Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG L1
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

henderson

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2013 :  17:03:42  Show Profile
I am coming to the end of my L1 (4 seat) Restoration . Can someone shed some light on what seats are right for the Car.
Please see attach photos of the original front seats which have been with the car for over 40years.

However all the L1 front seat are bucket seats and in a way my seats are, but the top rolls back and are more square across the top .

As you know bucket seats are more Gothic type if you know what I mean.

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2013 :  20:31:54  Show Profile
Hi Colin

To me the seats do not look original to an MG, it looks as if the bases would be too wide to fit as they do not have the cut out for the transmission tunnel.

Also I believe the backs would be straight rather than what you describe as rolled back. Also the seats would need to be hinged to allow the rear seat passengers to gain entry. Finally I think you would end up sitting too high with those runners fitted.

George
L2023 andNA0960
Go to Top of Page

henderson

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2013 :  22:38:57  Show Profile
Thanks George

The seats do fit between the transmission tunnel and the passenger seat is hinged to allow passengers to gain entry to back, if you look at the photo I have a cut away hinge. Will double check the high .

However that`s the problem there do fit and look o`k ???

Colin

Go to Top of Page

Moth eaten

Australia
946 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2013 :  23:36:59  Show Profile
See attached. Both my seats have lost their original rails the 2 strips with holes are later, and the passengers has 2 hinges that look like they came off a Tiger Tank. I believe the buckets are original.
Dimensions are: Width 15" base length 19" height 23 3/4".

N.D.Willey

Edited by - Moth eaten on 30/03/2013 23:38:28
Go to Top of Page

henderson

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2013 :  00:07:07  Show Profile
Thanks for that, I see yours do have a slight cut out to go around the tunnel. Your bucket seats are more Gothic at the top.If any consolation I have a bit of wood worm instead moth eaton.
Colin
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
431 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2013 :  06:47:36  Show Profile
My L 1 seats look as those on moth eaten's pictures and only the pasenger one is tippable. I have had the car since 1965 so I am pretty certain they are as original.

All the best
Sven
Go to Top of Page

Moth eaten

Australia
946 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2013 :  06:56:23  Show Profile
Hi Colin
We call wood worm BORER in Australia. I am glad I helped with the images. Your seats certainly look old, you might be able to re shape them.? I used moth eaten as the carpets in my L1 are well dined on by those little flying invaders! I rather like patina, a contrast to over restored cars! A matter of choice of course!
Cheers
Nigel

N.D.Willey
Go to Top of Page

Moth eaten

Australia
946 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2013 :  07:17:06  Show Profile
I am not 100% sure about this method of fixing with bolts through the floor for the driver, you have to get underneath to release the nut! surely not correct? and the hinged passengers. Does anyone have the same method of securing their seats in an L1 ? Barry Walker said they had rails.

N.D.Willey
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2013 :  20:43:14  Show Profile
Hi Nigel

Your seats certainly look original to me although I have never had any experience of L1s.

If you have some flat bar you could drill and tap holes to match those on the seat securing hinges and then fix them to the underside of the floor boards - this would do away with the need for nuts.

George
L2023 and NA0960
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
431 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2013 :  21:16:59  Show Profile
Same type of mounting as shown in the pictures on my L tourer
Sven
Go to Top of Page

Moth eaten

Australia
946 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2013 :  22:39:59  Show Profile
Hi George
I was wrong my seats and their method of fixing is correct and as originally fitted. Everything about the 2 seats is old well patinated and obviously made by MG or their supplier. Its certainly bone shattering stuff, my only question is did they have a wooden base or thin sandwich of wood under ea originally, as bolting the metal base of ea seat pan straight onto the carpet looks strange. John Firth Smith who prev owned AGW666 sent me this info.The early bench seats in D,J.F2.L2 .PA,PB etc had flat bars with round pegs screwed to the back of the seat that fitted into flat bars screwed to the floorboards with a row of holes and
a number of wooden 1/2 x 1/2 bars screwed to the floorboards to stop the bases moveing forward very simple.
On the L1 the drivers seat (from memory) the adjustment is by moving the bolts in the slots in the seat bases or floorboards.
Kind regards
Nigel

N.D.Willey

Edited by - Moth eaten on 31/03/2013 22:40:54
Go to Top of Page

henderson

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2013 :  22:46:04  Show Profile
Thanks Nigal for the pictures,great help

If you look at the 2nd picture from the top , I do have the same hinges as yours passenger side. I am happy to use the runners as shown in 2nd picture.
I must say if you look at Malcolm Green book Volume Two, the seat do show on page 43 Gothic at the top.

I wonder if my seats are from a Morris of that year ? .
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  10:31:30  Show Profile
And here are another style, apparently J4 but similar to the ones in Tim Edwards' salonette.

Cheers

P

Go to Top of Page

henderson

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2013 :  13:31:02  Show Profile
Thanks Peter.

Looking at yours and Nigel seats, both are the similar shape and as George said I should have a bit of a cut out for the transmission tunnel.
However they do fit in the car, but I have to say Nigel seats do look good and comfortable.

May be it`s down to new set of seats like Peter`s and Nigel.

May I say thanks to you all for your pictures and help. Maybe I should get both set`s made up and change them over ,that would be a good talking point at a meet ?

Colin
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  00:15:59  Show Profile
Colin,

I am no L1 expert but could L1's have been fitted with more than one type of front seat? The picture below was taken in the early 1970's and the front seats look the same as yours.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2013 :  03:16:57  Show Profile
Peter,

That L1 in your posted photo is the car previously owned by Nick Sands and pictured in River Fletcher's book. It was purchased by Bob Figenskau in the early 1980's (my best man at my wedding). It was sold to a purchaser in Germany but has been seen on this website as being for sale again a couple of years ago. It sure brings back some memories of running around Grand Rapids, Michigan in 1994 when attending a John Twist Summer Party.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000