Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Valuable Registration Number
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Manivelle

Belgium
1 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  15:02:56  Show Profile
Hello,

I’m from Belgium, I just bought a 1931 MG type M in Holland.
The car came from England back in 1999 and has all the UK-paperwork.
Registration number in UK is “LS2703”
I have heard the weariest history’s about UK registration numbers.

I consulted the DVLA-website about the number (LS2703)
Vehicle enquiry
Date of Liability 01 02 1997
Date of First Registration 30 05 1931
Year of Manufacture 1931
Cylinder Capacity (cc) 885cc

I don’t know if the registration number is transferable or not.
Can anybody give me any information about this and the value of the number?
Sincereley,
Guido
Please post to omeguido@yahoo.com

G

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  15:33:44  Show Profile
Hello Guido

Welcome to the Triple-M forum and to Triple-M ownership.

There is a good market here in the UK for Registration numbers, one company which can give valuations is www.regtransfers.co.uk

I am not sure if a number can be sold by an overseas owner but the UK licencing agency DVLA handle all matters relating to Registration numbers. You can obtain the necessary information from the DVLA web site.

It is a pity if an original number is lost to a car, if it was re-imported to the UK it would have to have a different age related number allocated to it.

George
L2023
Triple-M No 994
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  16:19:18  Show Profile
DVLA have run out of age related numbers [as far as MMM is concerned]
You now get 3 letters then 3 numbers - probably late 1950's
see 2M2031 which is XAS417 or J4198 which is XAS214
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  21:17:25  Show Profile
You may find that the number is already a 'non-transferable' one - this will be printed on the front of the V5C (blue or red) document.

If all you have is the old brown or green RF.60 'log-book', the number is non-transferable in most cases.

Unless you intend to keep the 'M' for ever, you may well find that you will lose more with a re-allocated number than you gain by selling the number.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Gideon

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  22:29:03  Show Profile
Hi Guido,
I would have to second what Bob wrote. You would probably find that maintaining the right to the car's original plate would be a more financially prudent move than selling it (or trying to). That said, you would only actually be able to sell the plate by first jumping through all of the re-registration hoops in the UK first. Once re-registered by the DVLA and the original plate officially sanctioned by them, you could then transfer it to a retention document and try to sell it. Of course the first step would be to move to England, so that you could register the car in the first place.
I think by this point you might be in agreement with Bob and I. I know that you are only after opinions here, but regretfully mine is that this particular plate might not be worth the cost of a new home in England, importing the car etc etc etc besides which the car will always appeal (at least to some), no matter where in the world, if it retains the right (at least) to it's original plate.
All that aside, congratulations on your new purchase and enjoy!

Gideon
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2013 :  07:51:13  Show Profile
Hi Guido

I see that nobody has commented on value yet

When trying to assess the value, these internet registration companies charge astronomic fees, so the price you see on the website is a completely different price to money you would receive if you jumped through the DVLA hoops and instructed them to sell on your behalf. You also have to wait an age for a buyer to be found.

For example several weeks ago I purchased MG 22?? for just over £2,000. It has for the past couple of years been offered on two registration sites for £3875 and £4,420 but did not sell. The owner took the plate back from them and sold it to me privately (via the internet) for the price he would have received if he had sold it through them.

Therefore , I suspect your plate is possibly worth in the region of £2000 max if sold privately and possibly rather less. We purchased another fairly attractive two letter four digit plate privately around 3 years ago and paid £1200 again privately although through the internet.

There is not great value in the plate and over the past 5 years, values have dropped. Many reg. transfer sites do not always reflect this however. It would be nice to think your reg.no can stay with the car and especially if there was any possibility the car may ever return to the UK as otherwise you will knock the car's value on the basis of Tony's earlier comments

Hope this helps and hope you enjoy your M type.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2013 :  10:34:47  Show Profile
The number plate is part of the vehicles history. It should stay with the car, and it will assist in a future sale as others have said.

RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2013 :  10:45:27  Show Profile
The car will also need a valid U.K M.O.T certificate before a transfer can be arranged (irrespective of its age). Rich
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
691 Posts

Posted - 22/06/2013 :  11:29:39  Show Profile
Since the car will have been exported from the UK as shown on the DVLA records there is a potential issue when it comes to be re-registered in the UK. It will be necessary to provide documentary proof that the car is entitled to the number. Here the original brown or green log book RF60 is most useful. Alternatively, documentation that shows continuity of association between the chassis number and registration number is also acceptable and the early sales invoice for the car maybe held by the club and have both chassis number and registration number recorded on the invoice. This coupled with the V5 document you should have received with the car should allow all to proceed smoothly.

Gordon
ex owner of PB 0331, MG4473
Derby
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2013 :  00:05:31  Show Profile
Is “LS2703” considered to be a valuable number? If so, why?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2013 :  16:21:44  Show Profile
'cos for instance somebody with the initials LS might fancy it - especially if they were born on the 27th March or the number has some other significance for them.
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 26/06/2013 :  22:12:34  Show Profile
Presumably this car is the 891 on the register, and if so please, please, keep the registration with the car. As has already been said, it is the history of the car.
Merci, Mike

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000