Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Live - 2013
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  13:13:10  Show Profile
Please , please be there next year - everyone . We are already working on entries for the MMM race for 2014 and already have a large list of names . Obviously nobody can guarantee that they willenter , as without a date ( and that , I am sure , depends on Bernie Ecclestone ) nobody can 'firm up' a calender , but things are looking promising . Hopefully MGCC will realise that they made a mistake for 2013 and will be a little more accomodating to MMM in future . If not , we will just have to ask VSCC if they can slot an MMM race into one of their meetings - they did this for Morgans and Fraser-Nashs at Cadwell Park earlier this month , so it is possible . Lets have some positive vibes for 2014 .
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  14:04:10  Show Profile
Didn't go this year, put off by my last visit, but the event sounds to have reached the point of no return for MMM enthusiasts. Went to the VMCC 'Banbury Run' at Gaydon instead, a much more vibrant affair.

Better to seek a new race event - new always attracts and would not have the poor reputation which Silverstone now has.

A Register presence at Stoneleigh in the shape of a stand would be good - yes, I know, it is practically in the 'North', heaven forbid - since that event works well at present.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  14:18:30  Show Profile
Stoneliegh is good but there's no cars and its in the winter.
Peter greens event is really good, what we need is Somthing like that at a small race track along with the t types and the early vintage mg's.
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
467 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  15:06:06  Show Profile
Stoneleigh will only be good for train spotting next year, HS2 is due to go through it.
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1044 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  16:31:10  Show Profile
Can an other date be an option?
In july or august perhaps?
Then we won't be dependant on Bernie.

And though some UK members won't be able to come it might make it easier for members from the continet since it fals in the holiday periode.

Otherwise go to an other track the name Silverstone is not worth the destruction of the event

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Bob Prichard

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  20:08:53  Show Profile
I agree with all the comments made. The event has been steadily going downhill and I will not be there next year.

Lets have a new venue for MMM and pre 55?
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  21:17:46  Show Profile
I too agree with nearly all that has been said about Silverstone this last week-end. It was nice to meet up with Triple-M friends that, in many cases , we only see once a year but that I think is the only good point I can make : but well done to all who entered the sprint on Sunday which was a much more enjoyable day than Saturday in the main.
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  21:20:24  Show Profile
Have to agree with everyone. Will put my trust in Fred B and my support,for next year, somewhere.
Did anyone actually enjoy the 2 days, excluding the Sprint as that is always good.

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  21:55:38  Show Profile
First & foremost, we in the MMM Register are part of the MGCC, though I stand to be corrected, I don't think we can just run off & organise events off our own back, also I just don't think we're big enough to go it alone, there just aren't the numbers out there willing to compete. A race yes, but a whole meeting?

We are in danger here of looking like the kid who ran off with his own football - you can't play on your own!

How many of us actually entered something, volunteered to marshall, or put something back in to the event?

California Cup - 4
Sprint - 9
Auto solo - 0?
Concours/Pride of Ownership - 2?
Glow-stick (perhaps not......)

What were we all doing? Whilst I accept that not all want to compete in their cars, every MMM car (bar the 11 competing) there could have done the concours/poo - it was even free to enter for goodness sake!

That said, I don't think it's good for the club long-term to have all these non-M.G. races, as personally I have little interest in watching German & Italian exotica from such a distance that you can hardly see them. Squinting through the rain at single plane pulling loop-the-loops doesn't fire my imagination either. If it's going to be billed as "the biggest M.G. event in the world" then it really should be all about M.G.s!

If we really do need all the "paying" championships to make the event viable, then perhaps it is time that alternative venuse/formats should be looked at - nothing lasts forever, but remember, we are part of the MGCC.....

JH
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  22:53:58  Show Profile
I think together with the t types we are, plus we could invite Wolsley hornets and Morris minor ohc which are similar to mmm. They can support us. A Hillclimb could work better
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2013 :  23:05:38  Show Profile
The sprint was good fun enlivened by the weather! Talking to people was enjoyable(mostly!) good to see friends from foreign parts and our former colonies. My eyesight just about recovered from an "orange-out"! Glad the guys who supply us with parts had stands or waggons with goodies....as for the rest it seemed rather sad compared to years past. Annoying gnats buzzing about in the sky and non MG races do not have a place at "the Biggest MG event".....nor does an circuit that puts the club member in the stands looking at tarmac sans voitures.....a circuit that seems to provide other marques with races and an ego trip for some individuals. Get back to MG Car Club races on the club track...10/11 races a day...smaller grids to get as many different ages of MG out there in appropriate groups....and those that can - do more than one race and get the same track time...and 4 times the viewing spectacle for those watching. Make buying an entry ticket an entry to POO/concours so anyone parking in 'register carparks' gets judged!
Write or email to our club President or anyone else who may influence changes....look out for next year as there will be a big push to get as many Triple-Ms on track as we can...watch out for Fred B's messages. There may be light ahead from the efforts of people who are determined to remove obstacles from our full participation at MG SILVERSTONE 2014.
Foz feeling a bit Ratty!
PS can anyone explain exactly what "MG Live" means?
PPS many thanks to Northwest Centre for running the sprint.
PPS our scrutineers tickets told us we were at the SIVERSTONE SPRINT...assume thats another satnav error?
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2013 :  06:10:24  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Foz

PS can anyone explain exactly what "MG Live" means?

It's an anagram of 'vile'
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2013 :  10:25:18  Show Profile
I went to the MGCC Silverstone event (I refuse to refer to it as 'MG Live' - stupid name!) for the first time in 4 years. I only went because I was given a free ticket - I would not spend my own money helping to subsidise MMM (Morgans, Maseratis & Mercedes) racing.

No doubt the 'spin' will herald it as the best ever event yet, but the evidence is there for all to see that it is in decline. It is surely saddled with astronomical circuit hire costs which the average punter (a silent majority who are not interested in racing, particularly non-MG racing?) has to help bear in the price of his or her ticket.

Just as Clubs need members, but members do not necessarily need Clubs, the Silverstone event needs attendees, but once (or more!) bitten, twice shy, they are voting with their feet in ever increasing numbers.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2013 :  13:52:59  Show Profile
The MGCC can 'spin' all it likes John but every government loses office by not waking up and listening to its supporters.

I currently offer the MGCC Board a vote of no confidence if they think Silverstone was a roaring success. There was very little 'Live' about it but lets see what Safety Fast has to say. The general quality on content of Safety Fast is however a separate issue!
It is appreciated that the event should not centre around MMM cars as everyone has different MG interested.

In our family we also have a T type and a 1967 BGT and as my brother commented at the weekend, there was no obvious theme or focal point with everything spread out in a random manner and there was no excitement factor about anything. Wherever the event is held next year, it needs good events management and good forward planning. The venue cannot take the full blame for a poor show.

There is too much aimless wandering from one part of the ground to another with nothing of interest in between in the hope of meeting more like minded friends. The interest groups should in my opinion be better grouped, trade stand sectors grouped and a public address system telling people what is going on where. So much more can be done with this event but possibly a change would provide a fresh start for all sectors to regain full support

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 18/06/2013 18:28:12
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2013 :  16:56:04  Show Profile
I think Andrew (Kimber ) gets my vote for best comment for his anagram.
Barry; I will pass on your thanks to the NW Centre guys involved in the sprint. Some of whom I will see to-night at the NW Centre concourse evening. Ray.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000