Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 1933 MGCC Abingdon to Abingdon Trial
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  15:02:02  Show Profile
Good afternoon Cat, and thank you for your comments.

I am very pleased to know that my suggestion that 'Mac' used J2416 during 1933 was indeed quite correct, and even more importantly, that he used it to win the 2nd Class Award (that I am lucky to have acquired - see Post #2) on the 1933 MGCC Abingdon to Abingdon Trial as well.

I am so used to using the internet to research more modern subjects, it is actually very much more rewarding looking through period magazines and official programmes as you quite rightly stated. However, I'm sure I'm not the only one to get totally distracted by an unconnected advert on an adjoining page, or the sight of a marvellously evocative image on another page - very addictive!

My next aim is to actually be able to afford to buy some of the wonderful books that you have all quoted within these pages, as at present, several of them are beyond my current means.

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  15:11:40  Show Profile
I also notice that there are two photos within the Pictures - Historical - Musketeers section of the main site that show the trophies that both Jack Bastock and Archie Langley won with the Three Musketeers team during the 1935/6 season. Right at the bottom in the middle there appear to be several more of the small round EPNS ash tray awards that seem to look identical to the one I have.

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  16:36:46  Show Profile
Cat, you kindly pointed me towards a book entitled 'British Trial Drivers, Their Cars & Awards 1929-1939' by Donald Cowbourne...

...but do you know if it covers the 1933 MGCC Abingdon to Abingdon Trial?

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  18:12:28  Show Profile
The May 2013 issue of Enjoying MG from the MG Owners Club has an article on the Colmore Trials by Malcolm Green. In there is a photo showing R.A. Macdermid in his J2 on Kineton Hill.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  20:50:08  Show Profile
David,
I have a photo of a page from Motorsport October 1933 in the Club News section that gives a very brief description of the A to A Trial along with the awards, if Nick will attach the picture for me,

Regards
David D

Insert Image:

Edited by - Dow on 10/05/2013 06:26:17
Go to Top of Page

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  21:29:57  Show Profile
Thank you Lew - any chance you can scan it and upload it here?

Thank you as well David - I'd love to see that if Nick would oblige.

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  21:53:59  Show Profile

Edited by - Dow on 10/05/2013 12:47:46
Go to Top of Page

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2013 :  22:10:04  Show Profile
That's superb guys! So nice to see actual mention of 'Mac' winning the actual 2nd Class Award that I now have. Many thanks.

I have also just picked up 'Wheelspin' by C.A.N. May, and '75 Years of the MG J2' by Mike Hawke this evening as well!

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  01:01:47  Show Profile
The article runs to about 4 pages, so its a bit big to post. There are probably also copyright issues. However, I'm sure someone in the UK has a copy you might be able to copy or buy.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  12:09:45  Show Profile
No problems Lew - totally understand.

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  14:00:00  Show Profile
Hello David,
Within the last few days I have a results list, culled from Motor Sport, which lists Mac as having won a second class award. Sadly no entry list seems to have survived. The car was definitely J 2416, which Miles Collier bought and took back to the USA towards the end of 1934, I think, where work is going on trying to trace it. I have a photo file of it in the States in 1934-37, but am away from home for a week so cannot lay may hands on this at present.
Best wishes,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  15:18:42  Show Profile
Good afternoon Mike... ...THE Mike Allison?

Thank you Mike. Would those be the same Motor Sport results that David has kindly posted further up this page, or something different? It is a shame that no entry list has survived however.

Thank you also for your additional information re J2416 after 'Mac' used it during 1933. The 1993 MMM Yearbook states that it is a non-survivor. Are you of a different opinion then?

What about my other earlier find that the car was acquired by Sam (someone?) and entered in the 1934 Le Mans 24 Hours - but was too late?

Nick Feakes

USA
3378 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  15:20:37  Show Profile
Lew
If you can get permission from the MGOC for us to publish the article (with appropriate acknowledgement of course) then I will make it available through the download section
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  20:42:59  Show Profile
Gentlemen,
Cowbourne only lists Motor Cycling Club events and other major trials. No M.G.C.C. ones unfortunately. This is an extremely worthwhile book for the researcher as it lists every entrant and many car details!
It was a big enough job to do what he did
It would be Sam Collier that bought the car and raced it against his brother Miles in various event in the USA. (See American Road Racing by Rutter). The Le Mans Register does not mention that Sam entered in 1934, but brother Miles entered with Lewis Welch in the PA in 1939. (See Safety Fast February 2011)

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Cowley

United Kingdom
97 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2013 :  21:31:29  Show Profile
Thank you Mike - that is most helpful.

I won't bother getting Cowbourne's book on this occasion then, but will certainly bear it in mind if I need that sort of material in the future.

This is the link to the American source of information that I found on J2416. Have a look at pages 15 and 29 of the following 9mb file...

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/8210/racingmgsinamericadurin.pdf

The above file also has other references to Sam Collier's J2 within the 93 pages - happy reading!

Edited by - Cowley on 09/05/2013 21:33:29
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000