Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 on car wheel balancing
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  14:15:42  Show Profile
Not specifically MMM, but does anyone know where I can get on car wheel balancing done in the Sussex/ Hampshire/Surrey area ? Alternatively somewhere that has the correct cones for centre lock wire wheel balancing ?
Vibrating in anticipation ! Graham

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  14:45:06  Show Profile
Graham - do you have a wheel that's particularly bad?

I've done it manually on a car with 19" wheels & 14" drums (cast iron) and it was quite straightforward. Put car on axle stands, back off the brakes, put a chalk/tape mark on the tyre & then position wheel at 12 o'clock, 1 o'clock etc. and let go - gravity does it's bit if it's out of balance! Then tape small weights 180 degrees from heaviest point...
I actually did this first with the wheel removed & found the drums out of balance but of course you can negate this imbalance by doing the wheel & drum together. Either way you must mark the wheel position on the hub or drum.

Edited by - etlanpa on 06/08/2013 14:46:31
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  15:00:25  Show Profile
Thanks Adrian. No problems with the PB, but MGA has typical bad vibration at 55mph then goes as speed increase. Just need a wheel balancer who is set up for centre lock wheels. Most tyre firms machines don't have the correct cones.

Graham

Edited by - graham holdsworth on 06/08/2013 15:02:50
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  17:47:21  Show Profile
Graham,
when you ask your nearby tyre-shop about the shaft diameter of their balancing machine, then you can machine a old scr@p rear hub to the diameter of that shaft, and bring it along every time when you have a wire wheel for balancing.
Gerhard

Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2013 :  18:21:59  Show Profile
Hi Graham,

There are available static wheel balancing set ups for use in a small workshop. I got one about 3 - 4 years ago probably from eBay though I cannot now remember. The cost was about £30. With this (which is basically a vertical needle point pivot on which can be hung a conical mounting piece having a circular bubble level at its centre) and a pack of stick on rim mounted weights, you are good to go.

For our narrow large diameter wheels my experience is that static balance is more important than dynamic. (Note that the hub mounting plus chalk mark method mentioned earlier by Adrian is only static as well.) Also in my experience the most difficult part of wheel balance is getting the tyre on the rim centrally, particularly with 400 x 19 tyres. When I was running on 450 x 19s I did not ever find the need to balance the wheels, but after the change in size there is an annoying period around and just over 60 mph that does respond to static balancing if I do not wish to take up the front shock absorbers a bit too tightly for road or trials use.

More technical ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
PB Abergavenny
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  10:07:02  Show Profile
Graham,
I bought one of the wheel balancers decribed by Andrew, a few years ago, but for one reason or another I have not yet tried it out. It is brand new but was in a sale, so no instructions, nor supply of sticky wheel weights. You are welcome to borrow it to try your luck. You need a dead flat floor, and the wheel to be balanced is simply placed on the top housing, centralised over the bubble, and any imbalance is very clear to see. My regular tyre man in Worthing (a super guy wh races a motorcycle combination), always uses one and his work is spot on every time.

I live in Southwick, West Sussex, so on a windy day, a good spit from Washington will probably end up in my garden.

If you want to try it, give me a ring sometime on 01273 596030.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  13:42:46  Show Profile
Colin. Thanks for your kind offer, I may take you up on it if I can't find someone to do on car balancing.
By the way ,a good spit from Washington would probably end up in Haywards Heath as the wind is mostly from the SW !
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  17:23:40  Show Profile
Graham, should you find such a garage, would you post their details please? I near Lewes would be interested.

About 40 years ago Motorway T & A in Crawley used to do this for me however they ceased doing so long ago & I don't think they exist any more.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

John Haine

United Kingdom
208 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  23:09:24  Show Profile
I take my daughter's MGB wheels to Chessington Tyres in Haslemere (fix it Daddy!). They seem to be able to balance them OK John
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2013 :  14:57:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Oz34

Graham, should you find such a garage, would you post their details please? I near Lewes would be interested.

Dave. Perhaps too far too far away for you but I just had my MGA wheels on car balanced by Bill Rawles Classic Cars at Four Marks near Petersfield
http://www.rawlesclassiccars.co.uk/services/tyres.php Excellent service, recommended. They also use the bubble balancer mentioned above.
Graham

Dave

Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2013 :  15:51:35  Show Profile
Isn't there something you put into the inner tube that balances automatically?

Perhaps it was April 1st but I seem to recall being told of it...

cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2013 :  15:59:42  Show Profile
Peter,

Yes there are. Check out http://www.innovativebalancing.com/index.php
I expect you have a source in the UK, as well.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2013 :  17:24:08  Show Profile
FWIW UK supplier:

http://www.dynabeads.co.uk/

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2013 :  17:56:09  Show Profile
MGA has tubeless tyres ! Never had any balance problems with the PB.
Graham
PB0602
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2013 :  18:15:20  Show Profile
Based in Brighton, I have used ' Fields Tyres ' 15 Saint Josephs Close, Hove BN3 7ES. They have replaced our MGB tyres and we received good service. I did mention that I had early Rovers ( 1930s )and they said that it was no problem to deal with those. Phone : 01273-820860

Chris ( J2353 )

Brighton, East Sussex & Paphos, Cyprus.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2013 :  10:21:38  Show Profile
Been "away from my desk" for a couple of weeks so apologies for delayed response Graham. Yes, Four Marks is quite a trek, but a lovely run on my beloved A272; I may give them a try for MY MGA.

Chris, your Brighton people are obviously a lot closer, but do they balance on the car? I can get ordinary balancing done close to home.

I've read previously of Dynabeads & similar. Has anyone actual experience as it sounds to me almost too good to be true; a bit like this Evans waterless coolant!

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000