Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Brooklands NA Magnette for Auction.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 17/07/2013 :  10:16:50  Show Profile
Onno, If you read John Wallinger's article in the 2001 Yearbook you will see that whilst the outside appearance of the engine might look like an N Type, John altered so much inside that it could not be compared to a standard car, even one in fairly extreme race tune. He must have spent an absolute fortune on the car, and obviously he had great technical knowlege and ability, but even in 2001 I was left with the question, why? What was it all for? Did the car ever race ? Why develop the engine to the "nth" degree, just for it to lug a massive great heavy N Type chassis around. If he had put the engine into a space framed body with independent suspension all round and competed in sprints and hill-climbs as a special, there would have been some point to it all.

As it is, the car has no connection whatever with Brooklands, and has commanded an outrageous price at auction, for a modern special which on the open market is probably worth much closer to £50,000 (or even less) than £100,000.

And don't get me started on the standard of preparation. Looks wonderful until you get an eyeful of the £10s worth of Plumbase 15mm plumbing materials from which the water rail is made. That really grates !

Colin B. (Mr Grumpy, Mark 2)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000