Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 1933 MGCC Abingdon to Abingdon Trial
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2013 :  10:59:04  Show Profile
David,

All of the Trials and Rally books produced by the late Donald Cowbourne are now out of print and the publishers, Smith Settle & Company were anxious to get rid of the remaining stocks which were cluttering up their warehouse. A company in West Sussex dealing with motoring books and artifacts acquired all of the remaining stocks and the last I heard (a few months ago) were selling them off for £25.00 each plus postage. If you or anyone else are interested I can provide contact details.

I am not involved in this operation in any way, other than as an owner and frequent reader of all four volumes of the Cowbourne books.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2013 :  13:12:18  Show Profile
Thank you Colin - that would be very much appreciated. Can you email me the contact details of the West Sussex company when you get a moment please?

Here is a much better quality photo of Mac's 2nd Class Award. You can see the EPNS is a little worn at 10 o'clock, and I was tempted to have it replated. However, I think it's much nicer to maintain this original wear, even more so if there was ever a chance that the wear was created by 'Mrs MacDermid' (or even Mac himself!) whilst doing her periodic cleaning of the item!...

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2013 :  14:45:46  Show Profile
Two items of educational 'light reading' have just arrived - 75 Years of the J2 and Wheelspin - I'm very pleased with both of those acquisitions.

Edited by - Cowley on 15/05/2013 16:32:08
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2013 :  16:04:14  Show Profile
Mike Hawke's '75 years of the J2' can be bought in new condition (well' it IS new!) also for £25 - from our very own Register Library Shop at this site! See http://www.triple-mshop.org/products-page/books/

Dick
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 13/05/2013 16:05:30
Go to Top of Page

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2013 :  16:25:50  Show Profile
Many thanks Dick - I have just removed the link in my post then, so that the Register receives any potential subsequent orders rather than another outside source.

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2013 :  16:22:19  Show Profile
Would anybody know what R A MacDermid's full name was please - or was he just always initialised R A or nicknamed 'Mac'?

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2013 :  18:40:47  Show Profile
The R was for Robert. He joined the Royal Navy & was commissioned in Feb 1940 and reached the rank of Cdr. He was still a serving officer when he died in 1952, leaving no immediate family. If you want to trace the "path" of your MGCC award, your best bet would be to start with the person who sold it to you, go backwards & see where it leads.

JH

& A was for Alexander....

Edited by - JMH on 14/05/2013 19:11:26
Go to Top of Page

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2013 :  20:48:58  Show Profile
Many thanks for that JH - that is most helpful.

I sent a message to the seller as soon as it arrived. He said he was at an auction about 6 to 8 years ago and a lot of rally collectables came up from one seller. He didn't win any of the rally related lots apparently, but did buy a couple of boxes of mixed items - the award was in one of the boxes. The only thing else he said was that he never knew how the item came to be in West Wales.

Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000