Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Factory Photographs
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2013 :  05:59:29  Show Profile
The 'bump' reached me on a Greek Island, where there are very few factory pics to be found - in fact none at all.

The archive of them exists in other hands than mine.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  06:07:27  Show Profile
J3485's gearbox was black and the car green...

Cheers from Romania

P
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6141 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2013 :  20:01:29  Show Profile
Bump!
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3104 Posts

Posted - 25/10/2013 :  21:02:46  Show Profile
Some engines in the factory -

Sam
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2013 :  00:04:02  Show Profile
They must be MG's but where are the "tins" to disguise the engine blocks?
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2013 :  00:06:16  Show Profile
Having been "away from my desk" for some days, Sam these look like ENV boxes to me, of which I know nothing; I'm only refering to Wolseley ones, & I'm still convinced their alloy casings were painted!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6141 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2013 :  03:15:15  Show Profile
Dave,

The photo I posted above from Modern Motor Repair would certainly support your view that the boxes were painted. And black rather than red?
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2013 :  12:33:05  Show Profile
I think I said before, yes, in my very original green J2, J3485, the box was painted black.

The boxes in the above photo are ENV so the engines probably MG F Type and not Wolseley and the colour looks too light for the production cars too... I understand from Dutch friends that the Stiles cars had their engines painted very pale green...

Note the nickel plated starter too...

Cheers

P

PS the under-pump oil filter is worth a mention too...

Edited by - PeterL on 29/10/2013 12:36:36
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2013 :  19:27:45  Show Profile
Simon & Peter L, I have no strong views on actual colours, merely the fact of paint itself.

My own P when bought in 1966 had substantial traces of red paint on the casing &, being in the "student banger" phase of her life, I think it unlikely anyone had bothered to paint. It seems to me quite likely that Js were black & Ps red, but who knows other than your photo Simon? There's no doubt that the 'box is painted, & "in period" but, it is of course particularly difficult to estimate actual colour from B&W in earlier times when red, on ortho film, appeared as black.

It has always seemed to me that when you're building a £200 car, you don't go to the trouble of painting individual parts of a major mechanical component, you assemble the part, here an engine/bellhousing/gearbox lump, & then paint the lot. On the cast iron parts it keys well & will last; on the smooth alloy g/box casing it will not.

Of course, for the same reason, would you ever paint an engine red or green & gearbox black? Surely they'd all be the same colour, which would also be better aesthetically? Was any Triple M engine ever painted black?

All a long way from "Factory Photos" i'm afraid, but at least it keeps the topic going; sorry Nick!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2013 :  21:16:27  Show Profile
The photo shows very early production F type engines. Note the crosstube ENV gearboxes being used up.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Eric Taylor

France
157 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2013 :  21:37:00  Show Profile
Presumably the engine on the test bed has some form of wireless ignition!

Eric Taylor
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2013 :  22:57:35  Show Profile
Well spotted Eric, I wondered why he had a rather puzzled posture!

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2013 :  23:05:25  Show Profile
F1344 had a crosstube ENV box...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6141 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2013 :  08:31:53  Show Profile
Like all good threads, this is going hopelessly off course and raising all sorts of interesting points. But Dave, please don't misunderstand me - I wasn't disagreeing with you. My initial comment about whether the photo you posted supported the view that the gearboxes were painted was merely my take on the photo and not a suggestion that you were wrong. And in posting the photo from the Modern Motor Repair manual I was simply offering additional support to your thesis, but not expressing a view on the colour - simply asking the question.

But at the end of the day I suspect there is no definitive answer. Wolsley may have painted their gearboxes black before delivery to MG so you could have a black gear box and a red engine; or the gearboxes may have been delivered in bare metal, bolted to the engine and then the whole thing painted. Who knows? Eighty years on I think it's down to personal preference and in fact I'm minded to paint mine black which will, I think, look better with the black carpets. Of course YMMV!
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6141 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2013 :  08:33:44  Show Profile
But back to the original purpose of the thread - what about the factory photos?????
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000