheel nuts which is.702-.710", 18mm is .708" which is very fortunate.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2006 :  10:12:19  Show Profile
M-type aprons seemed to differ earlier but I think that all 1931 onwards (from car 2703?), whether fabric or panelled, had four pairs of louvres and a Lucas New Alto horn in the centre. There are quite a number of photos that bear this out, as well as publicity material and even the 1931-on owner's manual. It would not seem logical to fit a different apron according to the body outer skin.
Go to Top of Page

mumfordj

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2006 :  14:06:38  Show Profile
Just a couple of points on M type wheel nuts, brass nuts are not up to the stresses caused by autotests etc and it has already been pointed out that they not allowed in the rules. They tend to strip. I got a nice set of stainless steel nuts from Andy King, actually they are 18mm AF but look the same although are quite expensive. Also, I have pulled out a front wheel stud autotesting even though they were welded on the back so the front studs are worth checking if you use your car in such ways.
James
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000