Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Too many Austins, too many MGs?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 13/11/2013 :  22:34:01  Show Profile
Ah! That nasty word "invest".

I'm not so pessimistic. There's plenty more old car people coming along. Nice cars will always be a sought after commodity. Until the petrol runs out....

But if Riley Imp prices crash, I'll be a happy man.

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2013 :  01:15:32  Show Profile
Have a look its only about 3 weeks oil.

http://www.wealthdaily.com/articles/investing-in-classic-cars/4748

RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page

Krod

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 24/01/2014 :  17:16:35  Show Profile
As to the original posters comments about the younger people having a lack of interest in vintage vehicles.

A big part of this is not a lack of interest, but a lack of affordability of vintage vehicles. I would love a triple M MG, but the amount of money that is needed to purchase one these days will make me an old man before I could even consider it.

The reality is that most "older" people who own vintage cars at this point purchased them when they were just old cars and the prices for them reflected this. Someone trying to get into the hobby these days as a younger person is faced with a extremely steep entrance fee. As such, regardless of interest, vintage cars are simply made of unobtainium for us younger crowd.

Mostly us young people sit here on the sidelines quietly living vicariously through you old folks and your enjoyment of such great vehicles.
Go to Top of Page

Ralph

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2014 :  00:37:09  Show Profile
Kroc, it is the same for us oldies as I owned an MG j2 in the 1960s when the cost of purchase was £100. However there is no chance of me ever owning one again as even in unrestored condition, they are now way beyond my pension, so it's not just young people who suffer!!!!
Go to Top of Page

Krod

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2014 :  04:28:06  Show Profile
Ralph,

You lucky devil for having had the chance to ever own a J2. I have a big love for J2s after a very lovely couple turned me on to J2s a couple years ago at the amelia Island concours d'Elegance. They were the nicest people I have ever met at any car show and were all to happy to answer my endless spew of questions I had about this car which I had never heard of before.

I have no doubt they would have let me sit in it, but its not exactly the sort of car show which is appropriate for that and Im not exactly young enough where that would have been "cute". Im just young compared to most of the people on this board. I regret it now and wish I had asked just for a chance to sit behind the wheel.

So, for those asking where us young people are. We are here, we just can't get in the doors. I just gotta keep putting money aside bit by bit; year by year.
Go to Top of Page

Ralph

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2014 :  12:05:02  Show Profile
Krod, that's the best thing about mmm people, they are a particularly nice bunch of Folks who are really willing to help both in finding parts to superb technical knowledge, and it has been a privilege to be on here discussing points of interest.
I first joined because someone wanted some history on my old J2, and since the I have been writing backwards and forwards to its present owner , Nev Churcher, who now cherishes it, and I am just glad that I experienced ownership for a couple of years when I was 18.
You, I expect, are young enough to find a basket case in the US, and slowly restore it. I am sure someone over the Pond will help you achieve your dreams.
Ralph
Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2014 :  23:00:34  Show Profile
The Montréal MG Car Club was formed in 1952 (Russell Lowry was the Corresponding Overseas Secretary). At the time we had a mixture of Ts, SVAs and Triple M MGs, That was 62 years ago. Only 3 of the original members remain, and I am the only one still with an original T. The rest have migrated to something more commodious with such frightening contrivances like heaters (God forbid), fixed windscreens, and gearboxes that mesh without making noise.

Bottom line is that most of our members are in their late 60s to mid 80s and slowly, one-by-one, they are dropping out. Their MGs (mostly MGBs) are being stored at the back of their garages and basically, abandoned. And sadly the club no longer boasts the 400 members we once had.

We simply don't have any younger members, and an MGB, let alone a T or Triple M, just doesn't cut it with the young crowd. Kids today have much more disposable income that we ever dreamed of at that age, so they opt for 600HP "chick-magnet" Mustangs and the like, which in Canada, can sell for as little as $45,000 CAD and a line of credit valid 'till Doomsday!

Our membership has scratched its collective heads (those who have something left to scratch), and we are still seeking solutions.

Gord Clark #392
Rockburn, Qué.
Go to Top of Page

Tony Dolton

United Kingdom
372 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2014 :  12:59:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Bob Stringfield

At my local Online Austin 7 Club, an announcement was made that the number of pre-war Austin Sevens now in use or preservation now exceeds 10,000.

Given the well-documented and general lack of interest in vintage vehicles by younger people, - my descendants included - just how many Austins, and MGs for that matter, will end up back on the scr@pheap?

At the recent Lupin Farm charity meeting in Staffordshire, some members of a local MG Club asked me to move the PA, a man with an SV saloon pointing out that theirs was an MG Club for modern cars, 'not that old stuff'.

Rescue plan, anybody?

Bob.

Go to Top of Page

semisport

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2014 :  14:32:18  Show Profile
The fact that there are 10,000 surviving Austin Sevens is surely a cause for celebration, particularly as this number is growing and not diminishing, which must equate to an expanding interest in the model. Prices of pre-war cars in general continue to rise and this is well illustrated within the Triple M community. If prices were falling then I might go along with the profits of doom who believe we should be concerned about the future of our cars - but the market place doesn't reflect that. Sensibly priced cars are sold very quickly which clearly indicates that there is no lack of demand. Similarly the time to be concerned is when 'investors' begin to ignore pre-war cars as a better than safe haven for their capital and not while they continue to invest. The old car club with which I'm involved has a growing membership, many of whom are far too young to have any form of historic ties to cars manufactured pre WW2 but that hasn't stopped them developing such an interest. While there are plenty of individuals wanting to own a chrome bumper MG B Roadster there are plenty more who would give their right arm for an opportunity to own a J2 and J2 prices reflect that! I for one see no reason for doom and gloom about the future of our cars.

Chris
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000