Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Live - 2013
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2013 :  18:02:45  Show Profile
I agree with a lot of what has been said and I must admit that, for me, MG Live did not have the buzz that MG Silverstone had 10/20 years ago. I also agree with Jeremy, we must not forget that we (Triple-M owners) are just a small part of the MGCC so we cannot expect the event to be centred around our cars, but they should be a prominent part.

So, what do we Triple-M owners want? Do we want a race meeting, a social event or a combination of both?

If we want a race meeting which includes a solely Triple-M race I think that is unfortunately out of the question because there are now many fewer Triple-M owners with race licences (less than 20). There are a variety of reasons for this, some of which are that racing generally is much more expensive now than it was twenty years ago, the cars’ owners are getting older and do not want to race anymore and there is much more officialdom today which has to be adhered to. The best we can hope for is a pre-war race, which would include T types and other marques. I know Fred Boothby is co-ordinating our effort to get a pre-war grid next year and I wish him every success. I also know that Triple-M ‘racers’ do not like racing on the GP circuit at Silverstone because it does not suit our cars. However, if a Triple-M race was held at any other circuit without any other attractions I do not think many people, especially overseas members, would bother to go and watch the race, so that leaves us with either a race meeting/social event (which MG Live is) or just a social event. The MGCC, as far as I know, do not organise any social events, it is the Centres and Registers that organise them. I do not know how many Triple-M cars there were at Silverstone last weekend but I suspect there were less than we had at the Triple-M Register Summer Gathering last year, which was 61 cars, but I suspect that there were many more Triple-M owners at MG Live than there were at the Summer Gathering, so what does that tell us? I am not sure.

As Jeremy has commented, there were only four Triple-M cars in the California Cup, why? That is not the fault of the MGCC, our members obviously did not want to take part. Jeremy also pointed out that there were only a couple of cars in the Concours/POO which was free to enter. Are these facts an indication that the majority of Triple-M owners do not want to take part in competitive events? I suspect so.

The sprint was reasonably well supported by Triple-M cars, there were 9 cars entered and I gather that it was enjoyed by those that took part. If MG Live moved to another race circuit, as has been suggested in several postings above, it would not be possible to have a sprint at the same time as a race meeting.

I will not pass judgement on the non MG attractions because I have no idea as to what the MGCC paid to put them on, and that is the crucial point, all I will say is that my grandchildren liked watching Russ Swift and the stunt bicycles and were disappointed that there was no bouncy castle!

To those people that have said that they will not be attending MG Live next year I ask, what changes would you like to see made so that you would attend next year? We must all be positive, it is no good just criticising the things we do not like we must tell the MGCC what we want. I think one thing that would make Triple-M members much happier would be to have the Triple-M Register parking near to the main marquee. This year our parking area was the furthest from the main marquee. Personally, I think that the oldest cars should be the nearest to the main marquee and the newest the furthest away. There was no Triple-M focal point this year other than the library stall in the main marquee because the Triple-M parking was, for various reasons, not in one place. I expect we will be told it was because Silverstone declared the event a ‘wet meeting’ on Saturday morning and no parking was allowed on the grass. Nevertheless, our originally allocated parking area was the furthest Register parking area from the main marquee. I will certainly be making the point to the MG Live organisers that the Triple-M cars should be parked close to the main marquee next year.

Finally, a little reminder for any Triple-M enthusiast who would like to attend an informal Triple-M social event with BBQ lunch (and a concours / POO and light hearted gymkhana for those that want to take part), that this year’s Summer Gathering will be held on Sunday, 7th July. An entry form is available from the website (document downloads section) or directly from me. Fingers crossed for good weather!!

Peter
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2013 :  19:57:37  Show Profile
I have just looked at the Triple-M entrants for the VSCC Spring start Silverstone meeting in April. The cars were - M type, Kayne special plus 3 J2s, KN/K3 rep, PA, 2 PBs, C type, NA, NB, Q rep and a D making 14 cars in total. In addition there were 4 T ypes including 2 TCs - I thought the VSCC only accepted the pre war TA and TBs! Enough cars for a grid for a Triple-M/T type race!

The VSCC racing was over the short circuit and the meeting continues to be popular with racers and the public who turned up in numerous pre-war cars.

In addition to the Triple-M entry in the MG Live sprint there were only 4 T types racing. That means we were not the only Register suffering from a lack of entries, I also noticed there were far fewer spectator driven T types this year.

I agree with Peter's comment about the Triple-M car parking, we were siuated at the furthest point away from the main marquee in contrast to the 5 or so Vintage cars parked immediately out side the marquee and the 10 or so SVWs also parked nearby.

This dabate has attracted much comment from our members, I wonder if the same is happening in any of the other Registers?

I reckon this topic must hold the record for the most postings/viewings on our Triple-M web site!

George
L2023.
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2013 :  20:09:46  Show Profile
What about a event like pre war Prescott where anyone can go up the hill in none racing conditions (I'd go as fast as I could thou Somone could have a stop watch at the top) that sounds fun at another hill climb place or Somthing.
I think the wheather has killed a lot of events especially last year that's maybe why it's been poor this year!
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2013 :  21:09:13  Show Profile
28 entries in last 18 months at various race events. Triple M cars. I ve been through the records. Fred and I are already contacting that list to warm them up.

