Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 SU Petrol Pump repair
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2013 :  07:48:14  Show Profile
Do any of our members undertake SU petrol pump repairs here in the UK
Price of a new one from Burlen is £94, a repair kit is £31.30, electronic pump conversion kit is £50.29 !!!

Regards
David D

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2013 :  10:24:47  Show Profile
David, It is not a very difficult job to undertake yourself - with the oncoming long wet winter evenings. I rebuilt one last year, and found it rather stimulating ! Certainly a job which I will be happy to repeat in the future.

One essential is to arm yourself with a couple of downloads from John James' splendid web magazine "Totally T-Type 2" which appeared in Issues 6 in June 2011 and issue 7 in August 2011. The writer of the two articles was Eric Lembrick who tells which bits of the Burlen Repair kit to keep and which to throw away !

Highly recommended.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 16/11/2013 10:25:46
Go to Top of Page

peter2369

United Kingdom
1 Posts

Posted - 16/11/2013 :  19:25:42  Show Profile
Hi Colin,

I saw those articles too. I noticed that Eric Lembrick is an anagram of Cecil Kimber! Is that too much of a coincidence?

Regards
Peter

Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2013 :  09:42:50  Show Profile
Yes, Peter, I think that it is a co-incidence. The Eric of the articles recommends the fitting of a transil to save the points. Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think transils had been invented in the 30s.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 17/11/2013 09:43:38
Go to Top of Page

BobRichards RIP

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2013 :  16:06:34  Show Profile
While I do not wish to denigrate the TTT-2 magazine in any way, I would like to point out that the articles on SU pump repair are availale on this very website as they were reproduced (with kind permission of John James)in the October and December 2011 issues of our own Triple M Bulletin.

To view these back issues of the bulletin, go to the Home page then select Bulletin/On the web. You'll find that the December issue also contains (in the Tips and Hints section)a piece from Ewan Harris about fitting a diode across the points. This would be an alternative to the fitting of a Transil. (Eric's article on fitting a Transil was also reproduced in a following Bulletin, despite the fact, as Colin says, that Transils were not invented in the 1930s.)
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 17/11/2013 :  18:31:12  Show Profile
My present Low pressure pump was converted by Don ( ? Howe I think it was before he passed away in the mid 90's) to give 13 gallons/hour instead of the standard 8 gals/hour.
He converted early MGB or Midget pumps by converting the HP coil to operate as a LP pump.
Any one remember how it was done ?

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2013 :  11:44:40  Show Profile
Colin,
Just to say thanks for the inspiration. Once I had the correct diaphragm and the rebuild kit from Burlen Salisbury, for my non standard pump, and I had read the SU pump repair article a few times, it took just a few hours to re-assemble and have the thing ticking as it should on the J. The only fiddly bit was setting the points travel by bending the stops on the rocker mechanism but a bit of care is all that is needed. A quite straight forward job on my quite good condition pump.

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2013 :  00:18:22  Show Profile
I have given up on SU pumps! I have put Fuelflos on a couple of cars (it started with my F2 Magna which had a troublesome Petrolift, so I have hidden a Fuelflo under the car). MGA's had a new (HP) model and I am told that the windings are breaking down due to age. The only trouble is that they "tick" all of the time but this is inaudible once the engine starts.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2013 :  00:24:52  Show Profile
Barry,

If the pump ticks all the time, it is an indication of a leak on the inlet side. It has nothing to do with coil windings.

David,

If you get your pump points from Burlen, there is no need to bend the adjustment. The points are pre-set up. I do dozens of pump rebuilds every year (for other people) and have never had to bend the points. Just adjust the diaphram according to the manual and all will be fine.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2013 :  06:10:50  Show Profile
Thanks Lew,
I just followed the Eric Lembrick article that quoted 0.09inch and 0.035inch . Adjustment of the two stops was necessary to achieve this. Is my pump now not adjusted correctly ? It ticks and pumps well. I adjusted (screwed in and out) the diaphragm as described in the article. I'm now doubting my re-building skills!

Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 24/11/2013 06:15:28
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2013 :  09:38:34  Show Profile
Lew, Your response is correct for SU pumps but the Fuelflo ticks
even when the bowls are full. I am told that they are solid-state and reliable.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2013 :  13:37:22  Show Profile
David,
All I can say is that I never adjust the points during installation. I find the factory setting just right. If your pump is working and strong, don't mess with it.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000