Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Live - 2013
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  19:59:24  Show Profile
Many thanks to all those who supported this year's Silverstone meeting. It was great to meet many Triple-M friends from home and overseas at the Register's stall and around the site. Undoubtedly the human factor is what it's all about, although there was much car interest as well, including at today's sprint on the Stowe circuit, where a goodly number of 4-cylinder MMM cars (Ms, Js, Cs and Ps) were in contention.

Sympathies to Frank Ashley. At a critical moment his M-type's half shaft decided that it had had enough and that ruled him out.

I have a request!
I would like to feed back to the Club people's impressions of the event. So if you would like to express views about any aspect: social, competition, the trade village etc etc, now is the time, so please add your comments below.

But please keep it clean though!

Thanks!
Dick Morbey
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  20:19:36  Show Profile
For me, it just doesn't have the same 'atmosphere' any longer.

Loved it through the late sixties to early 2000's and it's been downhill from there as far as I am concerned.

Sadly, I think it will be hellishly difficult to recover from where we are now.

Stop spending money on circus acts and use the saving to provide an incentive to get more proper MGs circulating on a suitable length circuit.

Last one to leave turn off the lights.

Victor.

PS Glad the sprint is back. Will do that again. Part of the reason it's good is that its well away from everything else.

Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  20:40:30  Show Profile
I wasn't there this year my dad was thou. I don't think it's the same anymore. I think the racing is boring the track is too big for our cars. There is not enough of our cars in the concours. I think there are too many modern mg's most of the people are there for them. Us mmm ers are now a tiny tiny part of it.
I think the club should have classic mg event all mg's up to mg A maybe mg B and have it at a circuit like Mallory park or maybe a hill climb at Prescott. Mallory park the racings great you watch the cars race all the way round track. At silver stone they go past 10mins later they go past again. I think the event needs to be 3 days for the people over seas who come a long way. Sorry if I've offended anyone at the club you all do a great job.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  21:30:20  Show Profile
As Dick has observed the best part is meeting so many members, but the general impression of many I spoke to is that there is a lack of atmosphere. A lot of our members appear to have given the event a miss this year.

Saturday was declared a wet day which meant no parking on the grass with the result that the register parking was disrupted. We had only a very small area which could accommodate about 20 cars at most. Our allotted space was fully taken up by 10.30. A few more managed to bring their cars over later in the day. However, the number of Triple-M cars driven to the meeting was well down on previous years.

Today there were even fewer Triple -M cars, and the concours POO appeared to have only two of our cars entered, one being George and Marguerite Morgan with their lovely ex Bob Hudson C type.

Our library takings held up well on Saturday but I feel today was much quieter than previously.

From a Triple-M aspect the best part by far was the sprint.

George
L 2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 16/06/2013 21:35:14
Go to Top of Page

Jamie Dowley

United Kingdom
94 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  21:45:58  Show Profile
I would echo the earlier comments, and add that from a trading viewpoint it was noticeably quieter than previous years, and does seem to be on a downward spiral. Compared to Stoneleigh which has gone the other way in the last few years. A lot less overseas visitors I thought, less Dutch, American and no Japanese. Still nice to meet some new people from South Africa and Australia who are embarking on new restorations.
As our pitch overlooked the main arena I did quite enjoy Russ Swift the first couple of times, although by the 6th appearance it was starting to grate, I was hoping for him to crunch into one of his MGs, he was too good though!
Jamie

Sports & Vintage Motors

Edited by - Jamie Dowley on 16/06/2013 21:53:55
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  21:54:44  Show Profile
It could be people are getting older my dad hasn't the enthusiasm as he used too.
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  21:56:23  Show Profile
After a slow start the sprint was as usual great fun. Especially the ridiculously slippy 2nd run in the wet!

Times: http://www.tsl-timing.com/sprint/2013/132482.pdf

Didn't get across to the main site, but at one point we were distracted by a noisy airplane doing doughnuts in the sky.

Mark Dolton

Edited by - Dolts on 16/06/2013 22:08:34
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  22:49:24  Show Profile
An extremely poor event in my opinion and the opinion expressed by many on the day from both here in the UK and overseas. What on earth do overseas MMM enthusiasts manage to find to do for 3 days.

No general visiting public to be seen , stall areas almost empty, tents sparsely filled, no MMM racing, just a small handful of MMM cars, family areas completely empty and no atmosphere generally. I did not even hear a public address system saying what was going on, possibly because there was little to publicise.

It seems hardly surprising why the majority of MMM'ers with cars on the road cannot find the added enthusiast to attend with a MMM car when it is clear that the MG Car Club do not seem interested in proper MGs anymore

Donnington next year for MMM and T types maybe?

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 16/06/2013 22:58:25
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  22:57:21  Show Profile
I agree with richard but I don't like donnington I think it's needs to be a small race track like Mallory. It would be really fun just all mg's pre 1955 what does every one else think?
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  23:02:59  Show Profile
I'd rather it be 2 days but I know a lot of overseas people have been complaining about it not being 3
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2013 :  23:15:40  Show Profile
I couldn't attend because Mrs C had a knee op yesterday and I was confined to quarters for 24 hours to monitor the patient. However this was commuted today to the garage with a phone and 1/2 hourly checking, so I was able to give the car a thorough going over in the sunshine, so a good day after all!

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  00:06:18  Show Profile
I agree with all the comments above particularly the lack of atmosphere, small parking area, great to see and chat with so many people etc. I arrived at 8-30 on Saturday morning and left at
2-30 - says it all really !

TH
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  09:35:28  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kimber

Stop spending money on circus acts and use the saving to provide an incentive to get more proper MGs circulating on a suitable length circuit.

Couldn't agree more, Andrew...

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  11:23:44  Show Profile
I agree with many of the comments above, lack of atmosphere, no effective plans for register parking, falling number of traders (and visitors?), too many resources used for unrelated activities, etc etc

However the Triple-M register is a tiny part of the MGCC and the main club seek to address the interests of the many. How well they do that I will leave for the ‘many’ to decided. For me MG Live is just not compatible with my interests. I am seriously considering giving it a miss in future years. The only thing I would miss is meeting people who I will probably not meet at any other event.

However, as Jamie comments above, Stoneleigh is becoming the place to meet Triple-M members. Perhaps we should try to encourage members to meet there rather than Silverstone?

Peter
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  11:24:11  Show Profile
Totally in agreement with Kimber's comments.
John R
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000