So I say there is an opportunity even if some have hung up their race boots. I m right behind Fred in making this work and proving we are still a significant part of the club. I want to be on the grid next year and there are a few others contemplating it too.

Maybe silverstone isn't right, but what about other MGCC race meets like Brands?

MG live is quoted as a huge success for the MGCC so yes maybe with times changing, we just need to change our approach.

I ll shortly send out an online survey to assess the racers needs and preferences. Let's see what we can achieve for 2014 and make a statement in our 90th year ! ( I think that's right)

Stay positive chaps, i might be slightly over optimistic but i think we Can make this Work!

Mark Dolton

Edited by - Dolts on 18/06/2013 21:17:33
Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2013 :  21:53:04  Show Profile

2014 is the 80th anniversary of the introduction of the PA, NA and Q types. I cannot recall, or see any reference in the 2009 Yearbook, that special recognition of this was made at the 75th year point.

If this is so, would it not be appropriate for the Triple-M Register to celebrate this significant milestone next year? Surely this should stimulate a large number of the MMM community to return to the event.

Powerplus
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2013 :  21:58:50  Show Profile
I browsed on the web and found some comments on a modern MG forum and it seems that they loved the event. For many modern MG owners, this must be the big event of the year. There are a lot more of them than us!

Being a devil's advocate, we may think our cars are more special (i.e. expensive) than MGB's and MGA's etc, but they may think we're boring old toffs in slow square cars! Or "oldies" as it was put on that forum. I write as the father of 2 teenage sons...

I couldn't go this year because of Mrs C's knee, but I would have gone, even though I found it tedious last year, because I support the principles of the MGCC and the role it has to play in making sure we can continue to use our cars. Oh dear! I'm pontificating.

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
467 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2013 :  23:14:58  Show Profile
MGB and midget people seem a bit perplexed at the whole Live thing from what I have read.

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  04:14:37  Show Profile
If the Triple-M owners don't get out and strut their stuff in front of the "modern" MGs, who will buy our cars when we are gone?

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  09:53:59  Show Profile
An interesting and thought provoking post, Peter.

MG Live is organised, as you would expect, for the majority view. However if you look at the minority pre-war registers the Vintage and SVW registers managed to get themselves pride of place outside the main marquee. How did they manage that? We have proved that questionnaires and committee meetings don't work. So perhaps we should take a more realistic approach and allocate Messrs Morbey and Green an entertainments budget so they can apply a little influence in the 'right' places.

Peter

Edited by - Peter Scott on 19/06/2013 09:54:47
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  11:09:39  Show Profile
I travelled all the way from Glasgow and had a great time on the Sunday. I was able to view cars similar to mine, note how things were fitted, chatted to other owners, was shown underbonnet areas, discussed problems/solutions, met with suppliers who I only ever speak to on the phone and picked up a number of spares. Maybe I should have mentioned earlier that the car I am referring to is my wife's 2005 MG TF not the M Type. I searched for ages to find were MMM cars were displayed and all I found was a solitary M Type. My young grandsons wanted to find a car to support in the races and picked two Jowett Jupiters since they had seen them in the Paddock area and one of the owners had shown them the engine. Two Jowetts - that's 100% more than M Types at a MG event.

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  11:15:01  Show Profile
Just had an Idea as we mmm ers are now the minority why don't the club let all mmm cars and vintage mg's in for free and if needed put the ticket price up £1 to compensate for it.
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  12:16:21  Show Profile
Jan,
There were 2 M Types down at the Stowe Circuit Sprint - Frank might even have been persuaded to give a half-shaft changing masterclass!

JH
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  13:37:46  Show Profile
Hi Greg,

A good point you have raised. One of the reasons I go to events is to look at other cars, see where mine is wrong and note how things are screwed together. Since cars are the main attraction shouldn't the show organisers pay the owners a fee for exhibiting? I wonder if the trick cyclists or the air acrobat paid an entry fee.

By the way Greg did you get my email regarding the spares for my friend in New Zealand? Spoke to your father but he couldn't remember your personal email address.

Cheers

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  17:36:44  Show Profile
I missed it all myself but can only conclude that y'all were at a different event. Apparently it was a great success http://www.mgcc.co.uk/mglive-2013-a-huge-success/
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  18:22:02  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by talbot

Two Jowetts - that's 100% more than M Types at a MG event.

Jan T

There were at least three M types on saturday - two are in the attached picture, if you look hard enough - but more to the point, count the moderns on the hill behind - MMMs are vastly outnumbered and the fact is we are but a small link in the chain. It would seem logical, though, to arrange the cars in some sort of order, oldest near the marquee (there are less of 'em for a start!)fanning out to the newer cars, and not just random as it seemed to be.

And another thing! Racing is probably impractical for the majority, but perhaps sprints, hillclimbs and driving tests are more attainable?

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000